Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 PM

34 posts, read 121,055 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM

what are areas you want to stay away from in paris ?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
A friend of mine will be studying in Paris all next year. He found a cheap apartment in Montmartre though craigslist.
thanks for the tip

Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
The closer you are to the city center, the better it is. If you live off the Champs Elysees you are obviously in the most affluent area of Paris. Versailles and Saint Denis are also very nice. The areas to avoid would be the northeast banlieus (suburbs) like Aulnay and Gagny. Aulnay is very poor and is where the riots occured.

I stayed in Boulogne-Billancourt when I was in Paris, right by Place Marcel Sembat, and never had any problems. It is also an affluent area. I suggest finding something similar to Place Marcel Sembat where there is a convergence of multiple roads and a metro station. You will use the metro a lot and it helps to be close to a station.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM

50 posts, read 210,081 times
my favorite zone in paris is "la défense"

Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 PM

by the way i forgot to say that life is paris region is way expensive then in "province"

Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 AM

sooooo if you were me and I earned what your friend earns you would move to is.......?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 AM

It depends, if you really want to move from your current city and discover france, i would recommend going southern cities, weather is wayyyyyy better, life is cheaper and nature is much more beautiful. I live in Bordeaux and I can say its an awesome place to live, I have visited Pau, Paris and Lyon and I didn't like any. Many people here say that Nice is one of the best cities.
all of that is personal, if you tell me what you are looking for I may help you picking the place that suits you

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux View Post
It depends, if you really want to move from your current city and discover france, i would recommend going southern cities, weather is wayyyyyy better, life is cheaper and nature is much more beautiful. I live in Bordeaux and I can say its an awesome place to live, I have visited Pau, Paris and Lyon and I didn't like any. Many people here say that Nice is one of the best cities.
all of that is personal, if you tell me what you are looking for I may help you picking the place that suits you
well. I am moving to France because I've always wanted to and I've decided to take a chance and do something big. I want to either work with the airlies, rent apts or work for the Jamaican consulate as I'm a Jamaica. I want to experience European life. I don't mind the cold. I ofcourse want a decent apt even if it's small but in a good area. That's most important, that I be in a good area. I'm learning french and ofcourse plan on being fluent as possible. I def want to see as much of France as possible. I'm a single person that knows no one there. I'd be bringing a dog and a horse.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 AM

in your case many big cities would fit you:
Lille, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Lyon, Grenoble, Nice, Nantes,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe