Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:53 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Can I get it through to you that Europeans will not have an automatic right to settle here following Brexit, that the UK will have control over who it lets in, and that only those with qualifications and skills which we deem worthy will be allowed in, and not organised gangs of pickpokets or cash machine fraudsters.

You still don't get it? What prevents these people coming as tourists and simply just overstay? Nothing! You are hoping for a scenario which isn't realistic and cannot succeed.

Quote:
You do understand what Brexit means don't you or the current concept of free movement of people throughout the EU - see below and the Treaty of Maastricht and Lisbon Treaty which gave everyone the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, including new member states from Eastern Europe. Which is why we have millions of East European living in the UK.

I do. What Brexit will do is only make-belief. The NHS isn't gonna sack the Polish doctor and replace him/her with an English janitor. Don't you realise that the EU immigrants are boosting your economy in paying taxes and boosting services? They give you much more than they take, and I would be happy to take them here, as the Finnish lorry driver isn't gonna be a doctor anyway. The world doesn't work in the way that there are an X amount of jobs, and if the foreigners are being kicked out, all Britons will fulfill those positions. What if the English daycare nanny gets sacked because all the Polish children left the country and there's not enough English children around? Or what about your corner store which caters mostly for immigrants? You have to understand this.

Quote:
It's clearly an immigration peroblem if people are being allowed in, in orderv to commit crime or live off the state.

People can swim across the channel with or without Brexit and if you're giving them welfare checks it's not the EU's fault, but your government's.

Quote:
It's already changing with net figures for immgration substantially down and a further fall will occurr when the law states you don't have a legal right to live here. Currently everyone in the EU can live and work where they please within the EU and this won't be the case in relation to the UK following Brexit.

I guess that your government will be so over encumbered with requests that this or that foreign professional has to stay here and companies will fight for their Polish, French, Portuguese, Swedish etc workers, because otherwise it will hurt business.

Quote:
It's one of the three key pillars of the EU that people can live and work where they like within the EU.

You clearly don't understand the very principles at the heart of the EU if you don't understand the right to free movement of persons.

Ok, so explain to me why you think it's bad that the UK gets foreign professionals to work and pay taxes? While saying that Romanian and Bulgarian criminals cannot get in? Compare it to the global drug trade. Does everybody say "I'm smuggling drugs, let me in"? No. They just find ways, regardless of the laws, which all say that smuggling drugs is illegal!

Quote:
I did vote remain but only because there was talk of a massive reform in relation to the corrupt bureaucracy that the EU has become, however it now seems unlikely that the EU will reform at all and I can see the advatages of trade deals woth other parts of the world which are growing at a faster rate economically, and now that we have committed to leave and come this far we should see through what we started.

You realise that even if you leave the EU, to be a part of the European community you have to abide with most of the EU's rules. You simply will become Norway, abiding to EU rules without having a say in anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You still don't get it? What prevents these people coming as tourists and simply just overstay? Nothing! You are hoping for a scenario which isn't realistic and cannot succeed.
What don't you understand - people can still come as tourists they just can not live or work here autmotically as is the case now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete
I do. What Brexit will do is only make-belief. The NHS isn't gonna sack the Polish doctor and replace him/her with an English janitor. Don't you realise that the EU immigrants are boosting your economy in paying taxes and boosting services? They give you much more than they take, and I would be happy to take them here, as the Finnish lorry driver isn't gonna be a doctor anyway. The world doesn't work in the way that there are an X amount of jobs, and if the foreigners are being kicked out, all Britons will fulfill those positions. What if the English daycare nanny gets sacked because all the Polish children left the country and there's not enough English children around? Or what about your corner store which caters mostly for immigrants? You have to understand this.
People with relevant qualifications will still be allowed to settle here, nobody is suggesting otherwidse.

Quote:
People can swim across the channel with or without Brexit and if you're giving them welfare checks it's not the EU's fault, but your government's.
Good Luck with swimming across the busiest and most dangerous shipping channel in the world, and btw we have a Navy, Coastguard and Border Force, and new rules mean they would not be able to work, claim benefit or live here legally. Employers all ready face massive fans for employing illegal workers/

Quote:
I guess that your government will be so over encumbered with requests that this or that foreign professional has to stay here and companies will fight for their Polish, French, Portuguese, Swedish etc workers, because otherwise it will hurt business.
People with recognised qualifications that are in demand will still be able to live and work here.

Quote:
Ok, so explain to me why you think it's bad that the UK gets foreign professionals to work and pay taxes? While saying that Romanian and Bulgarian criminals cannot get in? Compare it to the global drug trade. Does everybody say "I'm smuggling drugs, let me in"? No. They just find ways, regardless of the laws, which all say that smuggling drugs is illegal!
Again nobody is saying that those with in demand skills and qualifications will be denied access. They were allowed to live here before we joined the EU and will be allowed to travel here afterwards. The samne is true of most other conntries such as Australia which has a points based system.

It also should be noted that organisations such as CANZUK are promoting free trade and the possibility oif free movement between Anglosphere countries in respect of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.

CANZUK International – Promoting Closer Ties Between Canada

Quote:
You realise that even if you leave the EU, to be a part of the European community you have to abide with most of the EU's rules. You simply will become Norway, abiding to EU rules without having a say in anything?
We are leaving the EU, however there is no seperate so called European Community, the European Economic Community was what the EU used to be called, and EU Law will only apply to goods and services exported in to the EU as part of equivalency, just as it applies to every other country on earth that trades with the EU such as the US, beyond that we will not be goverened by any EU court. It has been agreed that we will accept EU rulings and the ECJ until 2021, when the UK Supreme Court and other institutions will take over the ECJ functions.

The UK may also join other trading organisation such as the Trans-Pacific trade deal after Brexit, and rules relating to such organisations would apply in relation to trade, and with more trade being encouraged outide of Europe, the EU would no longer be as significant to the UK.

Britain interested in joining Trans-Pacific trade deal after Brexit: FT - Reuters

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-17-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe