Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Oh, Christ, Slovenia has 2 million people in total, smaller than the cities of Rome and Madrid. Who cares if its per capita GDP is 40k or 80k. It is not going to challenge Spain or Italy in anything. Right now Slovenia has half the GDP per capita of Lombardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Who cares if its per capita GDP is 40k or 80k.
The Slovenians?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:52 AM

779 posts, read 595,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Oh, Christ, Slovenia has 2 million people in total, smaller than the cities of Rome and Madrid. Who cares if its per capita GDP is 40k or 80k. It is not going to challenge Spain or Italy in anything. Right now Slovenia has half the GDP per capita of Lombardy.
The size of the population doesn't determine the QOL of the place, I think it should be quite clear. I think the "we can challenge the US narrative" doesn't deliver good QOL to the average Chinese. It's not about challenging others, we are not in the ancient times anymore where the size of your army was the deciding factor, we're in the 21st century where flexibility of gov., the speed of decision making and information matter more than sheer numbers.

According to you, people in Liechtenstein and Luxembourg should be living miserable lives, since they are so small and insignificant, but guess what, they enjoy a far better QOL that you average Mr. Zhang.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Spain is still struggling, even tho Italy is improving. I can see Slovenia taking over Spain with the huge leaps they have made in the past several years
Though I'm not from the Altea department of propaganda, Spain has made a lot of reforms and impovements though they have been difficult decisions. Spain's economy is growing one of the fastest among the old EU states, unemployment is falling rapidly and exports are on a rise.

Spain is on a good track. But so is indeed Slovenia.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 5,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I bet posters like you, 'recently' joined Spanish trolls who get banned quite often, have no idea how Czechia, Slovenia etc. actually are doing in the QOL department. Southern Europe, at large, is a sinking ship, and it will stay that way for the unforeseeable future.
1st of all I know perfectly how Czechia or Slovenia are doing. Do you have some allergy to reality? I just replied to someone who replied ME about what I wrote. Do you want visual proofs?

https://www.ft.com/content/be9d3fdb-...a-09b69752efff Remark this: Having tackled its problems earlier than Italy or Greece, Spain is now seeing results

https://www.economist.com/news/europ...results-spains

http://www.euronews.com/2017/03/02/s...ansion-in-2016

Yes, neither Slovenia, Czech Republic, etc or any eastern European country would never surpass Spain or Italy. As well as they grow and earn more money, their prices also will be bigger. Not a surprise, or maybe 20 years ago you couldn't buy nuch more groceries than you can today with the same amount? Just like I said, maybe if Spain/Italy were still in recession without any growth, with the actual growth of Slovenia, etc maybe in 25-30 years they would surpass both. But they won't as Spain and Italy are growing as well, Spain with a 3.2% rate, which is doubling the actual growth of the whole Eurozone.

I don't see no sinking ship but exactly the contrary. You can't put all the southern European economies in 1 category. Spain and Italy (specially Spain) play in a major league than Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, etc. Spain already has the biggest GDP of their history. I've put 3 heavily trustwhorthy international newspapers and 2 of their graphs. Am I lying or something? Jesus wept. get your facts straight fam.

Last edited by zagaliko; 11-02-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:25 AM

Slovenia is on the proper way and their growth is amazing. I've always said that it's a very underrated country. I've been to Slovenia twice, and the country is marvelous. Ljubljana is more beautiful than Wien for me, and i'm not joking. Their wages are like 600-700€ lower than in Spain and Italy, but their prices are also much lower and very affordable. For me, Slovenia was cheaper than Hungary, or at least than Budapest was compared to Ljubljana. Yet, Slovenians earn almost double than Hungarians do. Probably that explains the big difference from that map, where Slovenia had 111 and Hungary just 70.

I didn't believe how beautiful and nice looking was all. Their roads are top notch and the country is full of greenery and forests. I've stayed in a hotel near some new houses and they didn't have nothing to envy the new houses of Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc. Slovenia really looks like a Western European country. If they had a Latin or Germanic language, no one would say they are Eastern Europe.

Czechia is as well growing fast and going in the good path. I've heard Prague is astonishing, yet I never went there. Besides, Czech Republic still has a lot of poverty in rural areas, as well as Poland does and most of the other Eastern countries. If not, just explain me why western Europe is filled with people from Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Baltic Countries, Hungary, Romania, etc. Yet finding someone from Slovenia is heavily difficult. I never met any Slovenian outside of Slovenia.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 AM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I bet posters like you, 'recently' joined Spanish trolls who get banned quite often, have no idea how Czechia, Slovenia etc. actually are doing in the QOL department. Southern Europe, at large, is a sinking ship, and it will stay that way for the unforeseeable future.
I understand your statement was made in a bickering context, but this is essentially untrue. Even Greece was not "Sinking" even during the worse period of the crisis. Also, let's not forgot that Ireland had to be bailed out as well, and that Iceland went straight out bankrupt, and France's unemployment is still pretty bad.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 AM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaliko View Post
1st of all I know perfectly how Czechia or Slovenia are doing. Do you have some allergy to reality? I just replied to someone who replied ME about what I wrote. Do you want visual proofs?

I don't see no sinking ship but exactly the contrary. You can't put all the southern European economies in 1 category. Spain and Italy (specially Spain) play in a major league than Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, etc. Spain already has the biggest GDP on their history. I've put 3 heavily trustwhorthy international newspapers and 2 of their graphs. Am I lying or something? Jesus wept. get your facts straight fam.
You also forgot to mention that Spain has a chronic unemployment problem.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You also forgot to mention that Spain has a chronic unemployment problem.
No I didn't, as we were talking about economic performance. Yes it has, although in just 3 years the unemployment rate felt 9%. That's just astonishing for such a big economy.

Spain always had a bigger unemployment rate than the other western European countries, even in the best times back in 2006-2007 the Spanish unemployment rate was circa 10% while even in Italy was 5%.

Southern Spain is the problem, the underground economy there is so heavy than the real GDP of Spain is about 20% bigger than the real one, as the underground economy moves more than 250.000 million $ per year. 2 years ago, when Spain had more than 5 million unemployeds, the underground economy was moving almost 4 million jobs (estimation) so imagine how big is that problem... southern Spain has some very profitable system with social welfare, there is a good bunch of people earning welfare while working in seasonal jobs without contract. Others one or the another, but the majority both.

This is a very extended way of life in southern Spain, as well as it is in southern Italy or in Greece. Heck, Greece's official numbers today are catastrophic yet Greek people still live better than the majority of Europe and than most of the world. Do you really think that Spain's actual unemployment rate is 16%? Italian one 11-12%? Greek one surpassing 21%? They would have heavy social riots every day!

Source: http://www.abc.es/economia/abci-econ...2_noticia.html for the underground economy I found this very useful graph:

Still both countries have a struggling youth unemployment rate (both 35-36%) and youths have much lower wages than people above 30 years old. Greece for example has a youth unemployment rate of 42%

Last edited by zagaliko; 11-02-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
As I said before in other threads, I think long term real economic division in Europe, giving similar economic systems and standardized laws, will be North-South instead of East-West. Eventually, northern eastern European countries will overtake southern European countries. Estonia will have the same standard of living as the rest of Scandinavia, Poland, Czech Rep, Hungary, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania will equal Germany/Austria/France in standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe