Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 06:16 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,796,518 times

Advertisements

Paris is often looked to as the urban ideal - an incredibly dense city with very little high rise development.

There are only a handful of large cities that are denser than paris.

These cities are :

Manila, Phillipines

Dhaka, Bangladesh

Chennai, India

and

Kolkata, India

There is a reason that none of these cities are the benchmark:

They are all too dense.

Does Paris suffer from any health and sanitation issues due to its density, or has its wealth and infrastructure allowed it to largely avoid these problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:41 PM

658 posts, read 821,952 times
Recently yes, 2,000 refugees and migrants in the streets of Paris, where they are sleeping rough for weeks in squalid and insanitary conditions.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,637,715 times
No, Paris is not too dense. The fact that it achieved such density without skyscrapers is amazing and should be imitated elsewhere. It is the ultra density that makes the city to vibrant and interesting in every pocket of every neighbourhood, that gives residents a real experience of convenient, walkable urban life. Of course its infrastructure is sophisticated enough to avoid major problems due to the high density.

Paris and Barcelona are cities that are done right. Most cities are not dense enough with too many dead areas. For example, Paris has the same land area as San Francisco with almost 3 times the population, and people think SF "dense" with the endless two story single family homes.

Also, don't be misled by the density level of the artificial city boundary, as Paris appears particularly dense statistically because its city proper is tiny (105 sq km). Inner Shanghai (within the elevated expressway just like the peripherique in Paris) for example is just as small but has 3.5 million residents, 50% more than Paris, although if you look at official statistics it is not that dense because the city boundary is 60 times larger than Paris with many suburbs even rural areas included.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 AM

1,892 posts, read 1,665,482 times
Paris is Paris... It has plenty of defaults and for you its density might be a no no. IMO no, but I'm used to it... The pb of Paris is the transportation system that doesn't follow this density properly (RER A,B,D in front, as well as their stations), the density well managed isn't a problem. When the new transportation systems will come, people won't be accumulated like sheeps in les Halles.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,233,002 times
I think it's pretty damn dense, but that's mostly because I don't really like people.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,948,701 times
i was considering taking the euro train this June from london to go to paris for the weekend before I head to Lithuania and Latvia, however I just don't really have any interest in anything there. ? Whats special about paris again?

Old 12-05-2017, 01:25 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,637,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
i was considering taking the euro train this June from london to go to paris for the weekend before I head to Lithuania and Latvia, however I just don't really have any interest in anything there. ? Whats special about paris again?
If you intend to put down Paris like this, why do you even go?

Nothing special about Paris, except it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, a large place with 12 million people yet plenty of interesting mom and pop stores, bakeries small restaurants and cafes wherever you go, impressive mid-19 century architecture everywhere on a whole 105 sq km, instead of cold steel and glass towers which only be appreciate from away, multiple world class museums, opera houses and gardens, where life is completely walkable, where every corner may give you surprises.

But in the end, there is nothing special about Paris. It is a dirty, "overrated" hellhole full of crimes where everyone speak obnoxious French. You should skip it and go directly to Lithuania, where everything is prettier and more interesting. We all know you are special and don't give a damn about Paris.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM

1,892 posts, read 1,665,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Nothing, you can go straight to Lithuania !
If you have 0 hype, Paris might be a bad experience for you. The city provokes love or deep hate. In your case I'm not sure you will like it. Else you wouldn't be even asking

Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,571,726 times
No

Old 12-06-2017, 12:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times
Too dense for what?

For farming? Yes, too dense.

Meanwhile there is not enough housing for 2 million people in Parc national de la Vanoise.

It is a crazy world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe