Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:49 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
those I know convert to beer or smoking more than they convert to christianity.
That's...
Practically the same thing in modernity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 03:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,467,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's...
Practically the same thing in modernity.
Not to mention a far better path.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:26 PM

2,232 posts, read 1,465,886 times
Well I know that in Turkey, many people are secular. Our guide there was an atheist but described himself as culturally Muslim.
In the last census in Australia, I think 27% of the population nominated no religion (this was an optional question ) I am sure some of that 27% would comprise former Muslims.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 AM

1,892 posts, read 1,673,613 times
Not that many, but those who stay, are strong strong muslims.
A huge quantity of them would never be considered as muslims in muslim countries like Indonesia...
They are european muslims =)

I know 1% of citydata will believe this but it doesnt matter

Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 AM

26,803 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Wouldn't most of those who stray these days become atheists as opposed to converting to Christianity?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wouldn't most of those who stray these days become atheists as opposed to converting to Christianity?
yeah i think what's the point in leaving islam to become a christian ? especially in Europe ?

I mean the only time they agree is when they decide to demonstrate against homosexuals' rights to get married. Not that it happens every week.

Last edited by forgotten username; 12-11-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 11:50 AM

197 posts, read 113,915 times
Those that stray from Islam do not generally embrace another religion which for all intents and purposes is equally bad - with the caveat, of course, that Islam causes more trouble in the world these days than Christianity or Judaism. (all 3 being equally bad in my opinion).

Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
Like most humans, the majority are moderate in their beliefs; most people want to get along and have a basic respect for other humans, regardless of their background. Hard line zealotry and the prejudices that implies are a minority position regardless of whether one's nation is secular or strictly theological.

Of course one's behavior is largely affected by the rules of society, so a moderate person with an upbringing in a strict and persecutory country, like Saudi Arabia or Utah, will seem more conservative and religious than a church going Catholic or Presbyterian from a lax and secular place like Munich or San Francisco.

The challenge Europe, the US, and other countries that are taking large numbers of immigrants from theologically strict countries is not the religion and its observance by the immigrants, per se, but the carry over of strict societal mores and values that their home country administered.

tl;dr A religiously moderate person from a strictly moralistic country will have a harder time adapting to a secular society. Likewise, a very religious person from a secular society would find the moral and behavioral rules of a strict theological society stifling.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:48 PM

9,327 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You do realize that not all Muslims are even religious right? It is a spectrum like in all other religious groups. . Lots of the behaviour ex fashion choices and social behaviours are also related to culture and not exactly religion. If you actually look any other religious group if you be broken down the same way.
This.

Another way to put the OP's question: how many people really enjoy paying taxes?

Religion or taxes, been that way since the year one on every corner of the planet.

In other words, conformity, not sincerity.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:33 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,966,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I used to know a Muslim (Iranian) who loves to eat pork. And he drinks regularly.

I guess there are many.
Iranians that are of muslim backgrounds are more likely to be less religious than Arabs of muslim background. Lots of them are not religious, or don't label themselves as having religion, or convert to Christianity.

In Iran it is only a minority that is very religious and holds a tight grip of power. Their tight grip of power has resulted in so many Iranians against the religious establishment.

Even those Muslims that convert to beer and smoking, I know several of them being very religiously observant during the the fast month of Ramadan .

Last edited by other99; 01-05-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe