Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times

Advertisements

Well the northernmost point on mainland Europe is in Norway at 71.133889N and the southernmost point is in Spain at 36.004167N, the distance between these two latitudes is 3904km, half of that would be 1952km. Going 1952km south of 71.133889N gives you the half way latitude of 53.569N, this coincides with taking the average of the two latitudes, 53.569028N, So distances don't shrink between latitudes as you get closer to the pole. However the area between the two latitudes do shrink. Now of course claiming that everything south of Hamburg is southern Europe and everything north is northern is a bit silly. So instead we should find the middle point between the most northern and southern large city, which I'll say is around 500,000 people. The most northern is Helsinki at 60.170833N and the southernmost is Malaga at 36.719444N. So the halfway latitude would be 48.4451385N which is just north of Munich, right around Augsburg. So clearly Milan is a southern European city, at least from a geographic point of view, but I would also argue from a cultural and climatic point to.

From a climate point lets list some of Europe's largest cities by the annual average high temperature.

Perm: 7.1C
Kazan: 8.7C
Nizhny Novgorod: 8.9C
Ufa: 9.0C
St. Petersburg: 9.1C
Moscow: 9.6C
Samara: 10.C
Minsk: 10.6C
Voronezh: 11.5C
Kharkov: 12.1C
Kiev: 12.5C
Warsaw: 12.6C
Volgograd: 12.7C
Prague: 13.0C
Hamburg: 13.2C
Dortmund: 13.2C
Birmingham: 13.5C
Dnipro: 13.7C
Munich: 13.9C
Berlin: 14.0C
Odessa: 14.1C
Rostov-on-Don: 14.6C
Cologne: 14.8C
London: 15.2C
Vienna: 15.3C
Budapest: 15.3C
Sofia: 15.9C
Paris: 16.0C
Bucharest: 17.1C
Belgrade: 17.4C
Istanbul: 17.5C
Milan: 17.7C
Madrid: 19.9C
Rome: 20.4C
Naples: 20.8C
Barcelona: 21.2C
Athens: 23.3C

As you can see Milan is definitely a warm southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 AM

37 posts, read 82,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
«*Germanic*» refers to the language. Northern Italians speak a romance langugae like the rest of the country... only south tyrol could be considered mixed latin/germanic
So by your reasoning black people speaking English anywhere are Germanic. It doesnt matter what language they speak. If you knew history you'd know Northern Italy was part of Germany for hundreds of years. I already mentioned the region being named after a people from Sweden. Northern Italians and Northern Italy (the northern third of the country at least) are historically, ethnically, culturally Germanic and this may just be a stereotype but physically they usually look the same as Germans too. Whether you agree or not doesnt matter as these are the stereotypes of what the majority of people would think about this subject regardless of what you personally think. By the way, nobody considers Italy as anything "latin". That would be Spain that gets associated with that

Last edited by cvbn4; 01-20-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 11:05 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Would Milan be considered northern Europe? Certainly not as it is located in southern Europe. I wouldn't even consider Germany "Northern Europe" let alone Italy although I agree that Milan feels certainly more northern compared to Naples eg.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
well it's cool to have an opinion, but I still can not really agree

And the overall "feel" is very subjective anyway. What does it even mean ?

I mean it's certainly southern compared to extreme north places like Tampere or Maubeuge () but no, I find Lyon and thereabouts more similar to the central places you mention than to actual southern european cities. I've only lived there for about 26 or 27 years though, so maybe I'm wrong

The "feel" is subjective of course. So I would dare to claim that walking along Hämeenkatu in Tampere will probably feel more closer to Vilnius than to Lyon, but when a person opens his/her mouth, the person from Tampere will have much more common ground with the person from Lyon than with the person from Vilnius, though Vilnius is geographically much more closer to Tampere.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM

779 posts, read 596,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The "feel" is subjective of course. So I would dare to claim that walking along Hämeenkatu in Tampere will probably feel more closer to Vilnius than to Lyon, but when a person opens his/her mouth, the person from Tampere will have much more common ground with the person from Lyon than with the person from Vilnius, though Vilnius is geographically much more closer to Tampere.
More common ground with a French from Lyon than a Lithuanian from Vilnius? I'm highly doubtful of that claim. What else, Finns would have more common ground with an Italian from Milano than an Estonian from Tartu for example? Doesn't check out.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbn4 View Post
So by your reasoning black people speaking English anywhere are Germanic.
You haven't lived until you have experienced the robust and exotic Teutonic culture of Jamaica, my friend.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The "feel" is subjective yes but why do you except you know well enough how a person of Lyon and how of Vilnius thinks? I think you once mentioned you have not been to Vilnius or to Lyon yourself, have not talked to locals from face to face and thus your opinion most probaly bases on information and attitudes which come from newspapers, internet or tv. Media is a good thing but a there is a strong tendency to stereotype everything by media, me thinks.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
More common ground with a French from Lyon than a Lithuanian from Vilnius? I'm highly doubtful of that claim. What else, Finns would have more common ground with an Italian from Milano than an Estonian from Tartu for example? Doesn't check out.
I'm quite confident with my claim.

Secondly, it's a long way mentally from Tartu to Lithuania. Just like it's only 3.5 hours by train from Helsinki to Saint Petersburg, but sometimes it feels you've entered a completely different world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
The "feel" is subjective yes but why do you except you know well enough how a person of Lyon and how of Vilnius thinks? I think you once mentioned you have not been to Vilnius or to Lyon yourself, have not talked to locals from face to face and thus your opinion most probaly bases on information and attitudes which come from newspapers, internet or tv. Media is a good thing but a there is a strong tendency to stereotype everything by media, me thinks.
No, I haven't been to Vilnius or Lyon, but I've worked with both Lithuanians and French. I've been to France several times, though. I would like to work and spend my free time 100 times of 100 with the French instead of the Lithuanians.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
No, I haven't been to Vilnius or Lyon, but I've worked with both Lithuanians and French. I've been to France several times, though. I would like to work and spend my free time 100 times of 100 with the French instead of the Lithuanians.
Only 100 times, why not 200 times then? I have had only a brief contacts with Lithuanians but I once had a college who was Latvian (if that helps). Once she started to talk about Finns for some reason and it turned out that her opinions were quite similar to yours although diametrically opposite. "Finns- what an unpleasant folk. Depressive-melancholic, boorish and primitive alcoholics. I always try to avoid those zombies", something in that style they were.
"In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" or how exactly that saying is?

Last edited by Anhityk; 01-25-2018 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 04:28 PM

55 posts, read 42,325 times
I don't know where to put Milan,it's a good question. It's not mediterranean, which means it's not really southern Europe.It's not northern Europe, as it lies south of the Alps.Central Europe maybe?But this doesn't feel right. And I don't think it's far enough west to be considered western Europe either.

It must be all down to individual perception and cultural ties and histories more than just geography though I think.So I'm going for western Europe. Southern Europe for me revolves around the Med and it's coastal hinterlands and Milan has more in common with Munich than Barcelona. Northern Europe is Scandinavia.So it's certainly not there lol .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe