U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM

2,956 posts, read 4,514,099 times

Advertisements

I've come across a few articles here and there about the Netherlands being one of the best countries for expats to retire to. Health insurance is required but very affordable. Outside of Amsterdam cost of living is reasonable. Great bicycle infrastructure makes getting around safe and easy, plus excellent train and air connections put most of Europe within easy reach. English is widely spoken.

Anyone in the forums here retired in the Netherlands or have considered it? What are some advantages/disadvantages? The weather is not important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM

6,547 posts, read 4,687,996 times
The worst thing about the Netherlands is really the weather, it's really really rough in winter, otherwise it's everything you're saying. It's safe, the infrastructure is brilliant, and people all speak decent to excellent English.

The food sucks too but you can cook. Groceries aren't overly expensive.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,531,453 times
Hi, nickname buddy!

Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 AM

614 posts, read 1,074,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hi, nickname buddy!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Someone messaged me that the Dutch people are reserved, and critical of Americans. Sounds like I would fit right in.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM

289 posts, read 768,096 times
I guess the most important thing is whether you can move there which you can if you are a citizen of a country in the European free trade area. I think its a cool idea for you to retire here, do you plan on living in a city or a small town? In the north people are generally much more reserved and orderly whereas in the south its a bit more friendly. Do you plan to buy or rent a place?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I guess the most important thing is whether you can move there which you can if you are a citizen of a country in the European free trade area. I think its a cool idea for you to retire here, do you plan on living in a city or a small town? In the north people are generally much more reserved and orderly whereas in the south its a bit more friendly. Do you plan to buy or rent a place?
I'm a US citizen. This is a pipe dream right now, but I may visit in the spring to check out some small cities. So far Nijmegen looks interesting (has some hills). And Utrecht has a central location (but may be too big). And 's-Hertogenbosch seems like a nice size. I would rent.

I would need to research income taxes. Health insurance looks very affordable, much cheaper than what I'm paying in the US, but I wouldn't want to give up my (pre-65) retirement health insurance through my employer that I've paid into. If I drop it I won't be able to get it back. So then I would have to pay insurance in both countries unless I were to settle in NL permanently, which is doubtful. Or, I could come back to the US when I'm 65, if there's anything left of Medicare. Difficult choices.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:21 AM

2,243 posts, read 2,317,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The worst thing about the Netherlands is really the weather, it's really really rough in winter, otherwise it's everything you're saying. It's safe, the infrastructure is brilliant, and people all speak decent to excellent English.

The food sucks too but you can cook. Groceries aren't overly expensive.
No way the weather is great, nice reliable wind, not too hot and not too cold, it's perfect. Sunshine is way overrated, I have had enough of that where I grew up.
And the food is okay and as you said you can cook whatever you like so it's a non issue.

I like the area around Utrecht, I am in Hilversum/Loosdrecht at least once or twice a year.
The Randstadt is too crowded for be but I could happily live pretty much anywhere in NL.

NL is one of my favorite countries and I am looking forward to being there at least once a month this year.

Last edited by GER308; 01-18-2018 at 03:34 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 AM

6,547 posts, read 4,687,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
No way the weather is great, nice reliable wind, not too hot and not too cold, it's perfect. Sunshine is way overrated, I have had enough of that where I grew up.
The lack of sunshine is fine, but the constant rain and wind in winter are insufferable. The winter in the Netherlands is remarkably depressing.

Quote:
And the food is okay.
It depends on your taste. To me Dutch food is really really really really really really bad. Even the Mcdonald's sell really bizarre Dutch specialties like kroket. I lost like 15 - 20 pounds in a year due to the bad and expensive food (and my disastrous cooking skills) lmao.

But yeah if you can cook it's not a problem at all. I can't cook even if my life depends on it.

Quote:
I like the area around Utrecht, I am in Hilversum/Loosdrecht at least once or twice a year.
The Randstadt is too crowded for be but I could happily live pretty much anywhere in NL.

NL is one of my favorite countries and I am looking forward to being there at least once a month this year.
Like I said the NL is great, I'm just not a fan of their winter and their traditional food.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM
DKM

2,060 posts, read 674,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Someone messaged me that the Dutch people are reserved, and critical of Americans. Sounds like I would fit right in.
Amsterdam is like a flat Seattle, but its more like Ohio in the countryside. But really, the people there are as different from each other as most places, except they all complain about their weather. Some hate Americans, most like them, a few adore them. Liberals rule the cities.... but conservatives in the countryside. There you might find familiar sights such as tractor pulling, drinking beer, pickup trucks and yes even going to church. The further you get away from the city, the more pro American your average Dutch might be. We have an air force base there with nuclear bombs and all that. And a cemetery or 2 with American soldiers who liberated them from Nazis. Most tourists stay in the big cities so their impression is that the country is all the same as you find in the big city. Quite a fun country to spend some time in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or