Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM

403 posts, read 221,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, that's the Finns. The Finns are Mongols, and the Russians, to a surprising extent, are Volga Finns. Does that make them "Mongols", too? IDK, you tell me.
I think Ariete is the Mongol - oops, Finn expert. Let's ask him - since Finns are everywhere on your map?
May be Italians are Finns too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 AM

8 posts, read 5,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
God no, we are Italians and that's all.
We are neither Germanic nor Western nor Mediterranean, we are simply Italians.
huh?

Old 02-05-2018, 04:20 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Italy is very diverse and it's not just diverse by regions..My mother was born in Italy and came from a big family..half her siblings could pass for Hispanic/Arab half have blond hair and blue eyes

Old 02-06-2018, 11:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
No.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I also do not understand, why it is important, most European countries are well mixed, over the centuries.
THIS exactly, and yet some people for some reason find this so very hard to fathom. We all have our stereotypical 'ideas' about what an Italian looks like and there is probably a tendency for the percentages of Italians with blond hair to change North to South but at the end of the day you can be ginger and southern European (like that Spanish golfer fella) and you can be 'darker' featured and Northern European like Michael Ballack or Sean Connery, ultimately Europeans are 'well mixed' and anybody (Saxonwold) that thinks they can tell a Europeans nationality simply by looking at them are very much mistaken.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 AM

779 posts, read 595,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
THIS exactly, and yet some people for some reason find this so very hard to fathom. We all have our stereotypical 'ideas' about what an Italian looks like and there is probably a tendency for the percentages of Italians with blond hair to change North to South but at the end of the day you can be ginger and southern European (like that Spanish golfer fella) and you can be 'darker' featured and Northern European like Michael Ballack or Sean Connery, ultimately Europeans are 'well mixed' and anybody (Saxonwold) that thinks they can tell a Europeans nationality simply by looking at them are very much mistaken.
Yes, some are well mixed, but the majority, I'd argue, are typical to their ethnicity and specific country. If you'd see a blue eyed and blond haired dude and you'd be as likely to place him in southern Italy as you would somewhere in Finland then that is a clear sign of cognitive dissonance, the globalist had a field day with you. Of course, there are always deviations and people who would check the box in many countries, like distinguishing between Czechs and Slovakians is not so easy, as they are quite similar but differentiating between Czechs and Spanish or Finns and Greek is not so difficult for the most part.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
I have a czech friend and a friend from Tuscany and they look almost exactly the same, almost like brothers. I agree with easthome on this one.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:13 AM

779 posts, read 595,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have a czech friend and a friend from Tuscany and they look almost exactly the same, almost like brothers. I agree with easthome on this one.
Which says exactly nothing about the core argument of my statement, congratz. You can also take a ginger from Siberia and from Scotland and not be any smarter. That's called a deviation.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Which says exactly nothing about the core argument of my statement, congratz. You can also take a ginger from Siberia and from Scotland and not be any smarter. That's called a deviation.
Thank you. I don't know in which way they "deviate". It's not like people are surprised when they open their mouths to find out they're from the country they actually are from.

Actually they both have medium brown hair and fair skin and are rather tall, so they look like pretty random european white people.

As I say, people in Italy tend to have very varied looks, so the typical stereotype people may have disappears as soon as people spend valuable time here.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Yes, some are well mixed, but the majority, I'd argue, are typical to their ethnicity and specific country. If you'd see a blue eyed and blond haired dude and you'd be as likely to place him in southern Italy as you would somewhere in Finland then that is a clear sign of cognitive dissonance, the globalist had a field day with you. Of course, there are always deviations and people who would check the box in many countries, like distinguishing between Czechs and Slovakians is not so easy, as they are quite similar but differentiating between Czechs and Spanish or Finns and Greek is not so difficult for the most part.
Specific to their ethnicity perhaps but you simply cannot tell the difference when it comes to countries, certainly not in the 21st Century, there a millions of blond Italians and millions of brunette Germans, the percentages may differ but being a blond Italian doesn't make you 'Germanic' being a Norwegian with brown eyes doesn't make you Greek, I challenge anybody to sort a room full of Germans, Italians and Britons (just one example) into their respective nationalities based on colouration, looks or nose shapes and I can Guarantee they will fail (despite what Saxonwold liked to think). Europeans have 'inter-bred' for thousands of years and now you can add peoples from further afield than Europe into the mix too (particularly Western European nations) and you have ended up with Britons, French or Portugese people (again just as European examples) being completely mixed. You should have seen the classes my girls were in when at school, it looked like a UN meeting and yet they are all local girls and boys. As for the original question I think the term 'Germanic' refers to a nationality rather than a 'race' anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe