U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM

37 posts, read 22,278 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am from a small town in Northern New York and am looking for change to improve my life. I was hoping some of you may have ideas of where good places to start over may be.

About me, I am 30 years old. I have a bachelor's degree in theater arts and have finished about half of a masters degree in global studies. My job history has been a bit all over the place and unremarkable. I worked in a gas station for about 4 years, substitute teaching for 3, I have had a few delivery jobs and some inventory work.

In addition to this I have a TEFL certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) which I received in Prague, and I spent 6 months doing missionary work in Quebec and French Polynesia.

I live in a small village in an area with not many opportunities. I want to live somewhere that's not too big, but some place where there is opportunity to both work as well as to explore and experience new things.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM

72,676 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyneedsachange View Post
Hi. I am from a small town in Northern New York and am looking for change to improve my life. I was hoping some of you may have ideas of where good places to start over may be.

About me, I am 30 years old. I have a bachelor's degree in theater arts and have finished about half of a masters degree in global studies. My job history has been a bit all over the place and unremarkable. I worked in a gas station for about 4 years, substitute teaching for 3, I have had a few delivery jobs and some inventory work.

In addition to this I have a TEFL certification (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) which I received in Prague, and I spent 6 months doing missionary work in Quebec and French Polynesia.

I live in a small village in an area with not many opportunities. I want to live somewhere that's not too big, but some place where there is opportunity to both work as well as to explore and experience new things.
What's wrong, Tommy--didn't CA or WA work out for you?

What foreign languages do you know? Any reason why you haven't looked into teaching English in Czech Republic or elsewhere in eastern or Western Europe? What about the US Peace Corps--they take TEFL-certified people, and have positions in E Europe. You'll probably only be qualified to teach gradeschool, or maybe highschool. You need an MA to teach at the college level.

That's really your only hope, if you even qualify for that. Usually, one needs a BA in TEFL, not just a quickie certificate. But look on the Peace Corps website, for more info. You have no other remotely marketable skills for Europe; not marketable enough for them to give you a work visa.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 PM

37 posts, read 22,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong, Tommy--didn't CA or WA work out for you?

What foreign languages do you know? Any reason why you haven't looked into teaching English in Czech Republic or elsewhere in eastern or Western Europe? What about the US Peace Corps--they take TEFL-certified people, and have positions in E Europe. You'll probably only be qualified to teach gradeschool, or maybe highschool. You need an MA to teach at the college level.

That's really your only hope, if you even qualify for that. Usually, one needs a BA in TEFL, not just a quickie certificate. But look on the Peace Corps website, for more info. You have no other remotely marketable skills for Europe; not marketable enough for them to give you a work visa.
Lol, nothing wrong, I just want to look into multiple places that may interest me and figure out the best ones for my consideration.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,840,071 times
Your degrees are pretty useless on the labor market unless you happen to be an extraordinary actor. Not sure acting is a part of "theater arts" though. Unless you speak a European language and have some marketable skills it will be very difficult to move to Europe, at least permanently. Britain may be the obvious choice but with Brexit coming up and them being rather anti-immigration right now, I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 AM

12,654 posts, read 12,078,941 times
Join the military.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 AM

125 posts, read 122,793 times
Don't be discouraged. Look into applying to teach at International Schools in any country that interests you. You do NOT need to speak the local language to work at an Intl. school. Most curriculums are in English. In fact, most teachers and faculty that I know are not locals and only speak English. Get your degrees up to speed so you would be qualified to teach theatre as well as ESL. There is a huge network of International Schools through out Europe and, because they are private schools, they don't necessarily require teaching degrees. Having a theatre arts degree would likely be enough to teach at Intl. schools. Arts are considered much more important here in Europe than in the U.S.

Additionally, sell yourself if there are sports you'd be willing to teach/help coach as after school sports. Obviously, you wouldn't be qualified to teach PE, but if you have any sports experience, playing or coaching, these schools are eager to have staff that is also willing to donate after-school time. Some of the best teachers here are: young and very enthusiastic, not tied to a particular country, just eager to experience another culture, not at the mercy of a spouse/spouse's job that might require you to leave. The fact that you are unmarried and childless (I'm assuming) is another plus in that you would be looking for a long-term situation and would be open to various locales. Even smaller towns/cities have international schools, you needn't be limited to big cities. There are large international communities in more places than you might think. Check them out - just getting your foot in the door will open you up to a WORLD of opportunities and experiences. Get out of your comfort zone and jump in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or