Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:41 AM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
A person uses more than 2000 different words daily, do you really think that these 2000 words are 90% germanic?

Ok, the core word are of Germanic origin, but for me Latin is omnipresent, for example how to translate this simple text without Latin?

Quote:
Joey used his mobile phone to read his short message service (SMS) while driving and had a car accident, his car was taken to a garage for repair. He had to be hospitalized, he underwent various clinical/medical examinations, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), the doctor has prescribed him many drugs. To pass the time he watches Television and some series. His insurance called him because the other motorist filed a complaint. In criminal court, the judge sentenced him to 10 years in jail.
The verdict was pronounced by video conferencing. Joey is now depressed and anxious.

Latin is everywhere, the Germanic influence took place very early in the history but then for centuries it was Latin vocabulary that conquered Europe, and especially English with Normans invasion. Even today Latin is indispensable. How many Germanic word in new technologies? :

Computer, data science, server, programmation, Artificial Intelligence, quantum computer, algorithm, cable, memory, processor, solar panels, batteries, autonomous vehicles, nuclear fusion, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, facial recognition, nano technologies, bio technologies, RADAR etc.

I admit that simple sentences can do without Latin, but it is disguising English and distorting it, especially as it continues to evolve. The Germanic influence took place more than 1300 years ago, since a lot of things have happened.
Your sample text was a weird example because it was rife with words, medical, legal, and technological, which are Latin (or Greek) based in nearly every European language, not only English. The same with the technological words in the bold font.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 04-05-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 03:42 AM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Aren't the Scots Celts? Same for the Welsh, aka Britons? I'm sure other people have intermingled over the years, sure. But Scotland recently voted on independence and that tells me there still a strong presence of Scots there.
In the 21st century Britain is a VERY mixed population, VERY mixed. Britain is an island that throughout its history has been subject to countless immigrants, initially from Europe (which includes but not exclusively Celts or Anglo Saxons) and more recently from across the globe. There is no Britain that is Celt or Anglo Saxon but some perhaps that have a percentage of DNA from those particular invasions. Both the Celtic and Anglo Saxon settlers were a VERY long time ago and there have been many many immigrants since. This idea that the Scots, English and Welsh are somehow different is just ideology of the kind the Nazis had with their 'master race' nonsense. My step-daughter has had one of those DNA test things (a Christmas present) and there were around 15 different DNA markers, my step daughter is black English, my sister has done the same thing and also had around 15 different DNA markers, many from the same areas of the world as my step-daughter just in different percentages, my sister is white English! Believe me an Englishman/woman or a Scotish man/woman are not simply Celtic or Anglo Saxon! Incidentally like many English people I know I have a foot in all three camps England, Scotland and Wales within the last 3 generations! (one Scots Granny, one Welsh great granny).

Old 04-06-2018, 01:56 PM

4,346 posts, read 2,765,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This idea that the Scots, English and Welsh are somehow different is just ideology of the kind the Nazis had with their 'master race' nonsense. (one Scots Granny, one Welsh great granny).
I bet there are many Scots and Irish who would disagree. I don't hear many Irish regretting having their own country. And Scotland almost got theirs and have another go if they get unhappy over Brexit or something.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
I bet there are many Scots and Irish who would disagree. I don't hear many Irish regretting having their own country. And Scotland almost got theirs and have another go if they get unhappy over Brexit or something.
What has that got to do with 'ethnicity'? Besides the Scots voted to stay in the Union. Incidentally I bet you don't realise that is was the Scots that created the 'Union' in the first place do you? It was the king of Scotland (James) that took on the English crown. Now I reckon we (in England) should vote on independence, it would be interesting to see how that one comes out! What has Brexit got to do with any of this? You need to stop watching Braveheart for historical reference, you have to realise that the population of Britain is mixed VERY mixed whether England, Scotland or Wales and anybody that actually believes that the nations are full of ethnically different people in 2018 don't really understand 'genetics'.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
What has that got to do with 'ethnicity'? Besides the Scots voted to stay in the Union. Incidentally I bet you don't realise that is was the Scots that created the 'Union' in the first place do you? It was the king of Scotland (James) that took on the English crown. Now I reckon we (in England) should vote on independence, it would be interesting to see how that one comes out! What has Brexit got to do with any of this? You need to stop watching Braveheart for historical reference, you have to realise that the population of Britain is mixed VERY mixed whether England, Scotland or Wales and anybody that actually believes that the nations are full of ethnically different people in 2018 don't really understand 'genetics'.
I could only watch Braveheart up to the draw and quartering part.

The OP asked if England and Germany are similar. Maybe he was referring to geography. Maybe to food. (Both cuisines are awful. But not similar). Governments. Both have parliamentary systems. England has a queen from the House of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha. Germany doesn't have royalty or nobility although it still has a lot of vons.

I think he was asking about the peoples of both lands: England and Germany. I believe they are similar. Much more the English and Italians, say, or the English and the Magyars. Or even the English and the Irish, although I'm sure there has been intermarriage.

Didn't England almost get ruled by Scotia? Except Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote a subterfuge about the English being descended from the people of Troy and their King (an Edward) was also? So the Pope gave the crown to him, not her. Had He decided the other way, the Union would have occurred then.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I could only watch Braveheart up to the draw and quartering part.

The OP asked if England and Germany are similar. Maybe he was referring to geography. Maybe to food. (Both cuisines are awful. But not similar). Governments. Both have parliamentary systems. England has a queen from the House of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha. Germany doesn't have royalty or nobility although it still has a lot of vons.

I think he was asking about the peoples of both lands: England and Germany. I believe they are similar. Much more the English and Italians, say, or the English and the Magyars. Or even the English and the Irish, although I'm sure there has been intermarriage.

Didn't England almost get ruled by Scotia? Except Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote a subterfuge about the English being descended from the people of Troy and their King (an Edward) was also? So the Pope gave the crown to him, not her. Had He decided the other way, the Union would have occurred then.
Your posts are nothing but bad stereotyping.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Your posts are nothing but bad stereotyping.
All I can say is that I can tell when I'm in England and I can tell when I'm in Italy. It's not the buildings or the food. It's the people.

There's an old joke. You've probably heard it.

A man asked his priest, "Father, what is heaven like?"

"Well, son, in heaven the cooks are French, the lovers are Italian, the police are English, the engineers are German and the administrators are Swiss."

"Gee, Father, that sounds wonderful! But, then, what is Hell like?"

"Son, in Hell things are not so nice. The cooks are English, the lovers are Swiss, the police are German, the engineers are Italian and the administrators are French."

The races of Europe have different characteristics (the Swiss are 3 peoples not 1). It's true of the races on every continent. No one would mistake a Cambodian for a Chinese or a Nigerian for a Tanzanian.

This is what the OP asked about, ethnicity and languages. If they're similar to an extent in Germany and England. If you think my answers are stereotypical it's because the question begs that kind of answer.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
All I can say is that I can tell when I'm in England and I can tell when I'm in Italy. It's not the buildings or the food. It's the people.

There's an old joke. You've probably heard it.

A man asked his priest, "Father, what is heaven like?"

"Well, son, in heaven the cooks are French, the lovers are Italian, the police are English, the engineers are German and the administrators are Swiss."

"Gee, Father, that sounds wonderful! But, then, what is Hell like?"

"Son, in Hell things are not so nice. The cooks are English, the lovers are Swiss, the police are German, the engineers are Italian and the administrators are French."

The races of Europe have different characteristics (the Swiss are 3 peoples not 1). It's true of the races on every continent. No one would mistake a Cambodian for a Chinese or a Nigerian for a Tanzanian.

This is what the OP asked about, ethnicity and languages. If they're similar to an extent in Germany and England. If you think my answers are stereotypical it's because the question begs that kind of answer.
Now I know you are just trolling........badly too.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,853,316 times
Quote:
(the Swiss are 3 peoples not 1)
Switzerland has only three people??

Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Switzerland has only three people??
Peoples: German about 60%, French about 25% and Italian the rest. They also have some people whose language is Rhaeto-Romanisch.

One time a real estate agent told me FL had only 3 poisonous snakes. I wondered how they knew. Did people follow them around? What if one was a girl snake and had baby snakes? Then what would they do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe