Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times

Advertisements

Visiting The Netherlands next month. Planning to hop over the border and visit Dusseldorf on a Sunday.

I used to live in NL a few years back, and occasionally rented a car and drove into Germany. Sometimes the rental car had an Umwelt sticker, sometimes not. If it didn't, I'd still drive into big cities, but would take care to only park in private lots/garages, not on the street where a parking warden could check for Umweltzone stickers. Never had any problems.

Is it likely that I could still get away with this, or has enforcement changed within the past few years? (ie do police actually pull over and ticket cars for driving without an Umweltzone sticker?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 03:21 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Is it likely that I could still get away with this, or has enforcement changed within the past few years? (ie do police actually pull over and ticket cars for driving without an Umweltzone sticker?)
Yes. still not allowed to be in an "Umweltzone", without the sticker.

Just watch for the signs.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Umweltzonen, green zones etc. should have been a pan-European project so that non-German cars would not be discriminated.

I think it should be safe risking it, especially on a Sunday. I have never seen police checking on cars entering an Umwelt zone. But I too would park the car in a car park.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
On my last car I replaced my windscreen after accidentally putting a windsurfer mast through it. I glued the new one in and never got around to replacing the sticker. Drove that way for two years without any issue. I don’t go into the city’s that often but I never worried about it when I did. I have heard of people having more issues with the “Umweltzonen” in France.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
Thanks!

Hopefully Hertz will give me a rental car with an Umweltzone sticker already on it - when I lived in NL previously, I had about a 50% success rate with this. Might help if I call the rental office a week ahead and mention that I'll be traveling to Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe