Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:32 PM

412 posts, read 301,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Well excuse me for asking an honest question on a forum. I'll be sure not to do it anymore to avoid people like you. Belgium is clearly a unique case, nothing like Canada.
Why avoiding? My answer was honest too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
Why avoiding? My answer was honest too
You can be honest without being a jerk. Just speak the truth. Clearly I'm ignorant on Belgian history or I wouldn't be asking this............

Old 04-08-2018, 03:15 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Thank you, even in our Soviet schools we were learning about the Belgium and Netherlands and their place in history as a separate entity throughout Middle Ages.
Even if today they don't mean much comparably to their bigger and more prominent neighbors such as France and Germany, it doesn't mean that they "showed up out of nowhere" and therefore "should join the bigger crowd"))))
Belgium, or at least Brussels, has developed into a special (con)federal district for the EU - not much different than the US and several other countries around the world - , whether they planned it that way or not, but its role since at least the post-Napoleon period has been to act as neutral territory and now it stands in sweet spot.

In other words, Belgium, or at least Brussels, has become an amalgam of Franco-German power.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:07 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
I don't really understand the question or what kind of answer you're expecting? Countries don't exist for any particular reason. Their existence doesn't have to make sense to you or me. If that were the case a map of the world would look very different from what we know today.
This may provide some insights on Belgium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belgium

Old 04-08-2018, 07:56 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I don't really understand the question or what kind of answer you're expecting? Countries don't exist for any particular reason. Their existence doesn't have to make sense to you or me. If that were the case a map of the world would look very different from what we know today.
This may provide some insights on Belgium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belgium
Perhaps I should rephrase. Why does Belgium. A country in between France and the Netherlands, have a region that speaks French and a region that speaks Dutch. I can't think of any other country like this. My point is Belgium just seems like such an anomaly to me.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Perhaps I should rephrase. Why does Belgium. A country in between France and the Netherlands, have a region that speaks French and a region that speaks Dutch. I can't think of any other country like this. My point is Belgium just seems like such an anomaly to me.
As I said, Switzerland. A country between Germany, Italy and France, has a region that speaks German and a region that speaks Italian and a region that speaks French. So no, it’s really not anomalous.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:44 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Believe me, without Belgium the world would be a worst place than it is right now.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,812 times
Quote:
Why doesn't Wallonia just become a province of France and Flanders become a province of the Netherlands?
Because they do not want to. There, end of this discussion.

If ypou want to know how it came into existence, read this.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The very short and crude answer is that Belgium was set up as a buffer between France and Germany.
That is not true. Belgium was once part of Holland, as was Luxembourg. After the defeat of Napoleon, Europe wanted strong neighbours around France to prevent another Napoleon. It was thought that it needed a strong northern neighbour and thus Holland was made bigger with the addition of Belgium and Luxembourg. But in later years, Belgium and also Luxembourg wanted to be independent and indepence was granted.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
That is not true. Belgium was once part of Holland, as was Luxembourg. After the defeat of Napoleon, Europe wanted strong neighbours around France to prevent another Napoleon. It was thought that it needed a strong northern neighbour and thus Holland was made bigger with the addition of Belgium and Luxembourg. But in later years, Belgium and also Luxembourg wanted to be independent and indepence was granted.
strong neighbor to prevent wars?how wonderful that worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe