U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM

93 posts, read 263,586 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have a very big interest in moving to Europe. Our options are Spain and Italy (we speak the two languages). I am an American, and my partner is Canadian. We are both professionals, and have a combined income that is pretty high for two people. Which country is easier to get a visa for? I know Italy's immigration policy is very strict, but what about Spain? Anyone has moved from the US to either Spain or Italy and gone through this process?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 42,654 times
Actually in Italy there is not a good economic situation. Wages are falling, prices are increasing. Combine that with a class of business people that are not brilliant entrepreneur, instead ignorant and uneducated bunch that only inherited some small shop....

...however food is good, if you choose not to live in a big city, life is also pleasant.

What profession do you have?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I tend to agree with you with the situation in Italy, however, if we are to move, we probably would not be working for others. If we decide to work, it would be for ourselves.
My profession is engineering (civil/structural), and my partner is a commodity/futures trader, so he can pretty much work from anywhere with an internet connection. He has enough money to retire if he chose to do so now. We are both in our mid 30's.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:58 PM

342 posts, read 1,673,143 times
I lived in both Spain and Italy for a short period of time. In Italy many things are very backward and bureaucratic. It is often very difficult to get basic life things done there. Spain is much more modern and efficient. Things work the way they should and it is relatively easy to get things done. For a vacation I would choose Italy over Spain any day. But as a place to live long term I would go with Spain. In fact a friend of mine in Spain is from an Italian family and most of her family moved to Spain because things work so much better there from a day to day living standpoint. With that being said I would think it would be much easier to get a visa / work in Spain.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 AM

6,067 posts, read 10,067,678 times
It would be relatively easy to obtain a permisso di soggiorno for Italy if you both apply as libero professionista, and I imagine that something analogous applies for Spain.

However, as some of the above posters have mentioned, Italy has been in serious decline, at least relatively, since the 1990s, the tax burden is horrendous, normal citizens must pursue a cat-and-mouse evasion game as a question of mere survival.

Spain has been on the sharp ascendant since around the same time (though the real estate/construction/consumption boom is now slowing sharply, like most everywhere else nowadays), and the tax burden is noticeably lighter than in Italy. Though I'm not sure about immigration rules, generally speaking, if you can demonstrate that you can support yourselves, I imagine that there is a clear set of hurdles you must jump, but I expect that it can be done, with the right kind of help (there is a specific figure in Spain who helps people with the bureaucracy and taxes, but I forget the name right now).

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:38 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,124,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I lived in both Spain and Italy for a short period of time. In Italy many things are very backward and bureaucratic. It is often very difficult to get basic life things done there. Spain is much more modern and efficient. Things work the way they should and it is relatively easy to get things done. For a vacation I would choose Italy over Spain any day. But as a place to live long term I would go with Spain. In fact a friend of mine in Spain is from an Italian family and most of her family moved to Spain because things work so much better there from a day to day living standpoint. With that being said I would think it would be much easier to get a visa / work in Spain.

I am Italian and I am currently living in Spain. I totally agree with Califantastic.

Good luck in your choice

Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the advice everybody! I have been leaning towards Spain, and this helps ease some doubts. Any further advice, please dont' hesitate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or