U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 AM

382 posts, read 192,884 times

Advertisements

The French nobility curiously still exists, there remain about 4,000 families of noble against 12,000 during the revolution.

But yes, the privileges have disappeared. The nobility is therefore more discreet but still has land and family castles for some of them.

The state officially mentions the titles of nobility in the "état civile" (birth, marriage and death certificates.) if they are authentic. There is even a mutual aid Association of the French Nobility ANF.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37655777

Last edited by Bordeaux33; 05-17-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM

22,870 posts, read 64,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But do or did they at least get to keep the money that has been in their families for generations if never squandered. What happens to the land?
Not all nobility were rich, but some of them have of course managed their fortunes through the years. Many nobilities who still live in their country estates work as farmers or have turned parts of the palaces to museums. The area where my sister lives outside of Stockholm, for example previously belonged to a noble family, but they sold off all land except the surrounding garden.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM

5,400 posts, read 5,648,966 times
Can someone tell me what happened to French Nobility. I know during Revolution Royal family was beheaded, but what about the lesser nobels?

The French Revolution basically what ushered in Napoleon. Now he is a military man. Wouldn't most of his officers be of Nobel birth. I am sure those people pretty much ran the country. He who has the guns gets to be the boss.

And what about Italy, and Spain?

Old 05-18-2018, 01:49 AM

382 posts, read 192,884 times
Quote:
I am sure those people pretty much ran the country.
I do not think so, it is especially the petty bourgeoisie of the 19th/20th century who took the place instead of the nobility.

In my area the most famous noble family remains the Rothschild family who have some vineyards with its castle Mouthon-Rothschild and Château Lafite-Rothschild and may be other than I do not know. So most of the nobles have converted to wine trading.

While the most powerful families of France like Bernard Arnault (4th fortune of the world), the family Dassault (owns a huge military research center in my area who builds the fighter jet Rafale), L'Oréal, etc are all from the bourgeoisie or the working class.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM

13,830 posts, read 12,618,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
I do not think so, it is especially the petty bourgeoisie of the 19th/20th century who took the place instead of the nobility.

In my area the most famous noble family remains the Rothschild family who have some vineyards with its castle Mouthon-Rothschild and Château Lafite-Rothschild and may be other than I do not know. So most of the nobles have converted to wine trading.

While the most powerful families of France like Bernard Arnault (4th fortune of the world), the family Dassault (owns a huge military research center in my area who builds the fighter jet Rafale), L'Oréal, etc are all from the bourgeoisie or the working class.
I don't think Americans quiete understand this whole transitional period in Europe ( from Feudalism to Capitalism) - it's not taught in secondary schools.

Last edited by erasure; 05-18-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 PM

22,870 posts, read 64,913,446 times
Quote:
Can someone tell me what happened to French Nobility. I know during Revolution Royal family was beheaded, but what about the lesser nobels?
Only the king and queen. Two of his brothers became kings of France after Napoleon. The daughter of Louis XVI survived the imprisonment, while his son, the heir to the throne is said to have died there.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM

14,957 posts, read 16,541,636 times
Quote:
Why just middle class only? Don't they have like a vault filled with gold and silver trinkets that they can use to invest?
Norway was never a very wealthy country by the standards of the rest of western Europe. Even the aristocracy there were essentially just fancy farmers on the best farmland in a soil poor country.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:40 PM

6,112 posts, read 10,155,737 times
In Italy, male members of the House of Savoy (since 1860 an administrative unit of France) were in 1946 expelled from the country and constitutionally banned from ever setting foot in it.

That provision of the Italian Constitution was stupidly repealed in November 2002. Vittorio Emanuele, son of the last king, visited in final months of that year, including his birth-place Naples in December.

Among other acts of grandeur in the ensuing years, in 2010 he and his son Filiberto Emanuele sued Italy for €260 million and full restitution of all properties and belongings that had been confiscated from the royal house after the abolition of the monarchy.

Italy, regretting its stupidity, threatened a counter-suit.

Edifying.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM

5,400 posts, read 5,648,966 times
Also traditionally, aristocratic, and nobel families are essentially a military caste. Did WW1, and WW2 kill off a lot of male descendants?

Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM

13,830 posts, read 12,618,250 times
Quote:
Also traditionally, aristocratic, and nobel families are essentially a military caste. Did WW1, and WW2 kill off a lot of male descendants?
I know that Gottfried von Bismarck-Schonhausen, grandson of Otto Bismarck was sent to the concentration camp Sachsenhausen.

Sachsenhausen — A Template Of Nazi Terror : SHELDON KIRSHNER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe