U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 AM

22,869 posts, read 64,909,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Indeed. Pretty neat to find old things... My grandmothers attic/warehouse is full of stuff she doesn't use anymore and was inherited and passed down and it's amazing...

The other day we were cleaning up a few things, and we found land deeds from 1400s and 1500s ... Also our genealogy tree still in Latin all the way until 7-8 generations ago (it stopped at my great great great great grandfather) ... it went all the way up until 900s-1000s
That is cool.
Our oldest noble families only goes back to the 1300s as the nobility only dates back to the 1280s.
The frälsefamilies before that weren´t nobles in a formal sense, and now they are all extinct anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Lou

189 posts, read 74,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Indeed. Pretty neat to find old things... My grandmothers attic/warehouse is full of stuff she doesn't use anymore and was inherited and passed down and it's amazing...

The other day we were cleaning up a few things, and we found land deeds from 1400s and 1500s ... Also our genealogy tree still in Latin all the way until 7-8 generations ago (it stopped at my great great great great grandfather) ... it went all the way up until 900s-1000s
Fascinating. Has anybody in your family cataloged the items of historical note? If the items are just sitting in storage, a museum might be interested in borrowing them for an exhibit. They might do some research and discover more details about your family.

Last edited by Lou; 06-08-2018 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Lou

Being interested in my Sicilian roots, I looked up Sicilian royalty and learned that the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies is still active and recognized. Other than their history and money, I don't understand why they're still regarded as royalty (not that I'm against it, but I just don't understand what keeps it going). Do they receive some manner of partial recognition from Italy for the purposes of being cultural ambassadors? Although less famous, they seem to be out there like the British royal family. They seem to still have status with the Roman Catholic Church, so maybe that plays into it.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:59 AM

54 posts, read 18,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Being interested in my Sicilian roots, I looked up Sicilian royalty and learned that the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies is still active and recognized. Other than their history and money, I don't understand why they're still regarded as royalty (not that I'm against it, but I just don't understand what keeps it going). Do they receive some manner of partial recognition from Italy for the purposes of being cultural ambassadors? Although less famous, they seem to be out there like the British royal family. They seem to still have status with the Roman Catholic Church, so maybe that plays into it.
It still has a role to play among royal families (weddings etc) in other countries. A Bourbon-TS is more likely to get into a wedding by a aristocratic House of Lords member in the UK for example.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowonder201812345 View Post
It still has a role to play among royal families (weddings etc) in other countries. A Bourbon-TS is more likely to get into a wedding by a aristocratic House of Lords member in the UK for example.
That's what I meant by their being "still out there," but I don't understand what keeps that status going for them. Why are they still recognized as currently relevant historical royalty, while other historical royal families have faded into "commoner" status?

Old 06-09-2018, 10:44 PM

2,757 posts, read 1,211,909 times
It could be legal, and then there's family size. While I don't know the full story, apparently I have a fairly direct line. I believe my great grandfather was the last to have an official title. Circumstance brought him and his 4 daughters, 3 older and one younger to the new world to assist his sister with her estate. She'd had family problems (husband was already married back in the old world) and had been left stranded with a refinery to manage of all things. My great grandfather went to help her setup the estate. Instead of returning, he died there. The older daughters had left for education in the US. The youngest took everything, sparking a feud. The feud ended officially when I was in elementary school. A park was rented and we all wore shirts to signify our branch. The youngest apparently had a caretaker that swindled everything and she hand been in worse shape than the older ones. The older siblings, grandmother included, defeated and destitute save an education, all decided to become American. There's no titles here, and with no society rules, I could imagine it was rather liberating.

Not that it mattered to me. My grandmother wasn't the oldest, and my mother wasn't her oldest, so either way I'm making my own way in this world. It is rather neat to be able to trace your family back into the 1200s though. Growing up I'd taken it for granted, but I'll need to at least understand it at some point. But other than a neat footnote, like those descended from a President or something, it's really of absolutely no bearing in this day and age.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 AM

22,869 posts, read 64,909,421 times
Quote:
That's what I meant by their being "still out there," but I don't understand what keeps that status going for them. Why are they still recognized as currently relevant historical royalty, while other historical royal families have faded into "commoner" status?
The royal blood doesn´t disappear, even if you are not relevant.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:54 PM

506 posts, read 414,262 times
Quote:
Fascinating. Has anybody in your family cataloged the items of historical note? If the items are just sitting in storage, a museum might be interested in borrowing them for an exhibit. They might do some research and discover more details about your family.
Yes plenty of items are in a museum. For example, my baptism baby gown is in the museum of Presidency because it was my great great great grandfathers... which he was the first president of the republic after the monarchy fell ... among other things that are in a "lending" status in museus such as paintings, personal items etc... with this, we are usually invited yearly to the presidential dinner at the holiday that celebrates the implementation of republic... which is neat.

As for why people give it relevancy even after the monarchy? No idea... I guess the "name" gives it status... it's not uncommon for example for bankrupt old noble families to partner/marry outside their social circle to people/families that are from more humble origins but have created a lot of wealth... the "new" wealthy family sees this as a way to gain more social status etc... w hile the bankrupt side might think its a good arrangement because of the $ ... not saying this is all the cases but it certainly happens.

I have always been of the opinion that origins don't matter - and certainly they don't - however with adulthood and my growth years, I have learnt to appreciate the fact of having so much history and sort of being proud of my origins.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 AM

506 posts, read 162,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
In Spain they retain their titles (Duque, Conde, Grande de España, etc) but those have no value other than status/sentimental. They are usually pretty rich people with lots of properties (castles, palaces, etc)

They get invited for meetings/parties by the King from time to time but since long time they do not have any other privilege.

Only those that are rich with landed properties because titles are very expensive to msintsin due to taxes.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 AM

122 posts, read 42,213 times
The building which is now Parliament, used to be the palace of the king:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe