U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,642,038 times

Advertisements

What happened to all the nobility/aristocratic families besides the Royal families? Spain, England, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Norway still have kings and queens. Do they still have lesser lords like Dukes, Earls, barons? If not did all their families die off?

What about in countries that abolished their monarchies like France, Eastern Euro, Germany. What happened to the Boyars, szlachta, etc, etc
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:53 AM

5,037 posts, read 5,516,954 times
Norway: Official nobility was abolished nearly 200 years ago. The family names live on today (Løvenskiold, Aubert, Kaas, Huitfeldt and Anker) but most family members are just ordinary middle class people.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 AM

22,863 posts, read 64,904,878 times
They are all alive and well.
The nobility in Sweden no longer has any privileges at all. No one has been knighted since 1902 and the king lost his right to knight new people in 1975.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What happened to all the nobility/aristocratic families besides the Royal families? Spain, England, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Norway still have kings and queens. Do they still have lesser lords like Dukes, Earls, barons? If not did all their families die off?

What about in countries that abolished their monarchies like France, Eastern Euro, Germany. What happened to the Boyars, szlachta, etc, etc
How could you forget Lady Diana Spencer? Her father was an earl.

They got dispossessed in some of those countries (France, Russia, I assume Germany), back in the 18th and 19th centuries, IIRC. Didn't you ever have to read depressing French or Russian novels in school, about Nobles who had lost their estates, and were desperately trying to claw their way back to their former glory, by hook or by crook, or by marriage? It wasn't pretty.Well, and then those countries experienced revolutions, so that was the end of that.

Actually, I guess there are still a few princes around, in Russia. A film was made about one, who tried to reclaim his estate, most of which had been bombed out in WWII. He'd hoped to house his family in what was left of it, back in the 90's after the USSR crashed and burned, and he hoped to turn it into a historical park. It didn't work out. The court refused to return the property title to him, even though the state had done nothing with the property; it had been abandoned for decades. Too bad. I thought it was a great idea.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Norway: Official nobility was abolished nearly 200 years ago. The family names live on today (Løvenskiold, Aubert, Kaas, Huitfeldt and Anker) but most family members are just ordinary middle class people.
Why just middle class only? Don't they have like a vault filled with gold and silver trinkets that they can use to invest?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
They are all alive and well.
The nobility in Sweden no longer has any privileges at all. No one has been knighted since 1902 and the king lost his right to knight new people in 1975.
But do or did they at least get to keep the money that has been in their families for generations if never squandered. What happens to the land?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How could you forget Lady Diana Spencer? Her father was an earl.

They got dispossessed in some of those countries (France, Russia, I assume Germany), back in the 18th and 19th centuries, IIRC. Didn't you ever have to read depressing French or Russian novels in school, about Nobles who had lost their estates, and were desperately trying to claw their way back to their former glory, by hook or by crook, or by marriage? It wasn't pretty.Well, and then those countries experienced revolutions, so that was the end of that.

Actually, I guess there are still a few princes around, in Russia. A film was made about one, who tried to reclaim his estate, most of which had been bombed out in WWII. He'd hoped to house his family in what was left of it, back in the 90's after the USSR crashed and burned, and he hoped to turn it into a historical park. It didn't work out. The court refused to return the property title to him, even though the state had done nothing with the property; it had been abandoned for decades. Too bad. I thought it was a great idea.
I never read any of those, I don't think. Is that what Count of Monte Cristo, or War and Peace are about?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 PM

13,817 posts, read 12,605,948 times
Quote:
I never read any of those, I don't think. Is that what Count of Monte Cristo, or War and Peace are about?
No.

"The War and Peace" - that's Napoleonic times, the 1800ies you know.
The Russian Revolution took place already in 1917, and most of Russian nobles ( upper class in general) migrated to France ( about 1 million people?) and others moved to Germany ( don't know how many though.)
Those who didn't immigrate, ended up being shot or dead in labor camps.

Ask the French what "Count of Monte Christo" is all about ( no wait, you can read it here, actually...-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo)

But still ask the French here what did the do to THEIR nobility)))

Last edited by erasure; 05-16-2018 at 10:51 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 PM

1,986 posts, read 713,191 times
Quote:
Neither of them quite deal with that subject matter. Well, they do deal with the nobility of their respective societies, but not about the collapse.

War and Peace is about Napoleon's invasion of Russia whereas Monte Cristo is essentially a revenge story about a man wrongly imprisoned by his rival.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
They are still there. In Germany, most castles are owned by minor royalty, and they're still wealthy families, with large land holdings.

Of course France doesn't have nobility for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe