Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Country with the worst food
Belgium 12 8.05%
England/Wales/Scotland/N. Ireland (UK) 86 57.72%
France 4 2.68%
Germany 20 13.42%
Greece 3 2.01%
Ireland 18 12.08%
Italy 1 0.67%
Portugal 2 1.34%
Spain 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:42 AM

526 posts, read 376,496 times

Advertisements

Do you really know foods of this countries? I don’t believe!!

Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
Do you really know foods of this countries? I don’t believe!!
This EXACTLY! I reckon most people don't actually 'know' other countries culinary habits (most have never visited most countries and even if they have they base what they say on their two week holiday) so instead people tend to just quote 'stereotypes' as fact.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:42 AM

505 posts, read 392,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
It really isn't.

Just another bs post by someone of limited/negative experience. So their grandmother made bland food? So that seals it then. And he's so cultured that he was the only one drinking bitter but everyone else was drinking Bud? I know nobody who would drink Bud unless it was the only thing available, it's ghastly, tasteless and far too gassy. Oh and, come on, there are many varieties of bread here. I thought you were one of the more reasonable posters Ruth.

I'm sorry, I've lived and travelled in the UK all my life and I think that qualifies me enough to state that the likes of Vlajos, gentlearts and GeoffD hold opinions which just do NOT make sense on the whole unless they've had stupidly bad luck. Thank god we have the likes of KathrynAragon and In_Newengland with their more balanced/realistic views to balance things out.
I lived in England many years ago and at that time, English food was found in pubs, food stands, fish and chips and there were a myriad of foreign restaurants, Indian, Chinese, Italian.

I know that English cuisine is good since medieval times, but formal English restaurants are hard to find and I heard they were expensive. Meat is excellent.

When you find an English restaurants in Spain, we have some, not many, they serve "homey" fares.

Of course, England initiated the industrial revolution, and they assimilated many cuisines so people needed to grab a bite and go.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post

I know that English cuisine is good since medieval times, but formal English restaurants are hard to find and I heard they were expensive. Meat is excellent.
There are some good restaurant guides in the UK.

Food & Drink : find restaurants and pubs, book a table online | AA

Restaurants – AA inspected for culinary excellence | AA

Hardens: Find The Best Restaurants in London and the UK

UK Restaurant Guide - Restaurants & Places to Eat

Best Restaurants Near Me - Discover them All with the Gourmet Guide

The Good Food Guide: Welcome

Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
depends on what you mean by British food, we have amalgamated a lot of foreign foods which are now classed as "British", like curry for instance.
Traditional British food never had all the heavily spiced sauces that most people are used to these days.
we used to rely on the flavour of the food not the sauces.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Well, I'm just going to say this...I am a "foodie" and I don't think I've experienced a country with the worst food (hence, I did not vote) . I will say that when eating anywhere in the world one has to read between the lines and be curious and willing to eat foods that are not familiar to them and ask questions about it. If one is ordering food which reads as familiar do not expect it to be what you're accustomed to in your home country (unless perhaps there is a similar culture). In all likelihood you will be disappointed.

Also, imho, there is no country that does lamb/goat like Greece, bar none (surprised to see two votes for Greece in the poll results). I am tempted to describe the procedure when doing FRESH (literally) lamb in Greece but no doubt, it wouldn't be appealing to anyone with delicate sensibilities.

While in Greece I did cook for my in-laws on occasion. Initially they balked at my fried green tomatoes, okra, and southern fried chicken but one taste and they were hooked. It's all about immersion.

I draw the line at live bugs, but that's just a personal preference on my part.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:02 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The Netherlands.
i agree! We just came back from Amsterdam, and the only choice I felt was actually tasty after looking around was McDonald's in the suburbs, and the place was packed! That is how desperate I was after trying to go local. I don't know what they eat to get so tall.

Who voted that Greek food was the worst? Are you kidding me? To each his own, but really.......I love Greek food. Second to the Dutch would be Belgium, although some of their waffles are delicious, and of course the chocolate is so good. The Belgian fries were not anything to write home about.

I love the English breakfasts,,,,,,no way I would vote that.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavicVibes View Post
I will hate to say this but Russia has the worst kitchen of all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavicVibes;
We basically eat soups, no creme soups but just water and vegetables, I actually don't eat this because it's disgusting. Only Pelmeni with vodka is fine.

And Kvas is awful. Just being as neutral as possible.

And I don't understand why Italy and France is in the poll. These two countries have the best dishes and all of the world's food come from them. I mean heritage wise. Pull aside the Chinese and all of the world is basically eating Pizzas, Pastas and other French stuff.
To the contrary, Russia has the best cuisine! The BEST! The soups are delicious. And who needs cream soups, when you have sour cream to add to the soup? Golubtsy are wonderful. Various pirogs are, as well. Beef Stroganoff! And have you ever had Russian-style pheasant? No, you haven't. If you had, you wouldn't say Russia has the worst cuisine. And yes, pelmeny are good. The homemade jam (vareniye) is wonderful. Anything made with tvorog is excellent! I could go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe