Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 PM

595 posts, read 719,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
They were going to today but pushed it back to tomorrow due to the large number of MP's who want to speak about it. The name change is an odd compromise to be sure. I mean, how can calling it North Macedonia mean whatever issues they had are gone? It appears to be symbolic...however the push is from all sides to settle this and bring Macedonia into the fold of Europe and NATO. This is partially due to Russia's actions in the past few years...They will interfere in Serbia and by extension Bosina to keep them from joining the EU but it looks like the rest of the countries in the region will make it in.
Serbia officially applied for EU 9 or 10 years ago and received full candidate status. Negotiations started on 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Serbia officially applied for EU 9 or 10 years ago and received full candidate status. Negotiations started on 2014.
Yes and recently they were given an accession date, 2025. However, they have to resolve the Kosovo issue first. You think Russia/Putin will allow Serbia to recognize Kosovo? Then you haven't been paying attention. Russia has essentially a veto over Serbia recognizing Kosovo, thus a veto over joining the EU or NATO. This is what Putin desires with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova too and he isn't afraid to seek a military solution to get what he wants.

Bosnia just got its NATO action plan approved but guess who Putin helped get elected on the Republika Srpska side: someone who will block further integration.

Albania just started EU negotiations and I bet dollars to donuts they will get into the EU first.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 PM

7,211 posts, read 3,087,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Serbia will never join to EU.
Most important condition to Serbia for joining to EU is to recognize Kosovo as independent state. Serbia will never recognize Kosovo, not even for all treasure of this world.
Expectation from Serbia to recognize Kosovo is same nonsense as expectation from Israel to renounce of Jerusalem.

Even if Serbia recognize Kosovo (this will never happen, but I say hypothetically), Russia, China, Israel, Spain and some other cointries will not recognize.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Yes and recently they were given an accession date, 2025. However, they have to resolve the Kosovo issue first. You think Russia/Putin will allow Serbia to recognize Kosovo? Then you haven't been paying attention. Russia has essentially a veto over Serbia recognizing Kosovo, thus a veto over joining the EU or NATO. This is what Putin desires with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova too and he isn't afraid to seek a military solution to get what he wants.

Bosnia just got its NATO action plan approved but guess who Putin helped get elected on the Republika Srpska side: someone who will block further integration.

Albania just started EU negotiations and I bet dollars to donuts they will get into the EU first.

If I ever learned anything in Serbian language, it's this - "Kosovo je Srbija."
I can hear them whispering/writing it like some kind of a secret password, some kind of a secret prayer.

It's clearly something sacred to them, but for you of course it's all about "Putin."
As usual.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,145 times
This is one of the stupidest things in the entire world and the Greeks are 100% in the wrong. A country can call itself whatever they want. I have absolutely no horse in this race (my ancestors are Norwegian) but it'll always be Macedonia to me, no matter what they want them to put in front of it ("FYR", "North", whatever).

And even though I think the EU is stupid, and I'm glad Norway has not joined, and hope they never will - if Macedonia WANTS to join they should be able to, no matter what Greece thinks about it.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If I ever learned anything in Serbian language, it's this - "Kosovo je Srbija."
I can hear them whispering/writing it like some kind of a secret password, some kind of a secret prayer.

It's clearly something sacred to them, but for you of course it's all about "Putin."
As usual.
That's true. It has nothing to do with Putin, since he wasn't even president at the time of the Kosovo crisis. Kosovo has been important to Serbs since medieval times. There was a great battle fought there in the 14th century against the Ottomans.

On the other hand, Albanians claim that they were the original inhabitants that were there long before the Serbs showed up. I guess that's a story for another time.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 PM

7,211 posts, read 3,087,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's true. It has nothing to do with Putin, since he wasn't even president at the time of the Kosovo crisis. Kosovo has been important to Serbs since medieval times. There was a great battle fought there in the 14th century against the Ottomans.

On the other hand, Albanians claim that they were the original inhabitants that were there long before the Serbs showed up. I guess that's a story for another time.
Albanians are settlers in Kosovo from late 17th, 18th and 19th century. Albanian colonizations of Kosovo happened on the incentive of Ottomans. Because a lot of Serbs migrated from Kosovo to Pannonia in 1690 and 1739 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...s_of_the_Serbs and Ottomans needed new loyal population of Muslims religion. Serbs migrated to Pannonia because they made uprisings against the Ottomans and they were scared of Ottoman revenge.
Regardless of huge Serbian migrations from Kosovo in 17th and 18th century Serbs were majority until late 19th century. In late 19th century Albanians became relative majority in Kosovo.
In period 1879-1912 over 150 00 Serbs was espelled from Kosovo by Albanians. Since Albanians arrived to Kosovo they were loyal Ottoman servants to 1912. From late 17th century to 1912 Christian Serbs were under represion of Muslim Albanians in Kosovo. Albanians committed a lot of crimes against the Serbs in Ottoman time.

On Ottoman census 1455 Serbs were 96% in Kosovo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...of_Kosovo#1455

Battle which you mentioned is Battle of Kosovo 1389 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kosovo

Old 01-24-2019, 11:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:

Russia/Putin? You really think even Serbia absent any influence is going to all so gracefully recognize Kosovo? It is not like all of a sudden the Serbs are in total agreement and closure with the Kosovo situation, and only big, ole mean Russia is influencing them.

FFS, it is not like the Serbs are just fine that their ancestral homeland is now New Albania.

How does this compare to say Turkey, NATO member and at one time on a path or nearly so, to being in the EU, despite occupying part of Cyprus? And recognizing the occupied part as a country even though no one else does?

Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 AM

419 posts, read 342,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
This is one of the stupidest things in the entire world and the Greeks are 100% in the wrong. A country can call itself whatever they want. I have absolutely no horse in this race (my ancestors are Norwegian) but it'll always be Macedonia to me, no matter what they want them to put in front of it ("FYR", "North", whatever).

And even though I think the EU is stupid, and I'm glad Norway has not joined, and hope they never will - if Macedonia WANTS to join they should be able to, no matter what Greece thinks about it.
At least you have no horse in this race

Since you have joined this conversation , mind that regardless from your personal opinion, Greece doesn't give up parts of its identity to other countries

Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Russia/Putin? You really think even Serbia absent any influence is going to all so gracefully recognize Kosovo? It is not like all of a sudden the Serbs are in total agreement and closure with the Kosovo situation, and only big, ole mean Russia is influencing them.
They likely won't unless there is a huge economic incentive to do so and even then it's highly unlikely.

Quote:
FFS, it is not like the Serbs are just fine that their ancestral homeland is now New Albania.
They definitely are not, though I personally don't care anymore. The country has it's own set of problems to deal with that Kosovo should be the last thing on it's mind. At this point, it's in the same boat as Greeks trying to reclaim Constantinople.

Had Serbs played their cards right throughout the 80's and 90's this could have been avoided. And no, that doesn't justify NATO' s 1999 air campaign, though I'm glad that it finally gave Milosevic the boot.

As you could probably tell, I make for a terrible Serb. Perhaps it's the Croat/ Italian mixture that kicks in. :

Quote:
How does this compare to say Turkey, NATO member and at one time on a path or nearly so, to being in the EU, despite occupying part of Cyprus? And recognizing the occupied part as a country even though no one else does?
Turkey was of strategic importance to the West during the Cold War as well as during the more recent Iraq War.

Greece is too weak to help Greek Cypriots retake the whole island, while the international community refuses to recognize Turkey's claim but sits idle.

It's also interesting to note that Cyprus is right next door to Israel, another country with it's own set of controversies. Jerusalem gets the spotlight for being a divided city, while Nicosia is largely ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe