U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 05:08 AM

89 posts, read 37,783 times

Advertisements

Say you have a job that it is taking you to Europe, so your options have narrowed down to
The Hague (NL) or Rome (IT).

Which one would you recommend as an expat?

the expat would move there with a spouse, no children, both professionals, making foreign salary.

Last edited by fabb; 06-15-2018 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 05:33 AM
mym

556 posts, read 750,740 times
The Hague is nice and quiet, near to a beach and has crap weather. you can ride your bike everywhere. nightlife is small but decent. the city is international but shuts down early.

i think Rome would be more exciting.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:02 AM

5,947 posts, read 3,074,460 times
Rome is big and loud, near to a beach and has nice weather. You can't ride your bike anywhere. nightlife should be allright. the city never shuts down.

i think The Hague has better work options.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,370,069 times
Quickly opt out for other Benelux communities. The Hague seems overly dreary or grim when using comparable examples of living atmosphere to remaining very vast choices final conclusion. Infinitely preferable at Amsterdam, Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent within the vicinity. Ironically, Rome Italy is continuing to win.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 831 times
I would recommend to visit Rome because this city has many interesting things to do and most importantly it is situated near beach and their nightlife is too good. So, you may go there for the best expat experience.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM

3,534 posts, read 6,212,097 times
I met someone recently who was an expat in the Hauge and loves it. He was married with two kids.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:53 AM

502 posts, read 412,566 times
Rome is very good for visiting a few days, but living there is a pain. High rental prices, a transportation system that does not work propertly. The city is dirty and it doesn't work in general. Italian working life sucks (long hours) and you don't earn much. Endless bureaucracy.

The Hague is small but nice. Weather could be a pain if you are used to other things. But quality of life is superior than in Rome.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM

35 posts, read 27,816 times
I am an American living in the Netherlands, and I have a colleague from Rome. His assessment is the same as the above poster; Rome is dirty compared to most places in the Netherlands, and he does not want to live there again. He said he appreciates the quality of life here a lot more after he goes back to visit family in Rome.

However, night life will be better in Rome, so if that is a higher priority, you may enjoy it more than The Hague. Weather is cooler and more grey here, but I love the cooler summer weather compared to the south.
It really depends on what matters most to you.

Also make sure to research the cost of living in each area. I took a pay cut to move here, but with the difference in living expenses, my net is actually higher.

Will you have a chance to spend a little time in either or both locations before making your decision?

Best of luck!

Old 07-09-2018, 02:42 PM

72,787 posts, read 64,258,962 times
Neither. I'd reshuffle the deck, and hope to draw two better options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or