Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree/ Oppose
Republic of Bulgaria - agree to become Eurozone member 9 32.14%
Republic of Bulgaria - oppose to become Eurozone member 8 28.57%
Republic of Croatia - agree to become Eurozone member 11 39.29%
Republic of Croatia - oppose to become Eurozone member 4 14.29%
Czech Republic - agree to become Eurozone member 15 53.57%
Czech Republic - oppose to become Eurozone member 2 7.14%
Kingdom of Denmark - agree to become Eurozone member 15 53.57%
Kingdom of Denmark - oppose to become Eurozone member 2 7.14%
Hungary - agree to become Eurozone member 11 39.29%
Hungary - oppose to become Eurozone member 4 14.29%
Republic of Poland - agree to become Eurozone member 11 39.29%
Republic of Poland - oppose to become Eurozone member 6 21.43%
Romania - agree to become Eurozone member 11 39.29%
Romania - oppose to become Eurozone member 6 21.43%
Kingdom of Sweden - agree to become Eurozone member 13 46.43%
Kingdom of Sweden - oppose to become Eurozone member 2 7.14%
Republic of Albania - agree to become European Union member 8 28.57%
Republic of Albania - oppose to become European Union member 13 46.43%
Bosnia and Herzegovina - agree to become European Union member 5 17.86%
Bosnia and Herzegovina - oppose to become European Union member 14 50.00%
Republic of Kosovo - agree to become European Union member 5 17.86%
Republic of Kosovo - oppose to become European Union member 13 46.43%
Republic of Macedonia - agree to become European Union member 9 32.14%
Republic of Macedonia - oppose to become European Union member 9 32.14%
Montenegro - agree to become European Union member 7 25.00%
Montenegro - oppose to become European Union member 8 28.57%
Republic of Serbia - agree to become European Union member 6 21.43%
Republic of Serbia - oppose to become European Union member 9 32.14%
Republic of Turkey - agree to become European Union member 2 7.14%
Republic of Turkey - oppose to become European Union member 20 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Well you simply can't since Canada doesn't seem "quite" located in Europe. Speaking of which this reminds me how the EU is an outdated idea, just like the Soviet Union. Those unions emerged under the idea that globalization doesn't exist...e.q: you can't order from the internet, can't travel fast enough and currency is fragmented between neighbooring countries. EU = Views of the 1980s.
Technically, neither is Cyprus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 12:40 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Technically, neither is Cyprus.
Or Ireland, but they're culturally european.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:44 AM

529 posts, read 556,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Or Ireland, but they're culturally european.
Buy a good map

Old 08-08-2018, 02:44 AM

395 posts, read 598,210 times
I know Canada is not part of Europe but it certainly is the most European thinking country outside of Europe. We are English and French by language and culture but very much also have Nordic sensibilities, values, and outlooks. Aus/NZ/USA are very much socially and culturally more aligned with the UK than Canada which has far greater European views.

Let's be serious, stating Turkey is part of Europe is a real stretch because Europe is not a continent but rather a collection of relatively same racial backgrounds with similar cultures and norms. Turkey is the anti-thesis of European by this definition while Canada very much so. I would love Canada to join and I bet most Western & Northern Europeans would far rather have economic ties and especially free movement of labour with Canada than Turkey.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
All EU members should join Eurozone common currency. That will make EU more valuable and strong in the long run.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Why is Romania missing from this poll ? About joining Eurozone !!

Old 08-08-2018, 04:02 PM

400 posts, read 422,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I know Canada is not part of Europe but it certainly is the most European thinking country outside of Europe. We are English and French by language and culture but very much also have Nordic sensibilities, values, and outlooks. Aus/NZ/USA are very much socially and culturally more aligned with the UK than Canada which has far greater European views.

Let's be serious, stating Turkey is part of Europe is a real stretch because Europe is not a continent but rather a collection of relatively same racial backgrounds with similar cultures and norms. Turkey is the anti-thesis of European by this definition while Canada very much so. I would love Canada to join and I bet most Western & Northern Europeans would far rather have economic ties and especially free movement of labour with Canada than Turkey.
Not really true, except for Quebec and the eastern part of Canada. Any place that would vote for extremely conservative parties such as the so-called 'Liberals' in B.C, which allowed foreign money to push out its native born citizens and much industry that employed them, and a college drop out in Ontario who just axed the Basic Income experiment and looks set to slash social assistance to the indigent can hardly be said to have 'european values'.

Canada is a fairly conservative place, actually. All Anglophone countries are, I think. The people are suspicious of bureaucracy/government, prefer low taxes over government services, and often express a negative opinion about Unions. No way, no how would a substantial subset of canadians willingly pay the tax levels that europeans face in order to enjoy a genuinely functioning social democracy. The Quebecois have no qualms about paying higher taxes (their provincial taxes are the highest in the country), a fact that is regularly remarked upon, and quite negativly light, in most of English Canada. Canada is USA-lite. I wish it weren't, but it is.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:56 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post

Canada is a fairly conservative place, actually. All Anglophone countries....
Well I've been saying this for a LOOONG time but people just put label 'conservative' only on eastern europe.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:27 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

Europe is not a continent with the same racial backgrounds. It is a very diverse continent and the cultural differences are big especially compared to Russia is very different culturally to the Netherlands, or Sweden to Greece or Albania to Serbia.

Canada has more in common with the USA than of Europe.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 AM

395 posts, read 598,210 times
I've heard Canada called a lot of things but conservative has never been one of them.

Anyway I still say that the VAST majority of {especially Western} Europeans would far rather have the free movement of labour with Canada than Turkey any day of the week. I think many Western Europeans {except the British} view Canada as the only true relative they have outside Europe. I think many would also find it refreshing to get a new member that wouldn't be drain on European taxpayers like all of the countries on the poll would be save Sweden and Denmark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe