Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the EU do with English as an official "Working Language post-Brexit?
Keep English alongside French and German. 36 69.23%
Drop English and use French and German instead. 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:32 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree

I was thinking similar. Look at when MH370 went missing, the pilots spoke English as do people working in the airports/ tower from what I understand so it's a major language.

I don't know many people in the US that speak Spanish even though we're forced to take a language in high school
There are 41 million spanish speakers in the USA and hundreds of millions in the Americas in total. I can get by in Spanish and I would like us to become minimally a bilingual country of English and Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 06:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
English is the worldwide language of commerce more so because of America than the UK. The only other potentially viable language for the EU would be Spanish as many in the US speak it and most of the rest of the American nations do as well.
Erm the US is just one of many countries worldwide that speak English because of the English! After all its called 'English' for a reason! Put it this way what language would I be using right not if the English spoke French? Wouldn't be English would it! So yes the world (including) the US speaks English because of the English!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Erm the US is just one of many countries worldwide that speak English because of the English! After all its called 'English' for a reason! Put it this way what language would I be using right not if the English spoke French? Wouldn't be English would it! So yes the world (including) the US speaks English because of the English!
Yes, historically you are correct but I was referring to the reason English became and is the language of international commerce and that's because of the US in the last 50+ years has dominated the world. The top 5 corporations in the world by market value are American technology companies and 8 of the top 10 highest valued companies in the world are American.

Put it this way, The USA was 1 vote away from making German their national language 200 years ago and if that had happened, German would be the world commerce language.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Yes, historically you are correct but I was referring to the reason English became and is the language of international commerce and that's because of the US in the last 50+ years has dominated the world. The top 5 corporations in the world by market value are American technology companies and 8 of the top 10 highest valued companies in the world are American.

Put it this way, The USA was 1 vote away from making German their national language 200 years ago and if that had happened, German would be the world commerce language.
The US (among 1/4 of the rest of the globe) spoke English because of the British Empire, THAT is why the US speaks the language of the English and THAT is why the world speaks English today, the US made the choice to speak English for a reason you know. English made its destiny when Britain happened to have an Empire at a time the world was shrinking, German would NOT be in the position English is in today if the US decided to adopt German as its language.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The US (among 1/4 of the rest of the globe) spoke English because of the British Empire, THAT is why the US speaks the language of the English and THAT is why the world speaks English today, the US made the choice to speak English for a reason you know. English made its destiny when Britain happened to have an Empire at a time the world was shrinking, German would NOT be in the position English is in today if the US decided to adopt German as its language.
I disagree, had the US adopted German as its official language, for starters, I'm not sure we would have helped the "Allies" in WWII so the entire world history would have changed. We in fact have more people of German descent than English in the US and there was some reticence to us picking sides....had Hitler been able to converse freely with our President in the same language, we might have even been on their team.

Anyway, I know you'll never agree and you won't be able to change my opinion and we will both never know unless we figure out how to reverse time and do a re-run which I'd rather not do because I like how it turned out.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
The GNP of India and Pakistan combined is 1/6th of the USA....which is more important to international business policy and banking not to mention tech and military do you think.

Yes the UK was a major trading country and is the reason English became so common but they handed the ball or we took the ball from them over 100 years ago and we've been carrying it and they are the benefactors or at least have been.
Exactly.

Without the USA, English speakers wouldn't have the luxury of not having to learn any foreign language.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:18 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,811 times
Quote:
I disagree, had the US adopted German as its official language, for starters, I'm not sure we would have helped the "Allies" in WWII so the entire world history would have changed. We in fact have more people of German descent than English in the US and there was some reticence to us picking sides....had Hitler been able to converse freely with our President in the same language, we might have even been on their team.

Anyway, I know you'll never agree and you won't be able to change my opinion and we will both never know unless we figure out how to reverse time and do a re-run which I'd rather not do because I like how it turned out.
German was never going to become the official nor de facto language of the US. There's a myth (which I've just noticed you quoted earlier!) which pops up every so often which claims the use of German lost by one vote, but this has been debunked as there was never such a vote in the first place.

And, as already pointed out, the US is certainly not responsible for the use of English in India, parts of Africa, Australasia etc. It's not even responsible for the use of English in the US!

As for being dropped, it's not going to happen. Whatever official deal (or not) is decided, the UK isn't going to suddenly cease to exist and will still be a trading with the EU in some form or other.

Last edited by pbobcat; 09-02-2018 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 11:19 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Exactly.

Without the USA, English speakers wouldn't have the luxury of not having to learn any foreign language.
Nonsense. See other informed posts on the matter.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:12 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm assuming this post was a joke, but even so.
If it is a joke it is a bad one, because I heard nobody laugh ...

Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If it is a joke it is a bad one, because I heard nobody laugh ...
Well I guess 5 people didn't think it was a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe