Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 01:48 PM

7,211 posts, read 3,087,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
-58 in Russia is not counting anything east of the Ural right ?
Yes, that is lowest record only for European part of Russia.

-58c was in village Ust-Shchuger in Komi Republic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ust-Shchuger
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Bellov View Post
Lowest temperastures ever recorded in European counties.

Lowest records in Germany, Italy and Austria were at high elevation on Alpine peaks.

It's fastinanting how Britain and Ireland are mild for latitude. Even Greece has lower minimum ever than Britain and Ireland.
Britain and ireland appear "mild" vecause they do not have high mountains... italy has dozens of peaks above 4000 meters... the highest mountain in the UK is something like only 1500 meters I guess. So obviouly it does not have as cold records than a mountain of 4800 meters...

Old 11-29-2018, 01:07 PM

529 posts, read 556,431 times
The best places for recording very low temperatures are mountain “bowls”, i.e. plateaus at an altitude surrounded by marginally higher mountains.
Such places can experience extreme thermal inversion because the cold air stagnates; furthermore on clear windless nights and with snow on the ground they can radiate a lot of heat to the sky.
That Italian -49.6 C was not recorded on the top of a four-thousander: it was recorded on a high-altitude plateau in the middle of Le Pale di San Martino at 2700 m (Dolomites).
But very low temperatures, much colder than those record lows in the British Isles, can happen at much lower altitudes.
For example last February Campo Felice (some 80 km east of Rome, at 1500 m asl) recorded -33C.
Or Il Pian del Cansiglio, a plateau at 1000 m asl 70 km north of Venice, routinely dips at -35C (more or less every other winter).

So, since one doesn’t need exceedingly high mountains to record very cold temperatures, those all-time lows for the British Isles do indeed look quite lame.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Britain and ireland appear "mild" vecause they do not have high mountains... italy has dozens of peaks above 4000 meters... the highest mountain in the UK is something like only 1500 meters I guess. So obviouly it does not have as cold records than a mountain of 4800 meters...
Lowest records in the Balkan countries were not on so high elevation.

Bosnia 1200 m https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igman
Serbia 1160 m https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karajukića_Bunari
Bulgaria 700 m https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tran,_Bulgaria

Old 11-30-2018, 03:17 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:

How can they 'appear' mild!! They are either 'mild' or they're not, everybody knows that the reason the islands are mild is because of the Gulf Stream, it would be a very different island without it. At like for like elevations the British Isles are still mild compared to European countries further East,

Old 11-30-2018, 03:53 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:

True, but my location is still as cold or even colder than many locales on the british isles from November to March (the rest of the year we're tropical compared to them). I'm basically at sea level. So they're pretty mild.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
True, but my location is still as cold or even colder than many locales on the british isles from November to March (the rest of the year we're tropical compared to them). I'm basically at sea level. So they're pretty mild.
This is not directed at you and it might just be a Canadian thing, but I find that mild is often (too) associated with warmth. I guess it's because it's more often than not mentioned in relation to winter weather. But a place that generally gets 28-32C temperatures in the summer can't be described as mild in my books.

Places like the British Isles and the west coast of Norway would be what I would call mild. Not somewhere like Bordeaux.

Am I understanding it wrong?

Old 12-01-2018, 05:10 AM

January 8 2017 - an example when in central Europe and Balkans are freezing temperatures (due to cold wave from Siberia and eastern Europe), and in the same time in western Europe are mild temperatures.

Minimums in January 8 2017

Maximums in January 8 2017

Old 12-01-2018, 08:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is not directed at you and it might just be a Canadian thing, but I find that mild is often (too) associated with warmth. I guess it's because it's more often than not mentioned in relation to winter weather. But a place that generally gets 28-32C temperatures in the summer can't be described as mild in my books.

Places like the British Isles and the west coast of Norway would be what I would call mild. Not somewhere like Bordeaux.

Am I understanding it wrong?
I think 'mild' means not too cold not too hot, of course it certainly can be both cold and hot in the British Isles but in the main the temperature range is from around 0 deg C to 30 deg C, therefore 'mild', I think the 'average' in Bordeaux is probably higher in the Summer months but again in the main the temperature there is between those numbers, therefore what I would call both 'mild'.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
The British Isles are 'mild' in winter because they are islands in the middle of water. Maritime places almost universally feature climates with a fairly cool spring and summer and mild autumn and winter. The Gulf stream adds to this phenomenon, but it's the same factor that gives Juneau, AK a much milder winter and yet cooler summer than Fairbanks, AK (same as Halifax, NS vs Ottawa, ON). The physical properties of water are the defining element here

Think about it like this...if you're at the beach in the heat of August, the water is almost certainly colder than the air at the beach - and even more so than the air 10 miles inland from the beach (try the contrast between Santa Monica vs Anaheim on a summer day) - so it's 'refreshing'. But if you're in a polar winter and it's 20 below..any unfrozen body of water is going to be significantly warmer than the air around you. Large bodies of water are chilling factors in summer and warming factors in winter.

Then think about prevailing weather patterns (which are of course heavily influenced by those factors). Europe's summers don't usually feature stable sunny, warm conditions because the continent is subject to cyclones shuffled into Europe from the North Atlantic by the prevailing westerlies. Who is most exposed to these cyclones? The most Western coastal parts of Europe north of the subtropical high pressure zone i.e. prominently the UK and Ireland. In winter these cyclones push wet air into Europe that is much warmer than the dry cold air taking hold over the interior North of the Eurasian continent. Therefore, the further East and away from the Atlantic you go into Europe the drier and warmer the summers and the colder and drier the winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe