Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This point is arguable, the one thing that strikes me about the US is the great racial divide - people are catagorised strongly by 'race' in the US - African American, Latino (which isn't even a 'race' in the rest of the world!) etc. Without suggesting that either 'over there' or 'over here' is less or most racist I would suggest that arguments could be made either way.
"Latino" wasn't considered a race either in America at one point in time, but it became one largely because of changing demographics. More to the point, though, we categorize ourselves a lot. And it's not just race, but ethnicity. I'm very proud to be Italian-American, but I find Europeans misunderstand us. They think we actually consider ourselves Italian in lieu of being American, but that's totally false. In fact, it is really a matter of ethnic, ancestral and--to some extent--cultural pride. To embrace this label is not to repudiate being American.

I think I perceive some of that European attitude in your post - i.e., the insinuation is, more or less, why can't you all just be American? The answer is, we already are. No one can really suggest that Hispanics or blacks or Asians, etc., are precluded from being American. Being American is what unites us all, but we're a very heterogeneous nation. The most realistic approach is to recognize those differences and not pretend that they don't exist, while still emphasizing our collective Americanness. E pluribus unum ("out of many, one") is our motto, after all.

Some European countries refuse to even collect racial or ethnic demographic statistics. France is a good example. Yet this policy of artificial colorblindness does not seem to minimize differences at all, or bring people together. I think there is a very real sense that most European nations are essentially ethnostates. It is far more difficult to integrate new immigrants into such an identity. As a side note, though, this issue seems somewhat less pronounced there in the UK, because being "British" is already a multiethnic identity, as opposed to being English, Scottish, Welsh, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 10:13 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
California has long been an immigration mecca, and Hispanic immigration is nothing new here. As you say, diversity helps newcomers blend in. And by diversity I mean "diversity", not non-White people as it is often used nowadays. Hispanics are to SoCal what Whites are to, say, Oregon. They dominate the area by a wide margin. In fact, large chunks of Los Angeles are virtually 100% Hispanic, eg East LA. It's not uncommon for customers to walk up to clerks and speak to them in SPanish. They recreate Mexico/Central America in the US. I know that around New York Latinos are numerous but nowhere near what they are in SoCal. They go more unnoticed and it's also easier for them to assimilate or at least integrate.

It's all a question of numbers, sometimes people in Europe wonder why do Americans complain about Latino immigrants because they are Christians, and those few Latinos living in Europe integrate well. On the other hand Americans believe that the US does a better job than the EU at integrating its immigrants since the small Muslims community existing is prosperous here.

I'm in the LA area. Note that I am not from here so I may have perspective than other local posters. To me, LA is a fairly racially segregated city. People love trying exotic love, but don't care for an exotic SO. Add to this that compared to the NorthWest Whites are a small minority here. Mixed couples exist, now saying that they're common I certainly wouldn't say that.
I feel like our views on Latinos will integrate will depend on what part of the country we live in.

I feel that in Chicago and NYC Latinos have absorbed given their time in this country.

You have to remember that neither Chicago nor the Northeast were under Spanish rule. California was as well once belonged to Mexico.

Therefore you will never see anything like the “Aztlan Movement” over here.

Meanwhile in Cali you have Chicano professors who constantly talk about chicanos don’t have to assimilate and how this land is really our land.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:07 AM

502 posts, read 391,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I feel like our views on Latinos will integrate will depend on what part of the country we live in.

I feel that in Chicago and NYC Latinos have absorbed given their time in this country.

You have to remember that neither Chicago nor the Northeast were under Spanish rule. California was as well once belonged to Mexico.

Therefore you will never see anything like the “Aztlan Movement” over here.

Meanwhile in Cali you have Chicano professors who constantly talk about chicanos don’t have to assimilate and how this land is really our land.
I guess you have a point, it really is kind of a catch-22 though. A lot of people don't want to leave their native culture behind but feel that the only way to be fully accepted by society is to do so.

I feel like for Hispanics whose families have been in the US for generations, they don't have much connection to their native culture, many times they are fairly light-skinned, and their family has made it to middle-class and above their life is completely different than Latinos that arrive as immigrants.

I'm an immigrant and many times I feel that even Hispanics like the ones I described above have some resentment for people like me not being "Americanized" enough. But the way I look at it is I can suffer those disenfranchisements from society so that my kids and their kids won't have to. I do have high hopes that my the generations after me, won't have to go through stigmas and discrimination like that.

So I can say that at least for me in the US I do think that Latinos have hope that things will get better. I don't know whether the situation in Europe makes muslims feel more hopeless about things like that.

I can say that if I had grown up in Europe instead of the US, that my life would be a lot better and I would probably not even know what discrimination was.

Last edited by River City Rocky; 12-08-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nah%C4%81vand

just remember what happened to persia.

its been going downhill ever since

Old 12-12-2018, 10:23 AM

622 posts, read 427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
"Latino" wasn't considered a race either in America at one point in time, but it became one largely because of changing demographics. More to the point, though, we categorize ourselves a lot. And it's not just race, but ethnicity. I'm very proud to be Italian-American, but I find Europeans misunderstand us. They think we actually consider ourselves Italian in lieu of being American, but that's totally false. In fact, it is really a matter of ethnic, ancestral and--to some extent--cultural pride. To embrace this label is not to repudiate being American.

I think I perceive some of that European attitude in your post - i.e., the insinuation is, more or less, why can't you all just be American? The answer is, we already are. No one can really suggest that Hispanics or blacks or Asians, etc., are precluded from being American. Being American is what unites us all, but we're a very heterogeneous nation. The most realistic approach is to recognize those differences and not pretend that they don't exist, while still emphasizing our collective Americanness. E pluribus unum ("out of many, one") is our motto, after all.

Some European countries refuse to even collect racial or ethnic demographic statistics. France is a good example. Yet this policy of artificial colorblindness does not seem to minimize differences at all, or bring people together. I think there is a very real sense that most European nations are essentially ethnostates. It is far more difficult to integrate new immigrants into such an identity. As a side note, though, this issue seems somewhat less pronounced there in the UK, because being "British" is already a multiethnic identity, as opposed to being English, Scottish, Welsh, etc.

Europe has no issues with Latinized immigrants, call them Hispanics, Vietnamese or people from the Philippines. Americans, which are also Latins, sorry, present no issues.. As Latinized I refer to people that have middle class Christian or moderate Islam values and don't have any issues with women and pigs.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,432 times
Latinos are Christians so they assimilate to the West obviously. Muslims in Europe share different religion and culture and most are anti-West and want sharia law..

Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Latinos are Christians so they assimilate to the West obviously. Muslims in Europe share different religion and culture and most are anti-West and want sharia law..
The near totality of Muslims in Europe do not want to live under the rule of the Sharia. Many Muslims are cultural, their practice of the religion is usually limited to not eating Pork meat and fasting during the Ramadan. Other than that they see no problem with drinking, engaging in "fornication", gambling, smoking etc.
On the other hand Hispanics might be traditionally linked to Christianity but it doesn't stop more than a few of them from getting involved with street gangs, teenage pregnancy, and woman having children from multiple fathers out of the wedlock, which we'll agree aren't exactly christian values.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
[quote=iron_stick;53884798]The near totality of Muslims in Europe do not want to live under the rule of the Sharia. Many Muslims are cultural, their practice of the religion is usually limited to not eating Pork meat and fasting during the Ramadan. Other than that they see no problem with drinking, engaging in "fornication", gambling, smoking etc.
On the other hand Hispanics might be traditionally linked to Christianity but it doesn't stop more than a few of them from getting involved with street gangs, teenage pregnancy, and woman having children from multiple fathers out of the wedlock, which we'll agree aren't exactly christian values.[/quote]

It is my experience however that they are viewed as trashy by the one's who are well adjusted. I have noticed though that there is a higher tolerance for these sort of things among Mexican-Americans and Central-Americans in parts of California. Although they may be viewed as trashy they are still tolerated whereas some other groups just don't tolerate this nonsense they just totally sideline people who engage in these activities.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:00 PM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
It is my experience however that they are viewed as trashy by the one's who are well adjusted. I have noticed though that there is a higher tolerance for these sort of things among Mexican-Americans and Central-Americans in parts of California. Although they may be viewed as trashy they are still tolerated whereas some other groups just don't tolerate this nonsense they just totally sideline people who engage in these activities.
Yes, agreed. The frequency of the aforementioned behaviors is in great part explained by the community's benevolence towards it. The situation won't change anytime soon since many don't see wrongdoing there.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 PM

622 posts, read 427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post

Not really. Most Muslims just want to get on their lives, really, Most are hard workers and don't want any trouble,

Hispanics are different as they share the same culture and Latinate languages, and religion,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe