Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:09 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh and Goodhombre Europeans tend NOT to be 'secretly envious' of Americans (why would they be?) but neither (despite what 'some' Americans on here think) do Europeans feel superior too or 'dislike' Americans, in fact I've found Europeans tend to 'look down their noses' at the British more than they do Americans, for the record every American I've known and worked with I've found to be incredibly polite and pleasant people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
They probably don't know Europeans are secretly envious of Americans.
Envious of Americans? ...lol. Where you get your info from?
Read the post above.

Is this thread just another of your uninformed creations?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...overrated.html

BTW:
As many as 65% of European citizens between the ages of 25 and 64 speak at least one foreign language. The highest language proficiency in Sweden (97% of citizens speak at least one foreign language), Latvia, Denmark and Lithuania (96%), Luxembourg (95%), Finland and Malta (92% ) and Estonia (91%).
Overall, a median of 92% of European students are learning a language in school.
Almost 3/5 of pupils in the EU learnt two or more foreign languages in upper secondary education in 2016.
Can you say the same about Americans?
https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/26/...ronews-answers
https://infogram.com/1prlpr90n99kynu...vzz0efm36mrvrx

Most European students are learning a foreign language in school while Americans lag.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...americans-lag/

Last edited by elnina; 01-17-2019 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Link added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 04:52 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
Elina is right. I'd also add that studying a foreign language is not the same as being willing and able to even speak it, everywhere, and most of all in the US.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,286,521 times
I would say that things are becoming a lot more multilingual though. Think about the erasmus program and what has changed with it. A generation ago most people had basic english conversational knowledge, and outside of people who would be passionate about a different language / country of actual migrants, it was a lot more of a theory.

Now millions of young europeans have travelled to study in most countries, and have learnt or used a foreign language to do so. Here in Bologna there are students from France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Turkey, Sweden, the UK, and other countries studying. Same thing in most european cities with large universities. This program has been around since the 90s I guess, so I would say that generation younger than 40 is now more multilingual than any other ever before on this continent.

Sure not everyone speaks 5 languages, but I use two on a daily basis and none of them is english. I also have many friends from other european countries with whom I speak Italian or sometimes in English. Most of my friends speak at least one other language and often two.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
No matter what people say how immigrants over-flooding some European countries, Turks in Germany, Maghrebi in France and Indians in the UK comes nowhere nowhere near the numbers of Hispanics in the US, especially in the Southwest. Also, you don't have the "press 2 for Turk, Arabic, Urdu" thing in Europe simply because Spanish has a much deeper importance in the US.

Well sure, the numbers are lower because in America there is one continent which speaks english and the other who speaks spanish, so things are artificially helped. Do WASP people actually learn spanish to converse with said migrants or comunities ? That would be surprising. It does not mean that the phenomenon does not exist in Europe on a different scale. I hear many different languages everyday in the street (I'll add Russian or Romanian to the list) and I don't even live in a very large city. 95% of these people still speak Italian, and I bet many can speak English as well.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Envious of Americans? ...lol. Where you get your info from?
Read the post above.

Is this thread just another of your uninformed creations?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...overrated.html

BTW:
As many as 65% of European citizens between the ages of 25 and 64 speak at least one foreign language. The highest language proficiency in Sweden (97% of citizens speak at least one foreign language), Latvia, Denmark and Lithuania (96%), Luxembourg (95%), Finland and Malta (92% ) and Estonia (91%).
Overall, a median of 92% of European students are learning a language in school.
Almost 3/5 of pupils in the EU learnt two or more foreign languages in upper secondary education in 2016.
Can you say the same about Americans?
https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/26/...ronews-answers
https://infogram.com/1prlpr90n99kynu...vzz0efm36mrvrx

Most European students are learning a foreign language in school while Americans lag.

Unlike in US, most European students learn a foreign language
Americans are mostly monolingual, it's just too easy to be more multilingual than Americans. Actually, the only industrialized countries that are more monolingual than the US all speak English(the UK, Australia, New Zealand).

Europeans are doing better only because they have to learn English.
If English is excluded, most big European countries are as monolingual as the U.S.

Small European countries tend to be more multilingual, but they only comprise a small percentage of the European population. The population of Spain is 46.57 million. The population of Nordic countries is 27.06 million, Netherlands 17.08 million, Luxembourg 0.6 million. If you do the math, you'll realize that the population of all multilingual European countries combined is even less than that of Spain.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Well sure, the numbers are lower because in America there is one continent which speaks english and the other who speaks spanish, so things are artificially helped. Do WASP people actually learn spanish to converse with said migrants or comunities ? That would be surprising. It does not mean that the phenomenon does not exist in Europe on a different scale. I hear many different languages everyday in the street (I'll add Russian or Romanian to the list) and I don't even live in a very large city. 95% of these people still speak Italian, and I bet many can speak English as well.
According to NYT, more than 800 languages are spoken in New York City.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/nyregion/29lost.html

Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah sure, but then London or Paris probably have a good number as well. NYC is not Kansas. I don't know how many we have here, but Urdu, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Turkish, and a bunch of African languages are quite well represented.

Also, English is indeed very important, but for instance many Italians also speak Spanish or French, and German is pretty important in central / eastern Europe I guess. It's not only about English, although it remains the #1 foreign studied language so far. Many people do better at languages that are not English.

Also, dialects.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:29 AM

102 posts, read 78,782 times
Quote:
Asian tourists speak some English and zero German/French/Spanish.

But Europe wouldn't be Europe if it's English only. Maybe Spanish is a good choice as the lingua franca in Europe.
Actually I'm amazed at how many Asian and Russian tourists know Spanish

Old 01-18-2019, 08:53 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
The practical implications of this are real, in the sense that lots of people in NYC are able to converse in different languages. But this is not the same as people going out and actually learning a second or third language.

Multilingualism in places with high immigration is almost "accidental". You immigrate to a new country, so you bring your old country's language with you and you learn your new country's language because you have no choice. So that makes you bilingual right off the bat. You may also teach your kids your ancestral language and they'll learn the new country's language on the streets and in school. So there are more bilingual people right there - "accidentally" again, though.

This is not exactly the same as Bjorn Bjornsson in Stockholm who has no ties to Spain but who takes courses and becomes fluent in Spanish.

Also the lack of enthusiasm for learning and knowing languages in a country is evidenced by how quickly the descendants of immigrants shed the old language, and become monolingual speakers of the old country's language only.

If you go to places in the U.S. which are low-immigration today but have a significant share of their population descended from immigration 100-150 years ago (like Germans, Italians or Scandinavians), most everyone is now monolingual in English. Their ancestral languages are long lost, and very very few people can speak the second language that's taught in the school system there (usually Spanish or sometimes French).

Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Where there is a need....

In my experience, those from the smaller countries such as the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, etc have very impressive language abilities. As a Dutchman told me on a train once, "We are a small country surrounded by big ones, so we have to learn to talk to them."

I used to think the US should mandate or encourage achieving something close to fluency in another language. Now I am not so sure. I invested many years in learning German and even studied there. At one point my German was quite good. But since then I rarely use it in any meaningful way, so it has faded. Sure, I could join a Stammtisch, watch more German movies and read more in German, but that only goes so far.

For me it is a hobby. For the aforementioned Europeans from smaller nations, it is akin to a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe