Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 PM

4,358 posts, read 4,202,406 times

Advertisements

With social unrest, riots, poor economy, and an unpopular leader. I wonder of France can turn it around or are they on their way towards second world status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 PM

5,910 posts, read 5,819,968 times
Well France remains one of the wealthiest countries, hardly likely to join the ranks of Greece. Social unrest has long been an established feature in French life. The spirit of the revolution and taking to the streets to fight perceived injustices or ill thought out policy has been pretty much the norm.

A hard nation to rule. The people are impossible to silence. Besides, large numbers of the French population support actions like strikes and civil disobedience, unlike the Anglo world.

An example, when living there, an action impacting movement on motorways with striking lorry drivers, across the nation, meaning huge delays in the boiling sun, still maintained 'understanding' from large swag of the French population.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,445,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well France remains one of the wealthiest countries, hardly likely to join the ranks of Greece. Social unrest has long been an established feature in French life. The spirit of the revolution and taking to the streets to fight perceived injustices or ill thought out policy has been pretty much the norm.

A hard nation to rule. The people are impossible to silence. Besides, large numbers of the French population support actions like strikes and civil disobedience, unlike the Anglo world.

An example, when living there, an action impacting movement on motorways with striking lorry drivers, across the nation, meaning huge delays in the boiling sun, still maintained 'understanding' from large swag of the French population.
I don't know in what part of Australia you live in, but Melbourne gets strikes on a regular basis.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 PM

630 posts, read 519,090 times
France has a high unemployment rate. It's slowly declining.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,274,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
With social unrest, riots, poor economy, and an unpopular leader. I wonder of France can turn it around or are they on their way towards second world status?

No, the French simply have guts to stand up to this whole corporate "globalization" project, that brings their living standards down.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:47 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,697,481 times
France is becoming the new Egypt.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:13 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,272,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don't know in what part of Australia you live in, but Melbourne gets strikes on a regular basis.
Do you? I cannot remember the last strike here in Sydney. The last potential train strike was averted at the last minute.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,095,401 times
Quote:
More Yank fantasia....it must be something in the water over there.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:27 AM

9,297 posts, read 14,196,022 times
Quote:
No, France is not becoming the "new Greece". France is still a great industrialized nation and is home to dozens of highly competitive multinational companies. Yes, France can turn it around.

Like many countries of early industrialization (which Greece never was and still isn't), the French economy is paying a high price for promises and commitments made to people especially in the 1960s-1990s period (the Greeks promised themselves the same benefits, without the industry to back them up).

It is possible to get over the hump, so to speak, but it will require economic policies that provide real opportunities to the dynamic sectors of the population, otherwise the current period of stagnation will last another 20-30 years, but which time we'll all be the "new Greece".

Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 AM

29,805 posts, read 18,665,802 times
Quote:
Greece was in financial default and lied about their economic status to the EU and was living off of debt until the EU bankers pulled the plug and they suffered great reductions in income, wealth, jobs, etc for years.

France has been stagnant to very low growth which is pretty much the standard for most of the developed European economies. I don't see anything comparable to the Greece collapse in France at this point in time....as long as they continue making the best wine and cheese, I'm good with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe