Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM

32 posts, read 34,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That' doesn't answer the question, though. The question was, since the Swedes mainly explored eastward, not so much--westward, why is there more Swedish admixture in northern Germany, Holland, and the UK, than in Russia, Ukraine and the Baltics? Or am I misinterpreting the red squares in those areas? (A key would be nice to have...)

"Not enough admixture to shift them in that direction"? Have you ever been to Ukraine, lol? But I suppose the map is reflecting deeper genetics (aka: Ria in Ukraine) than a Viking-era Swedish presence would register?
this is not a map of direct viking influence, its a map of genetic similarity, northwest europe is genetically homogeneous due to a common origin not because of migration. There is basically no direct swedish genetic impact in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
https://www.heritagedaily.com/2018/0...igrants/121487

There is no way that map represents Swedish admixture without a key I am assuming the higher the number the more genetically similar the reference populations are compared to the one sample from Sigtuna. That doesn't equal Swedish admixture it also is picking up that the reference populations and the Stiguna sample descend from a common ancestral population. You may find this link interesting.
Non scandinavians are removed from the sample
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't tell what I'm looking at. Where's the key to the colors on map?

Sigtuna's actually closer to Estonia and Latvia than to Denmark; why isn't there more Swedish admixture in the Baltic states? The map says "foreigners removed" from present-day population calculations, but were they counting Russians as "foreigners"? Doesn't look like it.
It removes foreigners from the Sigtuna samples, compared to modern populations, a large % of sigtuna where immigrants. There is significant viking admixture in the Baltic states, much more than the UK for example, but they are different enough genetically for it not to matter

Old 03-08-2019, 06:31 PM

7,198 posts, read 3,061,975 times
It seems ancient Thracians were similar as Scandinavians genetically.
I posted autosomal result of sample from Bulgaria from the bronze age, he is the closest to modern Swedes www.city-data.com/forum/genealogy/3022610-bronze-age-sample-bulgaria-r1a-z93.html

Now this make sense Thracians, Ancestors of Swedes

Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,230,378 times
Quote:

I am not necessarily disputing a common genetic origin of the Thracians and ancestral Swedes, but that article is twaddle.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am not necessarily disputing a common genetic origin of the Thracians and ancestral Swedes, but that article is twaddle.
I'd always hoped that most people could tell the difference between the Bible and science...

Old 03-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Bellov View Post
It seems ancient Thracians were similar as Scandinavians genetically.
I posted autosomal result of sample from Bulgaria from the bronze age, he is the closest to modern Swedes www.city-data.com/forum/genealogy/3022610-bronze-age-sample-bulgaria-r1a-z93.html

its nonsense, the reason it matches most closely to swedes is similar ancestral components, similar WHG, EEF, STEPPE levels, you can find polish bronze age who are most similar to brits for example, it isn't wrong, its just thats who their deep ancestry is most similar to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe