Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:06 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Actually some of them were part of a human rights contacts group that investigates govt enforced disappearances. This sort of thing is a no-no in Russia where the state holds all rights to your liberty. Doing anything such as posting on facebook that Russia should not own Crimea by force is enough to be hauled off and disappeared there. Nice place they turned Crimea into as long as you don't disagree with Putin.
Wasn’t it a referendum in Crimea? Saw a documentary on Netflix I think- jubilant people waving Russian flags on some square- was very impressive to see how happy they seemed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
They doctor the stats by changing what constitutes murder. The UN reported murders in Russia to be at the rate of 10.82. Putin needs Russians to buy into the lie that he is leading Russia into better days. .
See that this topic diverged from Crimea.
Admire you knowledge: do you know what is the murder rate in the US compare to Russia? I could not find a clear cut info on FBI website.- talk about doctoring stats- the FBI does not include justifiable homicides in the statistic.
So if somebody killed someone and claimed self defense and the jury agreed- as if it never really happened. Dead men don’t talk.
I wonder if they have the same laws in Russia?
Police killing almost always considered justifiable- they don’t count and is not part of statistics.
Nearly a 1000 people killed by police every year for the last few years- scary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.52315d30e187

Old 03-29-2019, 01:31 AM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Actually some of them were part of a human rights contacts group that investigates govt enforced disappearances. This sort of thing is a no-no in Russia where the state holds all rights to your liberty. Doing anything such as posting on facebook that Russia should not own Crimea by force is enough to be hauled off and disappeared there. Nice place they turned Crimea into as long as you don't disagree with Putin.
And you call this "human rights guardians" ?
Quote:
Twenty Hizb ut-Tahrir members detained in Crimea

More:
TASS: Emergencies - Twenty Hizb ut-Tahrir members detained in Crimea

MOSCOW, March 27. /TASS/. The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) has foiled the activities of the Hizb ut-Tahrir terror group (outlawed in Russia) and detained 20 of its members, the FSB Public Relations Center informed TASS.

"On March 27, the Federal Security Service in cooperation with the Russian Interior Ministry and the Federal National Guard Troops Service foiled the activities of a cell of the Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami international terror group during a special operation in Crimea and detained 20 people from among its chieftains and ordinary members," the FSB stressed.

According to the Federal Security Service, members of the terror group "spread terrorist ideology among the peninsula’s residents and recruited Crimean Muslims into its ranks."

Large quantities of propaganda materials, communication and electronic data storage devices used by Hizb ut-Tahrir members were seized during their arrest.

Hizb ut-Tahrir al-Islami (the Islamic Liberation Party ) is an international religious and political organization founded in 1953. Its goal is to remove all non-Islamic governments and bring back Muslims to the "truly Islamic way of life." Russia’s Supreme Court banned Hizb ut-Tahrir in 2003 designating it as a terrorist organization.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
The UN figures departed from the Russian stats a couple years ago which suggests some classification changed. Perhaps they switched from alleged to confirmed murders. Many killings in Russia are posed as accidents so that may be another change. If I had time I could look it up for you...
Could you please, if it is not too much to ask - just links/ reliable sources, doing a research for non- profit lectures- having troubles in getting to the bottom of, but could not possibly ask you to do all the work for me
Thank you.
Thank you everyone- for an interesting discussion with some info not seen/ heard by me before

Old 03-29-2019, 03:49 AM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
See that this topic diverged from Crimea.
Admire you knowledge: do you know what is the murder rate in the US compare to Russia? I could not find a clear cut info on FBI website.- talk about doctoring stats- the FBI does not include justifiable homicides in the statistic.
So if somebody killed someone and claimed self defense and the jury agreed- as if it never really happened. Dead men don’t talk.
I wonder if they have the same laws in Russia?
Police killing almost always considered justifiable- they don’t count and is not part of statistics.
Nearly a 1000 people killed by police every year for the last few years- scary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.52315d30e187
No, our police don't kill so much as in USA. Maybe only several people in year, predominantly the criminals with guns who resist, not civilians. In that don't of necessity. In Russia forbidden possession and free carry short-barrel weapons. And 99.9% of the population (exclude a criminals) do not have pistols. And the police don't shoot just for disobedience. And if policeman, random or not, killed a civilian then will be investigation and policeman can be fired or even jailed.
It's in ideal, but it's not always works.

Оn the one hand it is good, but on the other hand the police are beware to use weapons when it is necessary for fear of investigation. Only in case of emergency. Of course this does not apply to OMON (it's as SWAT).

Last edited by Zimogor; 03-29-2019 at 04:09 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:11 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
Could you please, if it is not too much to ask - just links/ reliable sources, doing a research for non- profit lectures- having troubles in getting to the bottom of, but could not possibly ask you to do all the work for me
Thank you.
Thank you everyone- for an interesting discussion with some info not seen/ heard by me before
https://dataunodc.un.org/crime/inten...micide-victims

You can start there. If you read Russian, you can lookup the Ros stat website for their stats.

Quote:
Admire you knowledge: do you know what is the murder rate in the US compare to Russia?
Its about half the rate of Russia's murder rate. Depending on which year you choose it can be a little more or less.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:14 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
And you call this "human rights guardians" ?
You mean I'm supposed to believe state run disinformation as truth? Comrade come on, I'm not educated in Rossiya I have critical thinking skills! I'm not surprised that Putin's trolls were attracted by a thread regarding Crimea. I wonder how many times you have even been there?

Old 03-29-2019, 12:53 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
The majority of murders were related to drinking, so maybe the decreasing alcohol consumption has automatically lead to fewer murders...

There is some info on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...ohol_and_crime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoho...tion_in_Russia

They said recently on the news here that Portugal has overtaken Russia in terms of alcohol consumption, and I wonder if the increasing murder rate has something to do with it...

Old 03-29-2019, 02:39 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The majority of murders were related to drinking, so maybe the decreasing alcohol consumption has automatically lead to fewer murders...

There is some info on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...ohol_and_crime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoho...tion_in_Russia

They said recently on the news here that Portugal has overtaken Russia in terms of alcohol consumption, and I wonder if the increasing murder rate has something to do with it...
I agree. Certainly for assaults this is the case. The further south you go in Russia though, the less likely drunkeness will lead to violence and vice versa. That's just my own anecdote. You're more likely to experience singing than fighting by drunks in Crimea. At least in Moscow they banned alcohol to be sold at certain hours of the night and also they don't allow public consumption as much as they used to.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Disappearances of who? The pigs who aren't content with their place at the feeding trough? Your either a solution to the problem or you're the problem. There's plenty of Crimean Tatars on the penninsula doing quite well from what I gather.

Russia suppresses those NGOs for a very good reason, there's usually some other "interests" involved isn't there? In Russia it doesn't seem to be about liberty and freedom. It's about responsibility. That's a dirty word in the western world. Putin and his people are RESPONSIBLE for the conditions in RUSSIA, the PARAMOUNT condition required for people to thrive is STABILITY.

That stability comes with a price and at times that price is freedom and liberty. I personally don't think that I as an American citizen have as much freedom and liberty as your average Russian does.

The goal of America and a lot of powerful people in the west is to destroy the STABILITY in Russia and replace it with god knows what. If the Russian state were to ever crumble I can certainly guarantee that the people will regret it terribly if they ever survive it. Americas goal is war from the Baltic to the Pacific. War and death.

I hope the Russian government keeps right on disappearing people who only care for themselves and what they can gain from hanging on the tails of the steeds of 3 horsemen we all know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe