Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:00 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,830 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure there is any particular issue with dental care in rural UK, the system there is the same as in other areas, subsidised or free NHS dentists depending on your situation which are fine if you can find one (they are in short supply in some places but that's just as much an issue in urban areas) plus private dentists if you can't find an NHS one, prefer private treatment or want cosmetic work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 05:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Very nice landscape, I like Lozèrre as well. They remind me a bit of the Lord of the Rings. I'd love to retreat to a calm, peaceful rural area with a very low population density yet a fairly good climate so I might consider those areas.

How are the amenities? I need broadband internet for work. I would assume there is running water, electricity and a sewer system? Do these rural areas have any French big city problems? And how's dental care in rural France, better than rural UK or Appalachia I'd presume? The French tax system worries me though.
What is all this business about 'rural dental care' in the UK or Appalachia? Are you not just quoting bad stereotypes?

BBC - Future - Do Brits really have bad teeth?
https://www.waterpik.co.uk/professio...february-2016/

Old 03-29-2019, 11:04 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Everyone's heard of Sicily , Corsica , Crete , etc. , however I imagine there are plenty of lesser known " backwards " rural places in Western Europe as well , which is why I thought it would be cool to start up a thread about this subject .

By " backwards " I mean poor/underdeveloped/whatever you want to call decidedly not wealthy as well as possessing cultural traits that are considered archaic ( for lack of a better term ) . In other words any rural areas with high unemployment , low wages , high crime rates , as well as customs like family level feuding and such being common , that are located in Western Europe will do .

FWIW I'm planning on making a documentary about such areas in the future which is why I'm interested .
Your question limits the responses you're going to get there are numerous rural areas in Western and Southern Europe that don't have high unemployment, high crime rates etc. that retain a more traditional lifestyle the other thing you're assuming is that lower wages equal less quality of life. I can think of numerous places but won't list them because your posts are biased and are fixated on stereotypes.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:22 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Northern England/Scotland border, it is what produced the American appalachia redneck culture
If I was an Appalachian redneck, hick, or hillbilly, I’d sue you for defamation of character if you suggested that I may be descended from that bunch of illiterate chavs, (although the Scots are not so bad).

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 04-08-2019 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Restructuring

Old 04-09-2019, 03:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,361 times
In Spain - Teruel, for sure. The province is one of the least populated, and it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. They even adopted a slogan "Teruel exists," because even among Spaniards it largely forgotten about.

Edit: I mis-read "backwards" as "backwoods" and interpreted it as lesser-known. I've not really mingled too much with people from Teruel, so I'm not sure how "redneck" they are.. Spaniards generally stereotype people from Murcia - on the central Mediterranean coast, as rednecks.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post

Spaniards generally stereotype people from Murcia - on the central Mediterranean coast, as rednecks.
Well I didn’t know that, but as you’re from Madrid, I’ll accept that you have your finger on the pulse, and know what you’re talking about.
I’ve always liked Spain, but as I’ve got older, I find the cities to be more attractive than the Costas.
Long gone are the days when, with three or four friends, I’d rent a pool home near Malaga, Almeria or Marbella etc., and we’d chase Scandinavian, Dutch, or German girls in the bars and discos there.
Now, my preference is for places like Valencia, Seville, Granada, Bilbao, or Barcelona.
The city of Murcia, in the Province of the same name is beautiful, not too big, and not too small.
It is difficult to match the culinary delights of the restaurants of Madrid, but Murcia comes as close as you can get IMO, plus the authentic bars and tapas joints in the pedestrianised area around the Catedral de Santa Maria are a delight to wander around, and sip a glass of Rioja, or a coñac y café solo.
Anyone contemplating a trip to southern Spain, should consider a visit to Murcia.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
In France Lozère départment ...Highest point is the incredible Mont Lozère with its 1700 meters. Better bring oxygen when you climb it..
You are too funny.
My entire metro area of 3+ million people is at 1600+ meters.
We don't think about oxygen even at the top of the 54 mountains over 4200 meters.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I also am from a large(ish) metro over 1600 meters. The capital of my state is at about 2200 meters.

There is plenty of oxygen where I live, though based on my state government's behavior, I'd say the air is a little thin up at 2200.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:48 AM

622 posts, read 427,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
In Spain - Teruel, for sure. The province is one of the least populated, and it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. They even adopted a slogan "Teruel exists," because even among Spaniards it largely forgotten about.

Edit: I mis-read "backwards" as "backwoods" and interpreted it as lesser-known. I've not really mingled too much with people from Teruel, so I'm not sure how "redneck" they are.. Spaniards generally stereotype people from Murcia - on the central Mediterranean coast, as rednecks.

Murcians are not rednecks (catetos), more like Albacete, Ciudad Real, Valladolid, Zamora.
The stereotype of a cateto is somebody from León.
Teruel is not backward precisely, they have a problem due to depopulation along with parts of Castellon and Guadalajara - a region called "Siberia". But not backward.

People in Teruel are not very talkative, not very social, they are used to solitude and living indoors as the province is very cold. Very good cuisine.

Rural Spain has better quality of life than cities, the problem is depopulation.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 04-12-2019 at 02:00 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post

Rural Spain has better quality of life than cities, the problem is depopulation.
If the quality of life is so much better, then why are people leaving or otherwise depopulating it?

Hmmm.

What does that say about people?

What does that say about the notion of quality of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe