Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times

Advertisements

When driving through Europe, I preferred to stop overnight at the hand-painted Zimmer signs nailed to trees. They had a wholesome smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 03:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I'm actually thinking of doing a " real " reality TV type show that would center on people trading places ...

More specifically a bunch of " poor " people from a " backwards " region of the US would trade places with a bunch of " poor " people from a " backwards " region of Western Europe for a year or so and the show would document their experiences .

Maybe this idea is a bit out there , but I think it's pretty cool so there's that .

Oh and FWIW , I only put the words " poor " and " backwards " in quotation marks to show their inherent subjectivity especially with regard to the present context . I mean I don't want to play the I'm a real considerate person line here , but I truly hope that it's obvious that I'm not out to exploit any segment of any population here .

I'm simply interested in edgy/not so well documented topics is all .
I would also be interested in learning more about Deliverance-like subcultures in both the US and Europe. In the US they exist, the huge distances in the US disconnect the remote areas without access to a Walmart or halfway decent dental care in for example the South or in the mountainous areas from the more developed cities.

In Western Europe, I'm afraid those will be harder to find. There are small ageing villages with abandoned houses because people are moving away, where there is no internet but nothing like in the Southern US or Appalachia. In Eastern Europe, there will be more backwards places with unpaved streets, people living in old houses, using horse carts for transportation instead of cars. For example look at Glod, the village where a part of the Borat movie was filmed.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 PM

83 posts, read 71,210 times
Austria is kinda backwards, especially compared to Germany. You never meet Austrians travelling and their English isn't that good. Seems weird if we take into consideration that Vienna was an Imperial capital.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 PM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
Austria is kinda backwards, especially compared to Germany. You never meet Austrians travelling and their English isn't that good. Seems weird if we take into consideration that Vienna was an Imperial capital.

It's more traditional, but not in any way 'backwards' the way this question was intended. A ton of Germans went to Austria for work in the last 10-20 years...and not because it's 'backward'.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:56 PM

Hundreds of thousands of Serbs went there too, many are praising it as some paradise, while those who reside in Germany never forget to mention how when driving north both Hungary and Austria seem backwards until you reach Germany which is way more modern.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
Hundreds of thousands of Serbs went there too, many are praising it as some paradise, while those who reside in Germany never forget to mention how when driving north both Hungary and Austria seem backwards until you reach Germany which is way more modern.
Austria is not backwards, more traditional and reserved than Germany in certain ways like on immigration and preserving their own identity. The OP seems to be American, over there 'backwards' has a whole different meaning than what people use it for in Europe. If you look at parts of the movie Deliverance on youtube, you'll see what the OP means.

I think the French part of Belgium is a little backwards, less developed, and economically less thriving compared to the Dutch speaking part but nothing remotely Deliverance like.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 AM

26,878 posts, read 38,026,310 times
No way that Austria is backwards.

Even among the biggest ones, there aren't many cities in Germany that can hold a candle to Vienna in terms of grandeur, culture, etc.

It just might be the German-speaking world's greatest city.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I think the French part of Belgium is a little backwards, less developed, and economically less thriving compared to the Dutch speaking part but nothing remotely Deliverance like.

I actually agree with this even though I don't know if it's necessarily a rural issue. The towns and cities just seem run down and stunted in development. It reminds me of like old industrial/mining towns in Eastern Ohio or Western PA.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Austria is quite backwards. You notice it when driving into Germany. The difference is drastic.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I actually agree with this even though I don't know if it's necessarily a rural issue. The towns and cities just seem run down and stunted in development. It reminds me of like old industrial/mining towns in Eastern Ohio or Western PA.
Yes, Belgium cities like Liege are completely run down just like rust belt cities in the US. When I was a kid, we took a train to the South of France and when it passed through Liege I got a cultural shock how run down it is. I believe this is the exact factory I passed back then. It looks even worse from the view from the train, the train tracks pretty much directly pass by it. The only city I have seen that compares to Liege so far is Chicago, I had a cultural shock there too how run down it is in many parts. I've been interested in urban decay ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe