Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
15c is cold! ;P
No, 15c is perfect! That's the temp of northern Sweden and Norway all summer--bliss! Meanwhile, St. Petersburg can get as high as 30c Even 25c is too much. And it's humid in the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It's beautiful.

Tell me, why am I so dead set on Siberia of all places...? The one place people try to avoid. ��
What do you mean, "the one place people try to avoid"? Why avoid Siberia? The scenery is beautiful. Alaska Airlines used to fly entire planeloads of tourists on Alaska' Air's own tour packages, to Siberia: Baikal!. A full plane every week, all summer! The demand was huge.

And you might be interested to know, that in July, it gets into the triple digits (Fahrenheit) in the north as well as southern Siberia.

All your assumptions about Siberia are cliche's, OP. None of them are true. You should see for yourself. But learn Russian, first.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 PM

427 posts, read 241,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do you mean, "the one place people try to avoid"? Why avoid Siberia? The scenery is beautiful. Alaska Airlines used to fly entire planeloads of tourists on Alaska' Air's own tour packages, to Siberia: Baikal!. A full plane every week, all summer! The demand was huge.

And you might be interested to know, that in July, it gets into the triple digits (Fahrenheit) in the north as well as southern Siberia.

All your assumptions about Siberia are cliche's, OP. None of them are true. You should see for yourself. But learn Russian, first.
I'm improving my Russian everyday! I text with native Russian speakers everyday, helping them learn English while they help me learn Russian. My friend told me I'm at a solid A1 level. A long ways to go, buy it's a start.

Also, I love my 90°F summers!

Old 04-18-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I'm improving my Russian everyday! I text with native Russian speakers everyday, helping them learn English while they help me learn Russian. My friend told me I'm at a solid A1 level. A long ways to go, buy it's a start.

Also, I love my 90°F summers!
Are you from NYC? If so, and if you can stand the summers, you'd love Moscow or St. Pete's. It can get swelteringly humid and hot.

Sign up for a regular class to learn Russian, so you get the oral component, and can practice speaking it.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Are you from NYC? If so, and if you can stand the summers, you'd love Moscow or St. Pete's. It can get swelteringly humid and hot.

Sign up for a regular class to learn Russian, so you get the oral component, and can practice speaking it.
In St. Louis, Mo...Confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers...in other words, 90°F and 90% humidity.

I went to Arizona once, it was 110°F with no humidity, and other people were complaining it was hot. I'm like "this is the perfect temperature". It got me.hot and sweaty, but it wasn't swelteringly hot.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
In St. Louis, Mo...Confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers...in other words, 90°F and 90% humidity.

I went to Arizona once, it was 110°F with no humidity, and other people were complaining it was hot. I'm like "this is the perfect temperature". It got me.hot and sweaty, but it wasn't swelteringly hot.
Yeah, New Yorkers love the Southwest! That dry heat! Meanwhile, I'm melting into a little pool of butter. I tell them, "Heat is HEAT! Either way, it's still HOT!!!" They disagree.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, New Yorkers love the Southwest! That dry heat! Meanwhile, I'm melting into a little pool of butter. I tell them, "Heat is HEAT! Either way, it's still HOT!!!" They disagree.
Heat is good. I've never lived in a place that did not experience all 4 seasons. I can't imagine living in Florida and never really experiencing winter.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 PM

So, what's your long-range plan? Live out your life in Russia? You wouldn't be entitled to a pension, if you don't work. Do you really want to grow old over there? That's a really long time... And you don't plan on getting any higher education? I think you'll get bored out of your skull eventually.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
So, what's your long-range plan? Live out your life in Russia? You wouldn't be entitled to a pension, if you don't work. Do you really want to grow old over there? That's a really long time... And you don't plan on getting any higher education? I think you'll get bored out of your skull eventually.
I don't think I'm too worried about a pension, as by the time I'm 37, I'll be get 30,000 dollars a year without being taxed.

I don't know about growing old there. I could live there 1 year and decide to come back. I could live there 10 years and decide to come back. I could never move back.

I've wanted to go back to college (I dropped out after a year because of the cost, you know how much college costs here), but didn't because it was too expensive. College in Russia is about $2000/year from what I'm seeing, which is more than affordable for me. Maybe I decide to get a degree. Then I can get a job. I have no problems with working a job.

EDIT: I should have mentioned the amount isn't fixed. It goes up 3% every year compounded. So it's better than fixed.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'm too worried about a pension, as by the time I'm 37, I'll be get 30,000 dollars a year without being taxed.

I don't know about growing old there. I could live there 1 year and decide to come back. I could live there 10 years and decide to come back. I could never move back.

I've wanted to go back to college (I dropped out after a year because of the cost, you know how much college costs here), but didn't because it was too expensive. College in Russia is about $2000/year from what I'm seeing, which is more than affordable for me. Maybe I decide to get a degree. Then I can get a job. I have no problems with working a job.

EDIT: I should have mentioned the amount isn't fixed. It goes up 3% every year compounded. So it's better than fixed.
You should start a blog on C-D, so you can keep us posted as to developments, and let us know how you like Russia, when you get there. (There's a blog feature here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe