Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
There was a process you used to do it. Setting the water aside for a day in buckets allows the chlorine to evaporate out of it. Then there was a conditioner you added just to make sure. What went wrong I have no idea.

Zimogor. My experience/info is 10 years out of date. I only know how it used to be back then.
Yes, 10-15 years ago, the water was of poor quality. This was due to the fact that the water purification infrastructure was in a terrible state after the ruin of the 90s. Much better now. But many people use habitual water filters or bottled water for drinking and cooking. I can drink tap water, but my wife only drinks from the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 PM

45 posts, read 38,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Don't let him swing from God's way...if someone wants to move to Russia from the west this means they worship not just Jesus but also Trump. I'd rather let Russia have this type of people rather than my country.

This right here is a perfect example of a twisted left wing liberal mind who knows nothing about President Trump or anything else for that matter.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM

427 posts, read 245,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi97 View Post
This right here is a perfect example of a twisted left wing liberal mind who knows nothing about President Trump or anything else for that matter.
It's not that they're twisted...it's more like they lack any sort of brain worth speaking of. When God was giving everyone else brains, they gave him trains. That's what my mom always used to say...hey, it didn't make sense, but who cares!

Old 05-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
It's not that they're twisted...it's more like they lack any sort of brain worth speaking of. When God was giving everyone else brains, they gave him trains. That's what my mom always used to say...hey, it didn't make sense, but who cares!
I have also heard the one about the trains instead of brains!
You really started a thread here with your original post.... I have just finished reading all 33 pages.
A little bit about myself.....all of my parents and their parents were born in Russia, I grew up in Paris France until the age of 14 and only spoke Russian until that time, when we moved to the US. I still speak Russian fluently. My wife and I went to Moscow and St Petersburg this last Christmas for 3 weeks, it was my first time ever, we loved it so much we are going back for this summer for 2 months.....I was so surprised to see how clean the cities were, I am talking about the Moscow subway for one, not a cigarette butt, not a piece of paper, not a bum in sight, no nasty smells like on the NY or Chicago subways. We went out at all hours and all over the cities, walking and taking the Metro.....not once did we experience any uncomfortable moments or any fear.
You are studying the language, it is difficult for most people, bu you seem to have a strong desire to get it done and you will.
I watch Russian TV online, here is the link : https://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b6361-Moscow-24-TV.htm
There are many different channels, the main ones are Moskva24 and Russia24, others have Russian TV detective series (channel 5 is my favorite)... I think watching these will help you tremendously.
Good luck with your travels, you will do just fine on $1500/month.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:14 AM

427 posts, read 245,576 times
Quote:
I have also heard the one about the trains instead of brains!
You really started a thread here with your original post.... I have just finished reading all 33 pages.
A little bit about myself.....all of my parents and their parents were born in Russia, I grew up in Paris France until the age of 14 and only spoke Russian until that time, when we moved to the US. I still speak Russian fluently. My wife and I went to Moscow and St Petersburg this last Christmas for 3 weeks, it was my first time ever, we loved it so much we are going back for this summer for 2 months.....I was so surprised to see how clean the cities were, I am talking about the Moscow subway for one, not a cigarette butt, not a piece of paper, not a bum in sight, no nasty smells like on the NY or Chicago subways. We went out at all hours and all over the cities, walking and taking the Metro.....not once did we experience any uncomfortable moments or any fear.
You are studying the language, it is difficult for most people, bu you seem to have a strong desire to get it done and you will.
I watch Russian TV online, here is the link : https://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b6361-Moscow-24-TV.htm
There are many different channels, the main ones are Moskva24 and Russia24, others have Russian TV detective series (channel 5 is my favorite)... I think watching these will help you tremendously.
Good luck with your travels, you will do just fine on $1500/month.
I'm shocked you've heard the brains and trains thing...I've said it before and every single person I've said it to looked at me like I was nuts, even when I explained it. That's a lot of reading you did, haha.

Is the metro 24/7 in Moscow? I assume it is but have no idea. I had no idea it would be so clean, many Americans seem to have a lot of misconceptions about Russia, it's sad really. It is a very difficult language...as far as reading comprehension, I can understand some Russian memes on Reddit by guessing context, I also know about 100-200 words, which isn't a lot, but it's probably a lot more than most of the people going to study beginners Russian at a university there know. I also am learning where all the letters are on the keyboard so I can type in Russian on my phone fairly well!

I will definitely watch those channels! I've been watching some cartoons in Russian and love them (Котёнок По Имени Гав и Черубашка)...something about old Soviet cartoons is quite endearing to me.

This is a dumb question, but would a guy be out of place there if they wore slacks and a button down all the time?

Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM

The majority of Americans are victims of the nonstop anti Russian propaganda that has been dished out by the media and Hollywood for decades, I too believed Russia to be the "evil empire" until a few years ago when I started to look into it myself.
The Moscow metro does not run 24 hrs, it shuts down around 1 or 2 and re opens before 6. It is unbelievably efficient (and clean as I said before) and to think 7 million people a day use it, yes it is very crowded, but orderly! You never have to wait more than 2 minutes for a train, usually less. It is best to buy a pass if you are going to use it a lot, there are several different passes you can buy.
Food is also very inexpensive in grocery stores (compared with US prices). Slacks and a shirt will not make you stand out in any way, but rather make you blend right in.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
The majority of Americans are victims of the nonstop anti Russian propaganda that has been dished out by the media and Hollywood for decades, I too believed Russia to be the "evil empire" until a few years ago when I started to look into it myself.
The Moscow metro does not run 24 hrs, it shuts down around 1 or 2 and re opens before 6. It is unbelievably efficient (and clean as I said before) and to think 7 million people a day use it, yes it is very crowded, but orderly! You never have to wait more than 2 minutes for a train, usually less. It is best to buy a pass if you are going to use it a lot, there are several different passes you can buy.
Food is also very inexpensive in grocery stores (compared with US prices). Slacks and a shirt will not make you stand out in any way, but rather make you blend right in.
RE: the bolded--now you know one thing citizens' taxes go toward. Public transit on all levels is highly developed, and runs very frequently, because it has to. Though more people have cars now than before, most are dependent on public transit. Good public transit is a good thing, don't get me wrong. Just saying; it's expensive to have systems that run super-frequently.

RE: the underlined; given that Russia's is a 3rd-world economy, that comparison is meaningless. Of course everything's going to be a lot cheaper.

Cheap goods in a 3rd-world economy (a lot of visitors for the first time say it's 4th World), and frequent public transit don't mean it's not some kind of regime not to be wary of, though, and deal cautiously with. Those aspects of the economy have nothing to do with a country's foreign relations policies.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Why would anybody say Russia is 4th world? That's neolithic living standards, very few Russians need to use stone tools to hunt and gather with. I'm sure some do just for fun though. Economically it sure as hell isn't. I'd call the US economy 4th world, most Americans cannot live on what they make. Between taxes, absolute necessities and life choices (such as kids) Americans are 4th world, reduced to slaves with little propect of ever having their lot in life improve,, chained to the grinding system they live in. Just like our neolithic ancestors.

Russians currently have far more choices and opportunities than your average American.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE: the underlined; given that Russia's is a 3rd-world economy, that comparison is meaningless. Of course everything's going to be a lot cheaper.

Cheap goods in a 3rd-world economy (a lot of visitors for the first time say it's 4th World), and frequent public transit don't mean it's not some kind of regime not to be wary of, though, and deal cautiously with. Those aspects of the economy have nothing to do with a country's foreign relations policies.
Why do you people have to politicize everything?
Have you been to Russia recently?
It is hardly a "3rd world" as you put it, the cities are cleaner and more modern than most American cities and they are safe, as there are no American "style" ghettos, people are in good shape and look healthy because they are, the traffic is horrendous however.
The food cost comparison is important to note as the OP is going there with a US income, even then, the food costs a lot less there than in the US, especially where you are.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Why would anybody say Russia is 4th world? That's neolithic living standards, very few Russians need to use stone tools to hunt and gather with. I'm sure some do just for fun though. Economically it sure as hell isn't. I'd call the US economy 4th world, most Americans cannot live on what they make. Between taxes, absolute necessities and life choices (such as kids) Americans are 4th world, reduced to slaves with little propect of ever having their lot in life improve,, chained to the grinding system they live in. Just like our neolithic ancestors.

Russians currently have far more choices and opportunities than your average American.
A lot of people who have never been there before go into shock when they see it. I'm not talking about Moscow or St. Pete's. I think part of the problem is that they expect it to be closer to Western Europe in living standards.

4th World is Indian reservations, and the like. Even Native Americans who visa, say it reminds them a lot of "home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe