Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

Hopefully then America and Russia will become one country while China, eastern europe/EU will be their opposition...as things are heading in the past 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
As a result of your thread I briefly entertained an image of moving to Russia when I retire already fluent in Russian etc...

- but every time I read their news sites and forums.... Imagine gaslighting succeeding in your country; what you see as white you are told it's black and it goes on for generations. The amount of mind-f**king is enormous. The gaslit brain cannot fight anymore and turns to apathy. Yet in that apathetic place, people taunt each other "You wanted capitalism?? Here we are, enjoy!" - not even realizing that what they see around them is not capitalism, but a cruel irony of it.

The short explanation of the phenomena, verbatim, (by Buttigieg): "Take capitalism and remove democracy, you will get Russia, an oligarch state".

- That alone stops me hard.

And back to your question of "What if Putin dies?". This conversation goes on lately more and more openly in Russian media (of course, not on the "party" channels), as well as parallel themes of possible end-game ("Nazarbayev retired in Kazakhstan, why cannot Putin do the same?") in a more emboldened fashion, as a consequence of (as I see it) the sanctions, very slowly, doing their job (yay). Back in 2014 it was patriotism "The Crimea is ours! Putin is our father and hero! We don't need your dollars and imports! We will develop our own industry! Ha!" --- 5 years later, what used to be bragging about vacations in Rome and Cyprus and the Maldives, turned to discussion of lucky buys in dollar stores... internet-savvy young people go out on meetings (you should research Navalny, the opposition figure, on Youtube); the government is seriously thinking of "turning off internet"; the forums where moderators used to suppress any negative talks about hardships and insulting Putin, let them be. People ironically (yet still apathetically) put down "the father of the nation" and compare the current situation with the stagnation of the last years of Brezhnev (saying that this time feels worse). So the foundation is being laid out, in the minds of the population, about the inevitability of change. The people are not as homogeneous as in North Korea, as in the recent past they were exposed to travel and imported goods and quickly built all the shiny "cities" and westernized malls, just before plunging into surviving hand to mouth.

Last edited by nuala; 04-14-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 AM

427 posts, read 245,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
As a result of your thread I briefly entertained an image of moving to Russia with my retirement money already fluent in Russian etc...

- but every time I read their news sites and forums.... Imagine gaslighting succeeding in your country; what you see as white you are told it's black and it goes on for generations. The amount of mind-f**king is enormous. The gaslit brain cannot fight anymore and turns to apathy. Yet in that apathetic place, people taunt each other "You wanted capitalism?? Here we are, enjoy!" - not even realizing that what they see around them is not capitalism, but a cruel irony of it.

The short explanation of the phenomena, verbatim, (by Buttigieg): "Take capitalism and remove democracy, you will get Russia, an oligarch state".

- That alone stops me hard.
Honestly? I know. Take one look at Russia Insider/Russia Insight, an "INDEPENDENT" Russian news source and you'll know how far it goes. All pro Russian videos/articles and not a cricit in sight. As a Jew, the fact that they went on a anti-Semitic rant aut how disgusting Jews are makes me feel hated (as it should). RT denounced them, but I still wonder how many Russians share that point of view. The pogroms are closer to today than American slavery was, and Eastern Europeans have never been fans of Jews...they are the ones who wrote The Hidden Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

I really only watch their pop-culture videos, not the news videos.

I probably would never mention I'm a Jew, there.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I'm actually a guy...

I wouldn't let being put on a list (if that even did happen) stop me from going.

Putin is a strong leader and that's what every country should want. I've seen videos of how he deals with situations...like when the Dagestani police officer was executed by a group of terrorists and he told his brother's to keep on fighting them, so Putin posthumously gave him the Hero of the Russian Federation.

Every country should want a leader who won't let people walk all over his country.
My bad, somehow I got the impression you were a girl. Don't know why.

That does change things. Watch out for Russian girls. They are very capable of ripping your heart out or chaining you up in a woodshed and only letting you out to play when they want to.

1 thing to remember is if they'll have anything to do with you at all they have great expectations of you. If you meet a nice girl you better be man enough for her. They are not to be trifled with.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
My bad, somehow I got the impression you were a girl. Don't know why.

That does change things. Watch out for Russian girls. They are very capable of ripping your heart out or chaining you up in a woodshed and only letting you out to play when they want to.

1 thing to remember is if they'll have anything to do with you at all they have great expectations of you. If you meet a nice girl you better be man enough for her. They are not to be trifled with.
I don't mess around with women's hearts. Once I find one I like, I stick around and try to make it work. I want kids and a family.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Honestly? I know.
I added more stuff to my post.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
RT denounced them, but I still wonder how many Russians share that point of view.
It is also an interesting phenomena with Russians. They can be personal friends with Jews and Buryats and Tadjiks. But when they talk of the groups, ethnicities as a whole, their xenophobia manifests itself. It's an interesting co-existence. Say, two friends talk, one with Slavic roots, the other could be a Tatar or a Jew. "There are two many blacks where I live", says one. ("Blacks" could be any nationality from the Middle East). Or, "The black are dirty". Or, "Jews are cunning". The Slavic one has a certain line in his/her head. Anyone in the friend zone loses ethnicity, in their eyes. They become ones against the world. Therefore, the friend should equally be outraged by the presence of "too many blacks". It does not enter their mind that their friend might be, in this moment, experiencing cognitive dissonance.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I added more stuff to my post.
Thank you for the further information. What is your home country, by the way?

Also, this is slightly off topic, but was Khrushchev as dim-witted as I hear many people making him out to be?

Sure, he banned certain art simply because he thought it looked awful, and as far as I can tell, the Virgin Lands initiative was a total failure, but surely you can't be stupid to get into a position like that?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It is also an interesting phenomena with Russians. They can be personal friends with Jews and Buryats and Tadjiks. But when they talk of the groups, ethnicities as a whole, their xenophobia manifests itself. It's an interesting co-existence. Say, two friends talk, one with Slavic roots, the other could be a Tatar or a Jew. "There are two many blacks where I live", says one. ("Blacks" could be any nationality from the Middle East). The Slavic one has a certain line in his/her head. Anyone in the friend zone loses ethnicity, in their eyes. They become ones against the world. Therefore, the friend should equally be outraged by the presence of "too many blacks". It does not enter their mind that their friend might be, in this moment, experiencing cognitive dissonance.
Does a lot of anti-jewish sentiment exist, though? I'm fairly sure I would never tell anyone there I was Jewish, and hopefully my last name doesn't give it away.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Does a lot of anti-jewish sentiment exist, though? I'm fairly sure I would never tell anyone there I was Jewish, and hopefully my last name doesn't give it away.
Can you vouch for your country, USA as a whole, that "a lot of anti-jewish sentiment exists" ? What your answer would be? I would think you would say, that, first, jewish people are nearly indistinguishable in the population; no one pays attention day-to-day, who is what; that overall yes, you could say that there is a weak current of anti-jew sentiment, but not in everyday life; and, lastly, that you cannot possibly speak for the whole country.

The same answer would be from me to you, about Russia. The jewish people are many and everywhere. A weak undercurrent can be felt, but nothing like denying them a profession or a job. The real hate is outsourced to white nationalists, like in the US. But it does not prevent you from living your life. Basically, the situation is comparable to USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe