Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Spain has the best nightlife in the world, according to the results of a new poll.
Isn't this headline 100 years old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Language plays a role too. Fewer Spaniards are fluent in English vs say the Netherlands or Germany.

I've met only a few Spaniards travelling but those I have have been very extroverted and friendly, even if their English was not great.
A lot of Spaniards speak English in areas with large British populations such as the Costa Del Sol and in tourist areas. However away from these areas further inland Spain I should imagine most Spaniards don't speak a vast array of foreign languages, although I should imagine knowing Portuguese or French would be helpful in certain parts of Spain which border these countries.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I love how Spaniards are out late at night, sometimes with the kids, living life.

Yes, indeed, i visit Spain fairly frequently, most recently Blbao. What always impresses me is how lively people after 9PM and how this liveliness is shared by people of all ages, including kids, and is NOT related to alcohol consumption. Liveliness is in their blood.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
What about Italy? Don't they also have the best nightlife? Ciesta period in the afternoon and then it's really dynamic during the night..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:15 AM

560 posts, read 599,013 times
Recently the night in Lisbon is as this:

These are normal streets.... main streets actually and it stays like this almost all summer. Every single night.

the pinnacle is the night of June 12th where its celebrated Saint Anthony where almost 400k people go out.

And this serves as response as well why because a country with high unemployment people can afford to go out. Like I said you don't need to spend much money to go out.

Pints for a dollar or less ... "bifanas" for 2-3 dollars and sardines for the same or less and you have a party with music all over, each little kiosk with a different music and in the end everything gets mixed in you don't even pay attention to it eheh

Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Spain has the best nightlife in the world, according to the results of a new poll.

Research by FutureBrand found that major cities such as Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia were highly rated by consumers, due to their good selection of clubs and bars.

Spain 'has the world's best nightlife' - Masa Overseas Property News (Spanish Property Blog | expert advice from from Europe's Leading Spanish Property Company - broken link)
I lived near Valencia for a year, and visited it often. I also visited Barcelona and Madrid at times. Yes, the latter two has great nightlife. Valencia's was okay too.

But, I wouldn't put all three in the world's best, by any stretch, and definitely not Valencia as being anywhere remotely near the world's best.

By FAR....a person absolutely MUST get out of their Eurocentric bubbles or American-centric bubbles. Most would easily say that cities like Bangkok, Rio de Jainero, Manila, etc has some of the best nightlife. Other might even put New York City or London up there as the best, and I wouldn't disagree, but I personally think Southeast Asia and Brazil just knocks it out of the park. Some might say Barcelona or Madrid, but they probably wouldn't have traveled much to compare, particularly if they made the claim it to the best in the world. And if a person puts Valencia up there as some of the best in the world, that it has become very very Spain-centric with very little awareness of the nightlife outside of Spain's borders.

But, than again, the original quote does come from a Spain Real Estate promotional ad.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:27 AM

8 posts, read 11,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I love how Spaniards are out late at night, sometimes with the kids, living life.
- So true

Spain also has the worlds worst economy as a developed country, But the exciting nightlife for youth doesnt start until after 2-3am, which for me is a problem. No wonder the economy is a shambles. Youth is so pooped from clubbing they cannot work -- I assume.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 AM

8 posts, read 11,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived near Valencia for a year, and visited it often. I also visited Barcelona and Madrid at times. Yes, the latter two has great nightlife. Valencia's was okay too.

But, I wouldn't put all three in the world's best, by any stretch, and definitely not Valencia as being anywhere remotely near the world's best.
I stayed in Zaragosa and the nightlife was AWESOME even there. And I live in Tokyo -- from LA.
Yup, I know nightlife.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsan View Post
I stayed in Zaragosa and the nightlife was AWESOME even there. And I live in Tokyo -- from LA.
Yup, I know nightlife.
Tokyo's nightlife sucks....I was living in Japan for six years. Trains stop running way too early in Tokyo, and everyone is forced to go home. I was living in Niigata and Osaka, and hated when out-of-Japan people wanted to party in Tokyo.

People always say you have to be 'in the know' to know the cool afterhours in Tokyo...but it should just be all right out there openly like you'd find in Manila, Bangkok, Jakarta, Seoul, etc....or Spain.

I'm not saying Tokyo isn't great compared to many U.S. cities...but it has a lot to be desired from international standards. I think almost everytime I tried to do an allnighter, (and I'm generally great at those), I was forced to go to an Internet Cafe and net surf until I could get the first train home in the morning. There just wasn't much to do after the trains stopped running in Tokyo. Sure, some izakaya and such...but could do that anywhere in Japan at anytime.

Whereas in Spain, you actually have people out all night drinking and socializing everywhere. So, yeah, no comparison, Spain is more fun than Tokyo. I would strongly agree with that.

Tokyo is pretty low on the list, for me, of interesting or fun places to drink in Asia. I always marveled at how it developed a reputation as a fun nightlife destination.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:32 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
Spanish people go to LatAm for fun, enough to say.
Those with little money go to Torremolinos or the Canary Islands, and the rest stay home with a botijo and a radio to hear soccer games.
Those countries were like Spain 50 years ago, poor but happy, no worries and people enjoy life every second.
As to Valencia, Valencia is just an average city with the "fallas", "horchatas", "paellas" and billions spent and down the drain.
The only people that love Valencia are Italians, they say (I don't know) that they are the people most similar to Italians in Spain, the city of the Borjas or Borgias.
Spain was fun during the 60's, the real Ibiza, a country waking up with growth rates of 20 percent, alegria, fiesta, fandango!! Toros y flamenco!!! From then on, all decadence and inferiority complex. No fun, no bullfights, donkeycracy, corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe