Originally Posted by Simple Living
1. What is the best thing about living in the Netherlands?
2. What is the worst thing about living in the Netherlands?
3. What is the most misunderstood thing about the Netherlands?
Thank you Simple Living, I have thought about them for a while (which is good).
1. Be part of the material well off world in a relatively peaceful country where the big tragedies you read about in the papers are not often happening.
2. When the middle rules this has also negative effects. Among them, holding the lower class down, group think, politics that's self-congratulating and not looking forward enough, etc.
3. Want to know a society? Look at the biggest buildings and read the plate at the front door. In the Netherlands, they read "Insurance company". This is what the Netherlands is. You pay in advance in the hope you get something back when you need it. Insurances, taxes, education, and the list continues. Is trust a two way street? We hope, and fear, and are sometimes disillusioned.
Is this answer of any help?
Regards from Nijmegen, the Netherlands.