Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times

Advertisements

Ok, following that same line of reasoning. Say I know a guy who is really fat but wants a hot Swedish girl. What are his chances. Good? Slim to none? No way in fat hell.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Ok, following that same line of reasoning. Say I know a guy who is really fat but wants a hot Swedish girl. What are his chances. Good? Slim to none? No way in fat hell.
That's funny! I would have to believe , it's no different than any other country. No hot Swedish girl who is into good diet, excerise, etc is going for a fat guy , unless their personalities click , or he's got lots of money. Like I said , no different than any other country.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM

29 posts, read 158,534 times
I live in Stockholm, Sweden and I can't really concur with you on everything.

First of all, the education system isn't that good compared to other european countries. For example, Sweden had one of the worst results in Europe in reading tests. The schools are lacking discipline and the teachers are unmotivated.
Secondly, yes the people are good-looking. But swedes tend to be very stale. If you'd say something to a person on the subway, he or she would probably walk away.

I don't want to scare anyone though. I like Sweden, and Stockholm is a beautiful city.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncut View Post
If you'd say something to a person on the subway, he or she would probably walk away.
My dad always talk to unknown people when he is in Stockholm and most people talks to him too.
But that may just be the older generation.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
If it's any comfort , the United States and Great Britain have a zillion skeletons in their closets as well.
And they are by far much worse than what went on in Sweden. So why bring it up when it had nothing to do with the thread?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
The thread is just generally about Sweden so it is relevant. You are just being nationalistic. Nations are artificial creations so do not take things personal. I'm pretty sure you know these institutions such as Rasbiologiska institutet came about from the idea of Folkhemmet. Thousands of socially (mainly working class) marginalised women were sterilised for stupid reasons without any consent. It is serious and worth discussing. I collect antique (mostly from 1930-1960s) physical anthropology books by Bertil Lundman (who was not as extreme as Herman Lundborg), Gaston Backman etc., and some of the things written should make any sane person uncomfortable. B Lundman said: "I have been especially surprised by the unexpectedly strong correlation between domestic cleanliness and light colouring, and often also between magnanimity and narrow heads." (The Racial History of Scandinavia (http://carnby.altervista.org/scandinavia/scandinavia.htm - broken link))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
And they are by far much worse than what went on in Sweden. So why bring it up when it had nothing to do with the thread?

Last edited by internat; 05-07-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
The thread is just generally about Sweden so it is relevant. You are just being nationalistic. Nations are artificial creations so do not take things personal. I'm pretty sure you know these institutions such as Rasbiologiska institutet came about from the idea of Folkhemmet.
I do most certainly know about it.
It's not being nationalistic, it is just that this poster is posting nothing but these posts regarding Sweden, and it is tiresome. One once in a while, but seriously, constantly? Just look at the immigration forum, and you'll see that comments like that disappear very fast.
Let's say I create a general thread on the US, and starts mentioning stuff like Guatanamo. The thread will either disappear or be moved within an hour or so, because those things are regarded as "political" and are moved to the polics and other controversies forum.
Why are things like this allowed to be discussed in the world forum when it has to do with other countries than the US? Where is the consistency? It cannot be dealt with properly in the wrong forum.

So for all of us who wish to discuss this Swedish shame, and not just have it "mentioned" and never discussed, it should be removed and put into its own thread in the politics forum. I'd be glad to discuss it there and even participate with own examples of Swedish shames, but this thread is general, and therefore it would be wrong to discuss it here, hence I cannot. I've read the TOS.

I hardly think this is what ktalley wanted people to discuss in this thread since it would take over the whole thread.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:16 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Fair enough. Nevertheless, anything can fall under general. You can say that about almost any subject that it can be moved elsewhere.

To be honest I have paid close attention to your posts about Sweden. I also feel you are always defensive about Sweden and try to play the discrimination that permeates Swedish society. Despite that I think you give a dishonest view of what goes on in Sweden with its extreme segregation, I do think you should be allowed to give your opinion like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

I hardly think this is what ktalley wanted people to discuss in this thread since it would take over the whole thread.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Enough of the squabbling, methinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe