Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

I just heard that the Irish have joined the French and Dutch in rejecting another EU treaty, possibly killing the Lisbon treaty. When three countries do the same thing, there's some kind of disconnect.

It makes me wonder: How does the average european feel about the EU? Do you feel the EU institutions are out of touch? If you could have voted for the treaty, would you? As an American, I'm eager to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 12:59 PM

31 posts, read 153,303 times
I sees to me, that in general the younger generation are positive towards the EU compared to the older generation.
I think most of us find the EU quite bureaucratic - no matter if you are pro or con

Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Too bureaucratic but I'm still a big fan.

It allows smaller countries to have a voice, has raised the standard of living , made us more stable, makes trading a lot easier, and alliances have been forged between historically unlikely partners too.

It also means that in a world where the economy is dominated by the US and soon China and India, Europe as a moderately united front will have more economic power and will be able to face those giants on a more even keel.

Is it perfect . Absolutely not. There is far too much bureaucracy and a gravy train which Euro-politicians are taking advantage of.
However as a general coalition I think it has been of great benefit.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:20 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
I don´t like anything about it.
I voted no for a membership and I voted no for the euro and I will continue to vote no for everything that has anything to do about them.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:08 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Well, based on what I've heard, it seems there's a disconnect between the EU and the average citizen. I was reading about how Ireland was the only country that let the people vote on the treaty. the rest decided to go through their respective Parliaments...I have to wonder if they did that to go over the heads of the people.

That said, I think the EU has done a ton of good. There hasn't been a major war in 63 years, and the prospect of membership has actually encouraged countries to make major economic and governmental reforms.

Also, if the previous EU constitution was so hard to understand, why did they make an equally incomprehensible treaty this time? The American constitution is only one large piece of parchment, and has served us well for over 200 years. I don't see why anyone needs a 287 page treaty.

(I'm not one of those Americans who thinks everyone should be like us, by the way)

Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I believe that Ireland would have to rewrite the constitution to pass the treaty without a vote, though I am open to correction on that one. There is always a disconnect between Government and hte people in charge and its citizens. All you have to do is look at the US for that too.

Using Ireland as an example, it wouldnt be half the country it is now without EU monies and has done great for the country. The problem I saw with the treaty is that nobody actually seemed to know what the vote was about, hence alot of people voting no.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:04 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Too bureaucratic but I'm still a big fan.

It allows smaller countries to have a voice, has raised the standard of living , made us more stable, makes trading a lot easier, and alliances have been forged between historically unlikely partners too.

It also means that in a world where the economy is dominated by the US and soon China and India, Europe as a moderately united front will have more economic power and will be able to face those giants on a more even keel.

Is it perfect . Absolutely not. There is far too much bureaucracy and a gravy train which Euro-politicians are taking advantage of.
However as a general coalition I think it has been of great benefit.
Barely anything to add... good post.

I followed the poll closely, there were a lot of nay-sayer campaigns that told the people they will get a better deal (offered by the other EU member states) if they vote no in the first place.

As barely somebody will really have read (and fully understood) the treaty I am personally dissappointed that 350 thousand people could stop the needed reform process. But in the end, they had the right to do so... so I don't blame the Irish.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Don't worry. If it fails they will try again. Remember the Danish No vote in 1992. That's why they're afraid to let the people vote on it. It barely passed the following year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe