Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM

101 posts, read 320,981 times

Advertisements

She only has to apply for "consort of EEC Citizen" in any police station, and she'll have the residency permit automatically. She will be able to travel through Europe thanks to "Schengen".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Hi...I have lived and worked in Cal for 40 years...I was born in Holland was married to 3 Americans
never had the time or money to become an American Citisen...I a am retired lady and would like to move to Spain. I have an English Passport....do I loose my SS if I move...??

Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 21,850 times
You should ask the American SS Administration..

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
There is no work in Spain...at all. The general unemployment rate is 26.8% as of April 2013. The youth unemployment rate is closer to 60%. The average youth unemployment rate in the EU is about 25%.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 AM

9 posts, read 21,114 times
Friedhead

She said we wanted to retire in Spain, not work in Spain.
Yes, there's no work in Spain, that's why Latins and Eastern Europeans are the only ones that want to work on holidays.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
I'm looking to move to Spain for good reason and measure... And I would like to know what would it take to make a life there

Old 01-16-2016, 05:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,153 times
I'm retired, and one day I did a little research on moving to Spain as a retiree. As nice as that might sound, it doesn't seem so nice anymore once you find out that, after 180 days, they consider you a Spanish "resident" subject to their tax. And from what I saw, the taxes were high. So I forgot about that idea. Just go there on vacation and stay less than 180 days.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm retired, and one day I did a little research on moving to Spain as a retiree. As nice as that might sound, it doesn't seem so nice anymore once you find out that, after 180 days, they consider you a Spanish "resident" subject to their tax. And from what I saw, the taxes were high. So I forgot about that idea. Just go there on vacation and stay less than 180 days.
You can invest in 500K Euros real estate and get a 5 year Visa...then after 5 years, you could apply for citizenship. I have a vacation condo in Marbella that would qualify me (going there on Feb 2 for 6 weeks) but also made the decision not to reside there over 180 days due to the high taxes. The cost of living in Spain is lower than the USA and the possibility of accessing their health system is a draw but the taxes will still keep me from going over that 180.

I believe you can only do 90 days, then out for 90, then back in for 90...as a US citizen.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,537 times
For anyone looking to move to Spain- I am currently here on a "non-lucrative" residence visa. Essentially, if you can prove to the Spanish Government that you can fully sustain yourself here from a completely outside source (have 25,560e per year somehow flow into your bank account), whether it be savings, investments, retirement, or a job that you can do remotely- they will let you live here for up to five years (in which case you can apply for permanent residency). Obviously, one has to either save like a mad man, or find a job you can do remotely, but after searching for four years for a way to move back to anywhere in Europe, this is by far the most feasible option for most Americans.. not to mention, you get to live in Spain, with a monthly income that is well above the average. You are also not on the hook for any Spanish taxes, since you are not taking advantage of any services or earning any money here.

The requirements differ slightly from each of the Spanish Consulates around the USA, but here's the information from the San Francisco Consulate:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf

Additionally, for anyone with a university degree, there is the auxiliares de conversation program. You are essentially an assistant to an English teacher at a school- any age from elementary on up to high school. Location and age are pretty much a lottery, and it's decided on a first come first serve basis. I believe the applications just opened up. The pay is only 1000e per month (700e in some regions). You will not be swimming in money, but you can certainly get by, and you will get a visa:

Consejerias Exteriores : Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe