U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 42,434 times

Advertisements

I came to visit United States about three weeks ago and planning to stay for one more week, but i have to say Tensions and Discrimination from Americans towards Russians is really high, mostly in suburban cities, a few times after people found out that i was Russian they just ignored me, and i was harassed at the airport by border control, and they made a weird comment saying that my country is controlled by dictator, i complained to Airport management in JFK and they just ignored my warning, and sarcastically said that it's not my fault for what my country is doing in Georgia, for such comments person would get fired in Russia in airport, i really don't understand how US is allowing it's citizens start Cold War inside their country, and make it legal.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,577,057 times
Where were you?

I was an ESL tutor to Russians and they were wonderful. They were my neighbors but they moved away

I have also been to Russia and had a great time.

I don't know what discrimination you are talking about.

There are a lot of russians around (my cousin is part russian) were you somewhere where there were no foreigners at all?

Strange.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,893,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirKlitchko View Post
I came to visit United States about three weeks ago and planning to stay for one more week, but i have to say Tensions and Discrimination from Americans towards Russians is really high, mostly in suburban cities, a few times after people found out that i was Russian they just ignored me, and i was harassed at the airport by border control, and they made a weird comment saying that my country is controlled by dictator, i complained to Airport management in JFK and they just ignored my warning, and sarcastically said that it's not my fault for what my country is doing in Georgia, for such comments person would get fired in Russia in airport, i really don't understand how US is allowing it's citizens start Cold War inside their country, and make it legal.
Well if it's leaders make stupid desicions, then why would it surprise you that many of it's citizens would act as idiots as well ??? It's all about the media and what you want your citizens to hear and believe. So far every country I've ever been in does many of the same stupid things, they just sugar coat and flavour it differently to claim it as their own.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM

334 posts, read 1,179,995 times
What What What??? Did you just go in a time machine back to the 50s or somethin'?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,151,047 times
How did you act? I've come across several Russian people recently and their attitudes were disgusting. Maybe it's a cultural difference, but that behavior doesn't fly in the suburbs of the US. They were really haughty and thought everyone owed them something. I don't assume all Russian people are that way though.

When Americans travel, apparently some experience the same thing. They get harassed about US politics and George W. Bush. People make nasty comments to them when they are just trying to have a pleasant vacation. Some people say they must have been bahaving obnoxiously and asked for it. If that's the case, then maybe you were behaving in a way that "asked for it". Or maybe it's Americans bringing the karma back around for poor treatment they received abroad. :P

I certainly don't know of any prejudice against Russian people as a whole. I think most Americans love foreigners and their accents and are capable of separating people from their government.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:25 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,247,257 times
Vladimir, to generalise people that do security jobs (those that most people first meet) in American airports have low education. Let's just say they aren't exactly the the crème de la crème of U.S. Be glad you don't look particularly different to a random nwhite American. After 9/11 I saw some stuff that I didn't know to laugh or cry. They were stopping guys who were obviously of Indian origin. Then I also met several people (mostly of Hispanic background) who didn't even know which page of the passport to look at. Furthermore, some spoke poor English. Enough said really.

Too bad you encountered some rude people outside airports as well. The attitude against you is totally uncalled for and it's above everything else unprofessional. I was going to say luckily ordinary Americans are much friendlier. I would say much more than Europeans many times. To tell you the truth foreigners don't get the best treatment in Russia either...you should know that well. There's a lot of racism in Russia against certain ethnic minorities. They are called all sorts of offensive names and some are attacked physically by racist skinheads. When I was in Ukraine (at a time when there was issues between Britain and Russia because of the "spy" row case and Russian planes flying near UK airspace) I spoke to young people whom obviously could speak English, and they tried to force me to speak Russian instead. There's also an almost complete lack of customer service in a lot of Eastern European countries, which is the case all over post-Communist Europe. This doesn't of course represent how all Russians behave. There are good and bad people everywhere.

Last edited by internat; 08-19-2008 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Were they "New Russians"? Look it up if you aren't aware of this group of Russians. The superiority complex you describe would apply to many brainwashed jingoistic Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
How did you act? I've come across several Russian people recently and their attitudes were disgusting. Maybe it's a cultural difference, but that behavior doesn't fly in the suburbs of the US. They were really haughty and thought everyone owed them something. I don't assume all Russian people are that way though.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,925,567 times
Anywhere the vatican has influence you will find a degree of hostility towards anyone from an Orthodox Christian country. History has proved this for the last 1000 years. The vatican despises anyone who is Eastern Orthodox and their objective is to wipe the religion out. The western media in turn always protrays bias towards orthodox nations, thats why America bombed Serbia and thats why Russia is always critized but yet hardly a wrod about other nations and what they do like China and Saudi Arabia.

The recent Georgian conflict is a great example, everyone in the west has seemed to forget the 2000 civilians murdered by georgian troops before Russia came to help. Now the west demonizes Russia all the while forgetting the attrocities that were committed not only by georgians but by the west themselves in many areas of the world.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Anywhere the vatican has influence you will find a degree of hostility towards anyone from an Orthodox Christian country. History has proved this for the last 1000 years. The vatican despises anyone who is Eastern Orthodox and their objective is to wipe the religion out. The western media in turn always protrays bias towards orthodox nations, thats why America bombed Serbia and thats why Russia is always critized but yet hardly a wrod about other nations and what they do like China and Saudi Arabia.
Are you implying this works on some unconscious level because I'm pretty sure most ordinary Americans arent't aware (or do not think of) these differences.

I think you might make connections which don't exist.

Quote:
The recent Georgian conflict is a great example, everyone in the west has seemed to forget the 2000 civilians murdered by georgian troops before Russia came to help. Now the west demonizes Russia all the while forgetting the attrocities that were committed not only by georgians but by the west themselves in many areas of the world.
The Georgia-South Ossetia-Russia conflict is more complex than that. Sure, there are reports Georgians started the trouble first. Russia is indeed demonised in western media which is run by a few groups that have their own agendas. It's funny how the word democratic is used to attack Russia. It's laughable to say the Georgian leader is a democrat.

He's a risk taker, warmonger and peacemaker in one. South Ossetians were given Russian passports in the early 90's. The region is Russian sphere of influence. You can also see it as Russian expansion, on the other hand you have Georgia, which wanted to enter Nato, as did Ukraine. Furthermore, it could also be seen as an issue of gas pipelines. Why have Israel and its ally USA, trained the Georgian military the last few years. So it can also be a small proxy war.

There are indications the neo-cons the Georgian side of the conflict.

Read "One irony of the present crisis is that Washington's neo-conservatives, by demanding a tough stance against Russia, may have harmed Israel's security interests more profoundly than any of Israel's detractors in American politics. The neo-conservatives are not as a rule Jewish, but many of them are Jews who have a deep concern for Israel's security - as does this writer. If America turns Russia into a strategic adversary, the probability of Israel's survival will drop by a big notch."
Source: Asia Times Online :: Central Asian News and current affairs, Russia, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Having spent some time in the Russian immigrant community in my city, I can tell you that Russians have different approaches to relationships than Americans. Russians, without realizing it, can come off very haughty and abrupt--which is considered very rude in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or