Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
eh no...thats not Indians, thats "turkar".... Indians don't come all the way from India to work at Volvo!
Whatever, Volvos are junk anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 PM

101 posts, read 763,481 times
Hey there redwine, you're right. Many Indians do go abroad either for a better education (in my case) or a better job. The new trend with Indians is that a lot of them are returning back to India, as they are getting a much higher pay in India than say, in the US (despite the currency factor).

I am trying by best to integrate with the rest of the city (when in rome, do what the Romans do) but of course the language is definitely hard and takes a long time to master. But the fact that I'm a multilinguist is kind of an advantage when it comes to learning Czech specifically.

One interesting question I have is regrading the different groups of Indians. There are those who are short, stout and dark, those who are medium, slim and light brown complexion and those who are really fair and tall. Do others really make any distinctions based on this criteria?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
eh no...thats not Indians, thats "turkar".... Indians don't come all the way from India to work at Volvo!
No actually they are many Indians from India. India and Volvo have some big contracts together for Volvo to make around 240 buses for their public transposrt system. These Indians already work for Volvo in India or for companies that are contracted by Volvo for various services. Many are computer programmers.

Volvo announces Indian order for city buses - The Local

There are several family that live around the area I do. They are usually here for a few months to a couple of years, then go home. Other Indian visitors are College students. I'm sure there maybe some who immigrate, but I've only met one.

Have'nt met very many Turks, but maybe some who run the Kebab Pizzerias

Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
[b]You should've. They all work at Volvo Truck Division on Hisingen in Göteborg.
I live nowhere near Göteborg....

Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM

22 posts, read 79,948 times

Hi,
I am English and live now in Hamburg Germany. I have lived in quite a few different countries and seen a lot of the world.
In England you would be treated normally, there are so many Indians there that it is normal practise to see Indians in almost every walk of life-job-area. There are a great deal in the National Health system, and very many with their own businesses. Generally they are in the major cities. There have been so many immigrants from past English colonies since the 1800s that it is a part of normal life in England to see people of every hue and nationality. There are huge areas where only Indians live, and one in London is called “little India” and it is almost as if you have never left your country of origin in these areas, only the architecture, geography and the temperature show you where you really are.

Germany is very different to England. They have not had large amounts of immigrants from India at all, and also for not so long as England. People from Turkey are the largest group of immigrants and they first came in the 1960s and 1970s. West Germany suffered an acute labour shortage after the war (don’t forget during the 2nd. world war period Germany killed off almost all of its foreigners, and also those that simply looked different from the wished for ideal) and in 1961, the state and officials in the Turkish Republic( it is not in the EU) negotiated an exchange of skilled professionals. Turkish specialty workers were invited to move to Germany to fill in this gap, particularly to work in the factories and places where German workers didn’t want to work. Turkish citizens soon became the largest group of “guest workers “ in West Germany. “guest because at first it was not planned that they would “stay”.

I simply must say that many Germans do not like foreigners in their country (especially in the east!) and especially those that want to live and work maybe taking their job away from them. I know this sounds awful but it is the facts. If you look foreign or have an accent it is not an easy life in Germany.
I can only tell you what I know about these two EU countries. I have travelled a lot in most of the others but do not have enough accurate information to pass on. Still there are Indian associations in most other EU counties; I would advise you to contact these.
If you have any more questions I would be happy to help you. I like Indians from India and also Indians from America, and sth. America too.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Hey there CM100, thank you for an honest reply. My aunt (mom's sister) actually married a german (from Dusseldorf) and I also lived there for a year (when I was in the 7th grade). I don't really know much about the east but I know that my cousins who were born there and much older than me (in fact they go to the Heidelberg and Tubingen medical schools resp.). They say that they've always loved germany. I guess because they were born and brought up there. But when I went to Frankfurt, I did experience a bit of hostility and it felt weird as opposed to my trip to Berlin and Dresden, where the people were amazing and so nice. The people in Frankfurt did seem to hate foreigners. I guess as much as I love german culture and their food (can't beat that wiener schnitzel und schwarzwalder kirschtorte!!!), I don't think it would personally be a wise option for me to live there as the german doctors are themselves facing quite a lot of problems with their salaries and hence moving to other countries (Scandinavian countries, US, Australia)

Thank you once again for your reply. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-31-2008 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: English only please

Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
No actually they are many Indians from India. India and Volvo have some big contracts together for Volvo to make around 240 buses for their public transposrt system. These Indians already work for Volvo in India or for companies that are contracted by Volvo for various services. Many are computer programmers.

Volvo announces Indian order for city buses - The Local

There are several family that live around the area I do. They are usually here for a few months to a couple of years, then go home. Other Indian visitors are College students. I'm sure there maybe some who immigrate, but I've only met one.

Have'nt met very many Turks, but maybe some who run the Kebab Pizzerias
Ok, I did not know that. Well, Their are many Turks, and yes, they do run Kebab Pizzerias.
But that's in Kista, Sthlm

Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM

I find it very shocking that many "White" people find it much more comfortable to hang out with "Black" people than with Indians. What could be the reason for this? Even in terms of interracial marriage, the highest probability that you normally see is white and black rather than white and asian or white and indian.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,571 times
Dude i am an indian as well, and i think that totally depends from individual to individual,,,, but my suggestion dont look down on anyone, you never know what they have been through causing irrational behaviour. i Personally faced a small problem in quite an elite place in Europe, would not name it,, but that was because someone confused me with a Paki.... so you know which group to hang-out with

Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 AM

85 posts, read 242,723 times
Does any one have any idea about How Indians treated in Arab Gulf region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe