Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Upon reflection on this subject I have surmised that the French people and their country have been painted with a wide brush, by Americans and British folks in particular. The desecration of the graves of Tommys' and GI's on the Normandy beaches by a small group of French protesters caused a flurry of general anger and contempt for France as a whole. Certainly these actions by a few radicals were not condoned by the French people as a majority but the severity of the actions nullified that fact. Coupled with the political headbutting of the French, American and British governments over the War on Terror ( hmm lets not forget the German contribution to that fracas) the respective citizens of the big 3 afformentioned have been caught up in the storm and generalizations of cultures and citizenry flew out of control. ( And the media outlets fanned the flames...blatently). Subsequently there is a perception of general dislike for the French as a people when none really exists ( in the majority of folks anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
"Americans don't like France because they both think they are the greatest country in the world and,obviously-one of them is wrong."

I think this is quite true. Americans tend to think of the French as arrogant for the very same things that Americans do.

I work in a U.S. military environment and it is very cool or popular to dislike even hate the French. I don't think its right personally and most of it really is just that its "popular". Very high schoolish.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:30 AM

113 posts, read 278,251 times
I like France and think the country is beautiful as is the language.
I do think that they are be the butt of a lot of jokes and it's not justified.
As for the comment on the ladies not shaving their legs, probably some still don't. I know a lot of women who don't shave their legs or only shave them when wearing a skirt, the underarms however are always shaved.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
I think the French are fairly stereotypical. So are Americans.

I think that in the U.S. some French are butt of jokes because 'merikans like to make fun of people. But I think that in France... well, the same thing about the French. Or anywhere else on the planet for that matter. The movitivations are probly lack of a more substantial connection.

I think that when in France, Paris is the center of the universe and when in the U.S. NYC is the center of the universe. Same for London. Only, since the U.N. is in NYC, it makes NYC suck more than Paris or London. I'd like to see the U.N. moved to Montreal. Sort of a 'I really meant to be there commitment.' And to throw the Quebequis for a loop.

I don't care much for the ticky-tacky ornamentation on French buildings as I think it must have been a waste of resources. But I'm not French so it's not up to me to determine the value of that stuff. I mean, that guy on the horse, in front of Versailles, I can only imagine he's pointing to a barber shop. In The Netherlands they have mushroom stools on fietspad intersections to tell you where you are. Mushrooms. Those dutch are so crazy.

I don' know much about French food other than the 'slice it off the turning spicket in the window' with some mayo and fries in a tortilla.' Keeps me going. The only thing remotely as satisfying in the U.S. is barbeque. But there's all those food handling laws.

And the French aren't really rude. If I need something I ask in French. That'll get 'em rattling the english faster than a slap in the face.

We're just being French, or American. Depending upon which continenent we're on. Or what we need. Long as we're not pulling out pistols at ten paces we're doing okay.

And I think Australia is probly the greatest country in the world. God bless 'em. They can't go to France or the U.S. without it turning out to be another day.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Kiwis are not fond of the French due to the Rainbow Warrior incident and nuclear testing in the south pacific (aussies don't want nuclear testing in the south pacific either).

I've never had a problem with the French, have been to Paris many times and never had a problem (I'm not a Francophone). Years back when the French did not support Bush in Iraq, the conservatives in the US had a field day (freedom fries) and I met yanks who were questioning why I was headed to France on vacation. I even saw anti-french bumper stickers in Texas (no surprise there). But liberal Americans were fine with the French. The French did help the US in obtaining independence; but the US helped France in the world wars.. so I think they're more than even there... LOL..

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times
But Paris is obviously not the only city in France. What about other cities? Aren't there, say, medium-sized cities in France with vibrant cultural scenes and where people are more relaxed and open to travellers, ex-patriots, etc. of diverse cultural backgrounds?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
This isn't the exact quote but it goes something like this-

Of all of the people I have ever saw, Heaven defend me from the French.
I would rather live with the Hottentots who are nasty on the outside, then live with the French who are nasty on the inside.

-Henry Fielding (1707-1754)
Author of Tom Jones

Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
But Paris is obviously not the only city in France. What about other cities? Aren't there, say, medium-sized cities in France with vibrant cultural scenes and where people are more relaxed and open to travellers, ex-patriots, etc. of diverse cultural backgrounds?
There is not only Paris in France.
If we imagine hat medium sized cities between 500 000 and 2 million inhabitants.
Every french cities of this size are multicultural, multiracial and with a vibrant cultural scene.

So there is Lyon, Marseille, Lille, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Grenoble, Rennes, Strasbourg, Nice, Nantes...

Old 09-07-2008, 01:52 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Every french cities of this size are multicultural, multiracial and with a vibrant cultural scene.

So there is Lyon, Marseille, Lille, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Grenoble, Rennes, Strasbourg, Nice, Nantes...

[+] Rate this post positively

"...vibrant cultural scene"...modern dance&sculpture&painting-not popular, the French public is VERY conservative but hush! don't tell it anybody, it's a "dirty little secret"[secret de polichinelle] heavily financed by the taxpayer, not to speak of the "intermittents du spectacle"
cultural Mafia, basically heavily unionized electricians, stage managers, "arts de la rue " crowd, in other words firegushers, jesters, comedians not good enough to play in a regular theater, tens of thousands of "ayants droit" in other words people who don't work half of the time but still get paid when they don't work- not "the dole", no, regular pay extorted to the general public mostly not interestes in such "vibrant culture"....

Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I think that when in France, Paris is the center of the universe and when in the U.S. NYC is the center of the universe. Same for London. Only, since the U.N. is in NYC, it makes NYC suck more than Paris or London.

Okay, back to talking about France again....I think when many people think of France they do think mainly of Paris (I know I do). So most people are probably stereotyping Parisians more than anything. I'm sure that is a bit annoying to French people who aren't Parisians, just as Americans from different states & cities vary a lot. Especially when it comes to unfriendliness & elitism....those attitudes are usually more prevelent in all big cities, right?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-07-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: off topic material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe