Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Czech Republic more Germanic or Slavic?
Germanic - they drink beer and talk like Germans 38 20.65%
Slavic - I can't tell the difference between them and Poles 146 79.35%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 115,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
The youngsters consider themselves as Central Europeans (the reason is that they don't want to be part of the old Soviet Bloc). We always used to be considered as Central Europe before (by before I mean 10th - 1.st half of 20th century). Now, due to the communist regime, rest of the world looks on us as Eastern Europeans, which really doesn't add up to our popularity.

To answer your question, we are definitely not Germanic, we are Slavic (however, Slavic doesn't necessarily mean Eastern European).

Jay
ehm...what is wrong with being an Eastern European? I don't feel inferior whatsoever.
btw currently there is no such thing as Soviet Bloc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilsk View Post
ehm...what is wrong with being an Eastern European? I don't feel inferior whatsoever.
btw currently there is no such thing as Soviet Bloc.
Sure, there is no such thing as Soviet Bloc, but we are still a former Soviet Bloc country. What comes on your mind when you think of Soviet Bloc? For me it's especially rude people.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Sure, there is no such thing as Soviet Bloc, but we are still a former Soviet Bloc country. What comes on your mind when you think of Soviet Bloc? For me it's especially rude people.
for me as well. plus "something of bad quality"
the good news is slowly but steadily rudeness disappears. Market economy deprives soviet-style workers of jobs and I have totally no compassion to those people fired for being rude and behaving inadequately to customers when they start whining about having no job. Unfortunately there are certain spheres where Market economy doesn't exist in Russia. Like education. I mean it, every time I remember my university teachers they are either damn stupid or damn bitchy and no one can do anything with it. Sure not all of them, but 90% are. They felt and feel above everyone and openly say that.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Czech Republic is definitely slavic.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilsk View Post
for me as well. plus "something of bad quality"
the good news is slowly but steadily rudeness disappears. Market economy deprives soviet-style workers of jobs and I have totally no compassion to those people fired for being rude and behaving inadequately to customers when they start whining about having no job. Unfortunately there are certain spheres where Market economy doesn't exist in Russia. Like education. I mean it, every time I remember my university teachers they are either damn stupid or damn bitchy and no one can do anything with it. Sure not all of them, but 90% are. They felt and feel above everyone and openly say that.
You are right. I'm so glad that the rudeness disappears. It will however take a few decades until it's totally gone. What's really annoying me is that ''Look, a black guy!'' attitude. When I see someone doing this in the tube or tram I feel like killing someone. This is fortunately disappearing too. Does ever happened to you, that you were shopping groceries and the cashier didn't said ''Hi.'' and didn't even looked in your eyes? It happened to me. I'm grateful, it was only once.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede1 View Post
How can anyone glorify a former Soviet bloc country? or its people. These people are part of the 2nd world (communist regime). Czech (oslovakia) should feel honored to be bordered with a country as great and powerful as Germany. When I think of Slavs, I think of Yugoslavia, which has virtually no attractive people (shorter, fatter, broad hips), also formerly taken over by a previous axis power Italy.
DDR was where? And its people were who? And it was an Eastern Bloc nation?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Historically,Czechoslowakia was part Germanic, since until 1919 Slowakia was part of the Austro_Hungarian Empire,(Bratislava, the Slowak capital, was named Preßburg), and Bohemia (Sudetenland in German), although part of the new Czech state in 1919, had still a majority German population , which was expelled in 1945-46, since most of them had been in favor of the annexation of their region to The 3rd Reich in 1939.
so I think there is still a strong Germanic undercurrent in the Czech and Slowak cultures, don't forget that Franz Kafka (who was a Prague resident) was writing in German.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
How can anyone glorify a former Soviet bloc country? or its people. These people are part of the 2nd world (communist regime). Czech (oslovakia) should feel honored to be bordered with a country as great and powerful as Germany. When I think of Slavs, I think of Yugoslavia, which has virtually no attractive people (shorter, fatter, broad hips), also formerly taken over by a previous axis power Italy.
How can you even say this? Do you think that us, who lived in communist regime are happy for that? I am glad that I live by Germany, but why the hell should I be honored? LOL. Germans are great people to hang out with, very open minded and friendly. However, I have a weekend house about 30 kms from German borders and when I go to the woods, all I see is a garbage from Germany and cars with German licence plates standing alone (man and woman in the car). Also, how can you think of Slavs as Yugoslavians? Former Yugoslavia is about 10 - 15 % size of the whole Slavic population. And although I hate to say it, Russian women are one of the hottest in the World. Just go to Germany and then Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland... and you will see the difference.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
just to let you know 1/3 of Germany actually was a Soviet bloc country. So you can start hating them.

Yugoslavia can't "have no attractive people" at the moment because she doesn't exist. Besides, former Yugoslavia nations are only one small part of Slavic peoples. Obviously you haven't been to there. It is not something to be proud of, but Slavic countries are the main source of exporting prostitutes and that speaks for itself.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You are right. I'm so glad that the rudeness disappears. It will however take a few decades until it's totally gone. What's really annoying me is that ''Look, a black guy!'' attitude. When I see someone doing this in the tube or tram I feel like killing someone. This is fortunately disappearing too. Does ever happened to you, that you were shopping groceries and the cashier didn't said ''Hi.'' and didn't even looked in your eyes? It happened to me. I'm grateful, it was only once.
''Look, a black guy!'' attitude is rare here. I only learnt that we are racist from western newspapers. I also learnt that actually we realize that we are racist, but we pretend there is nothing like that from this forum lol. well, they know better

yup, it happens. Not very often though. But far not once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe