U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:01 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently found out I can get dual citizenship (US and Portuguese), because my father is an immigrant to the United States from Portugal.

What would be the benefits of getting dual citizenship? Has anyone done it? What is the process?

I believe if I'm a Portuguese citizen, I can settle anywhere within the EU, despite being an "American first".... what would be some of the other benefits and detractions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,336,921 times
tell me more please. I am also first generation in the US. Never thought about dual citizenship, but am curious why someone would want this. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just curious!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 4,119,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
tell me more please. I am also first generation in the US. Never thought about dual citizenship, but am curious why someone would want this. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just curious!
It's useful if a person would like to work within the European Union.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:31 PM

306 posts, read 685,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hello,

I recently found out I can get dual citizenship (US and Portuguese), because my father is an immigrant to the United States from Portugal.

What would be the benefits of getting dual citizenship? Has anyone done it? What is the process?

I believe if I'm a Portuguese citizen, I can settle anywhere within the EU, despite being an "American first".... what would be some of the other benefits and detractions?
Firstly you need to make sure that Protugal recognises dual citizenship. Spain does not. If you want to be Spanish you have to give up any other citizenship. Does your father have a Protugese passport? Is he still a portugese citizen? If he gave up his citizenship you may not be eligible.

There are many advantages to being dual. My son is dual Brit/American. I will be getting my dual British Citizenship soon as well. I think its a great thing. The world opens up to you. You, as a citizen of an EU country, can live in any EU country without needed a visa. Each country has different requirements to adhear to, like registering in Spain, but you may live there and work there. How awsome to live abroad for a few years and be able to work and experience more to life.

I say go for it if you can. Its a great opportunity. Protugal is amazingly beautiful. Spain is fantastic. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Firstly you need to make sure that Protugal recognises dual citizenship. Spain does not. If you want to be Spanish you have to give up any other citizenship. Does your father have a Protugese passport? Is he still a portugese citizen? If he gave up his citizenship you may not be eligible.

There are many advantages to being dual. My son is dual Brit/American. I will be getting my dual British Citizenship soon as well. I think its a great thing. The world opens up to you. You, as a citizen of an EU country, can live in any EU country without needed a visa. Each country has different requirements to adhear to, like registering in Spain, but you may live there and work there. How awsome to live abroad for a few years and be able to work and experience more to life.

I say go for it if you can. Its a great opportunity. Protugal is amazingly beautiful. Spain is fantastic. Good luck.

So I did some research.

Portugal does accept dual-citizenship.

My father is still a citizen (he never became a US citizen(, and retains his old Portuguese passport, though he hasn't been back in years. I think I'm definitely going to pursue it though... can never have too many options in life, right?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,336,921 times
Thanks all for the info. I don't plan on moving. My wifes family is here (US) as is most of mine now. Good infomation though!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 18,387 times
Hey Buddy... I was born in Lisbon, became an American Citizen, and am working in France right now. How awesome is this? Good Luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 21,623 times
Default You are right

I will be turning 49 on valentines day. I was brought to the US from Portugal, adopted by an airforce family. I am having to prove my citizenship right now and having a heck of a time. I'm getting there though. You are entitled to dual citizenship, I have found out that all my children are entitled to this benefit also. I have been told the cost is $150.00. There are countries like France, Norway,and others provide free education, free medical, housing, 12 weeks vacation is the norm. I don't know about you but I'm all over it. Good Luck, I think you may need your fathers Portuguese passport, there may be other proof you can provide I haven't checked it out that far, first trying to legitmate myself.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:56 AM

3,854 posts, read 6,118,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

The benefits are, first, being able to enter the EU - at least the Schengen countries - for an indefinite period of time without having to apply for a resident's permit.

Second, as mentioned, you can work anywhere in the EU. However, here the negative comes in: European taxation. On the other hand, also the benefits: your taxes pay for, most notably, health care (the good, the mediocre and the colossal errors, like in all systems), education, and public transport (depth and quality depending on country), among other things.

In short, the EU is great if you are student, retiree or, during your "working" years, lack ambition. But if you have ambitions of developing a business and enjoying the rewards and failures of your own risk-taking, the high taxation is a frustrating burden.

I would say go for the dual citizenship, save up as much as you can here in the US until retirement, hedge your dollars for euros, learn as much about the country, its language and its regions in the meantime, and think about/plan enjoying your retirement years there, or at least part-time if you can afford two domiciles.

All the best!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 17,011 times
Smile Portuguese ID

I am in the process of obtaining my ID card from Portugal. My father immigrated here from the Azores many years ago. I really wanted to apply for dual citizenship. I began the process about 8 months ago last December with Julia from the Consulate of Portugal in San Francisco. She has been amazing. I believe my process has been relatively quick..... We began in December consummating my parents marriage in Portugal, then submitting my application of a birth seat. This process from when I applied for my birth seat till now was about 5 months..... extremely fast given it can take up to 2 years. Julie from the consulate is the one who helped me in so many ways. I am now registered as being born there! Now, I am waiting form my ID card which can take up to 2 months to be processed.

Items that you have to obtain:

Birth certificate of Mother/Father from Portugal/Azores
Your Birth certificate
Your Passport
Marriage certificate for your parents

I hope this is helpful and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe