Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is immigration worse in Europe, or the United States??
Europe 53 57.61%
United States 39 42.39%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:33 AM

321 posts, read 1,097,194 times

Advertisements

Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
How are you comparing a continent to a country
I do it because of the title of the thread.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are mixing apples and oranges. Individual European countries are typically NOT diverse, quite the opposite.
No, actually the european countries are diverse. A german in the south has little to do with a german in the north.

Look at britain, don't tell me you can compare a scottish with an english .

It's the same in any european country.

Quote:
You can cluster them all you want into "Europe" but each country has to deal with it's own immigration policy.
It's true, but again it's not me who have chosen the topic of this thread.

Quote:
The point being that European countries are pretty homogenous and a whole bunch of north africans have come into the country and basically live like 2nd class citizens off by themselves....even after the first generation.
What's your point ? Do you mean a lot of european countries have a lot of dificulties to integrate its foreign population ?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ 91 View Post
ha. Europe is far more diverse than the United States.
Almost all of Europes states are homogenous.
And dont say anything about london, because its not that diverse in the first place
No, all european states are not homogenous, it's quiete the opposite.

It's like I'd say the americans are all the same...

Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
No, all european states are not homogenous, it's quiete the opposite.

It's like I'd say the americans are all the same...
Caseras, I'm with you, as are most "Europeans" I've met. One cannot compare US and Europe, because it's comparing apples (US) with a fruit sallad (Europe).
States and countries are not the same.
If Europe wasn't diverse, neither would the US be.
And if European countries (most) weren't heterogenous, there'd be no point to threads like this, nor would there have been 2 WORLD WARS.

Guess those two... incidents are forgotten as soon as someone doesn't want to accept that the US isn't the only country in the world that can say it's diverse.

I have no idea what's implied with "worse", and I'm not going to guess, but I'll say that I belive that European countries are more exposed to, and have been since the first man/woman set foot in each country, immigrants.
We have more neighbouring countries after all, and alot of people looking for a "better life" in another country than the native.

European countries have a longer history of immigration/emigration than the US does, for natural reasons, and now we're taking in people from all over the world.

I believe media and politicians make "immigration" seem far worse than it really is. It sells papers and collects votes...

Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
From everything I have read, it's worse in Europe and here is why:

1) In the US, we tend to absorb our immigrants and they and definitely their kids become Americans. The Europeans rather isolate them and it's almost a country within a country type set-up. There are some angry jobless youth that grew up in say...France, don't consider themselves French as much as with their native country.
I've heard a joke that the Germans wanted migrate workers to come (mostly from Turkey) and were surprised that human beings with feelings and families showed up

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
First of all, what is wrong with immigration to ? Countries like the US have people all over the world. Are you talking about illegal immigration or immigration in general?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
No, actually the european countries are diverse. A german in the south has little to do with a german in the north.

Look at britain, don't tell me you can compare a scottish with an english .

It's the same in any european country.

A Brit and a Scot seem waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more alike than Mexican-American from Cali and a German-American from New York, or a black person from the south, etc.

Try again.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
A Brit and a Scot seem waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more alike than Mexican-American from Cali and a German-American from New York, or a black person from the south, etc.

Try again.
What I have to try again, your example has little to do with what I said.

It's like saying try to compare a carribean-scottish living in Glasgow and a pakistani english living in the outskirt of London.

In another way, what you tend to prove is US doesn't exist, so much for the american way of life.

In US you've got a flag, an anthem, a gvt etc....in Scotland and in england they have their each other. IMO it makes a big difference.

But if you like we can talk about switzerland, or France, or Spain. These countries are more diverse than UK.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM

39 posts, read 94,646 times
Quote:
From everything I have read, it's worse in Europe and here is why:

1) In the US, we tend to absorb our immigrants and they and definitely their kids become Americans. The Europeans rather isolate them and it's almost a country within a country type set-up. There are some angry jobless youth that grew up in say...France, don't consider themselves French as much as with their native country.

2) Social welfare is much more prevalent in Europe. Immigrants in the US tend to come in, bust their butts working and build a better life...instead of sitting around on govt. assistance.

3) Europe is less open about racism and definitely has more class boundaries. ie) You don't get Colin Powells, Barack Obama's, Bill Clintons (poorer or middle class at best) rising to the heights of power in places like say England.

This is NOT a dig against Europe, they do some things a lot better than the US but as far as upward mobility, opportunity and absorbing immigrants into their culture it's not really close.

totally agree with you.. I am from Europe, born and raised in the Netherlands with different cultural background and eventhough I speak the language, studied and work hard, pay my taxes and try to be a part of the society , I will never be considered a Dutch person just because my parents aren't Natives. I also hate the fact that even though I sound dutch but when I actually get to meet whoever I spoke to they got shocked ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe