Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,407 times

Advertisements

I am looking into possibly moving to Denmark. How do i go about it..is it possible at the moment?, jobs?, adjusting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 84,371 times
It is unfortunately pretty hard to find a job in Denmark right now, even for Danes. Because of the global economic crisis most companies try to reduce their costs which means little to no investment (a friend of mine actually got laid off 2 weeks ago). It is definately not the best time for a foreigner to look for a job there unless you have some very special, highly sought after skills. But the situation was the opposite a couple of years ago as one could find a new job in no time so who knows, a brighter future might well be just around the corner (only this time it is not up to the Danes alone but to the whole world).
Just be aware that immigration laws are very strict in Denmark and you might have a very hard time getting a work permit if you're not a EU citizen.
As far as adapting is concerned, winters can be a bit long and people a bit cold and distant but other than that, it is just a regular western country (fantastic country imho).

Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 PM

81 posts, read 246,791 times
denmark's actually one of the nicer places in europe to move to. try and learn the language and culture a bit before you get there. tho i've found the danes to be quite accommodating if you dont speak danish but they appreciate it if you do, or thats been my experience.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,629 times
I totally agree with the messages. I am currently living in Denmark but been laid off, my suggestion is to go on a full intense Danish lesson, improve your language skills so you have a better chance to find a job. English speakers works in most big cities, in small town you will be struggling, the older folks some dont understand you they reply to you in på dansk if you ask a question. So no language mean no go, language mean ye ye. Oh cities accommodation is pricey beware. Go to 'Statsforvaltingen.dk' to apply a CPR citizen card. That its peace out!!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 AM

183 posts, read 601,296 times
1. Marry someone from Denmark
2. Have a really special, in-demand skill and strong Danish speaking ability.
3. Wait out the economic crisis (who knows how long this will last though), develop a skill that's in-demand there as well as speaking ability.
4. Go to university there (some grad courses taught in English), studying something that is in high demand, and learn the language well.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
You want to leave New Jersey for Denmark?!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times
I'm looking a possible move to Norway, and it is difficult. The best way is to have a company sponsor you naturally, but you have to show that you have some extremely in demand skills.

I am in the application process with a Norwegian company for a position and the issue of not being able to speak norsk has not been held against me. It is just a matter of getting the job.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
I hope you have lots of $$$$$$$$$$ because Denmark, and all of Scandinavia is insanely expensive. We are talking 8 euros for a cup of coffee expensive. If you are serious I would recommend finding a friend who lives there who will put you up. Going without knowing anyone, without a lot of money, or a job and you will be homeless.

Also, I believe unemployment is high in Denmark right now, as well as all of Europe. Now is not really a good time for Europe.

Good luck with the move.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 PM

221 posts, read 656,252 times
It is possible, seeing as you speak English and is hopefully a college graduate. We have this ranking system(yep we rank immigrants) where speaking english and having a university degree is pretty much the best you can get. So you should be able to.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 PM

183 posts, read 601,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
I'm looking a possible move to Norway, and it is difficult. The best way is to have a company sponsor you naturally, but you have to show that you have some extremely in demand skills.

I am in the application process with a Norwegian company for a position and the issue of not being able to speak norsk has not been held against me. It is just a matter of getting the job.
And Norway's unemployment is 4%. Though they aren't known for much outside the oil industry, so perhaps that employment is due to government subsidies or law requiring employers to hire as many people as possible? I know a similar situation exists in Japan, which is why they've been able to maintain a 5-6% unemployment rate through 20 years of economic decline. Of course, try getting a job in nearly any Japanese company, including a convenience store or fast food employee, without near-fluent Japanese speaking ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe