Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
They do intervene through the UN, including sending peacekeeping forces, and through other humanitarian channels, without having a stategical, geo-political, or economical interest.

This is true, but the UN has proven to be useless and ineffective in most areas of influence, and often ignored completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
This is true, but the UN has proven to be useless and ineffective in most areas of influence, and often ignored completely.
A few countries do indeed violate UN resolutions. The UN has as much power as member states choose to give it. Then you have the veto power in the security council.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:19 PM

178 posts, read 361,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
EU Countries are too provincial, can hardly stand each other and have no ability or desire to address or intervene in world crises except with words spoken at a distance. The stability to support the longevity needed to become a world influence is simply not there. Russia can hold them hostage at the drop of a hat.

look at what Russia is doing to the Ukraine with natural gas. Not pretty.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
look at what Russia is doing to the Ukraine with natural gas. Not pretty.
We cannot be sure that's the case. Russian Gazprom accused Ukraine of diverting fuel intended for Europe to use it in Ukraine. Ukraine has had internal problems. The eastern more ethnically Russian part of Ukraine is on the Moscow side whereas western Ukraine tend to favor the EU.

Anyway, Russia and Ukraine has reached a gas deal, so things will become as normal. Prime minister of Russia Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart, Yulia Tymoshenko, signed the protocl. Shipments to Europe will resume.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,678 times
I think a better comparison would be EU and the possible future North American Union (NAU). Problem is it won't likely happen since many people in the US are completely against it.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,723 times
in a perfect world it would be americas union! north and south !

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negodosul View Post
in a perfect world it would be americas union! north and south !
even not, in a perfect world this kinf of stupid topic wouldn't exist

Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Must we constantly have those endless discussions /attacks about who is better/worse than the other ? I cannot believe the energy some people are wasting trying to diminish other Nations. If we could harness the negativity of some posters we could probably dispose of every single electric power station....

Can't we be a little bit more mature for a change... Why is it some people can only exist by denigrating others. I will never get this.

It is like peeing competitions that 6 year old boys have against walls to see who can aim the highest except in this case it is more a question of how low can you get.
There is no "greatest" Nation, there is no absolute as to whom is better or worse. Why should the E.U collapse and more to the point why on earth do some people relish that prospect so much.

I find all this incredible churlish negativity pathetic and quite frankly intellectually dishonest. Maybe I am the only one though but brandishing flags and thinking myself superior to others has never really rocked my boat.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Must we constantly have those endless discussions /attacks about who is better/worse than the other ? I cannot believe the energy some people are wasting trying to diminish other Nations. If we could harness the negativity of some posters we could probably dispose of every single electric power station....

Can't we be a little bit more mature for a change... Why is it some people can only exist by denigrating others. I will never get this.

It is like peeing competitions that 6 year old boys have against walls to see who can aim the highest except in this case it is more a question of how low can you get.
There is no "greatest" Nation, there is no absolute as to whom is better or worse. Why should the E.U collapse and more to the point why on earth do some people relish that prospect so much.

I find all this incredible churlish negativity pathetic and quite frankly intellectually dishonest. Maybe I am the only one though but brandishing flags and thinking myself superior to others has never really rocked my boat.

I couldn't agree more. I could understand where some Europeans felt discontent over their current loss of nationality as they gain EU status. As an American though my government/people has spent billions and shed blood to ensure that there is a more unified Europe. It is good for both entities to remain at close terms with each other and as many Americans have learned, the Europeans make great trading partners.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It is like peeing competitions that 6 year old boys have against walls to see who can aim the highest.
Good grief, Charlie Brown....peeing contests are not up against a wall. They are up a tree. Do I gotta teach you ev'rythin?

But to get back to topic:
Will EU overtake US--maybe someday.
Do I care: No.
Why not: We are well off. If they become as rich as we do, what is the harm?
But wont they attack us>: Rich countries don't go to war against rich countries. Poor countries attack other poor countries, or seldom rich ones.
What am I worried about: Protectionism and intolerance.
What should I worry about: ???? donno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe