Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:43 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Somebody's watched too many episodes of In The Heat Of The Night.

We moved to Alabama after living in Chicago, San Diego, Baltimore, and Cleveland. If people like Suzie02 were to be believed, there were Klan rallies held every Friday night in the town squares.

In the fifteen years since I lived here, I have heard the N-word exactly once, which is one sixth the number of times I heard it at my uncle's dinner table in Ohio last Thanksgiving. There's a nice Mosque down the road from us, and two different synagogues within 500 yards of my house. My daughter has friends from pretty much all ethnicities, as does our neighborhood.

In fact, some pious halfwits did a documentary about being Muslim in America, and dressed some well-intentioned college girl up in Muslim garb and walked into some rural Alabama restaurant and filmed the results. Guess what? Nobody gave her a second look, and the condescending film crew marveled at how respectfully they were treated. In other words, the film crew were indulging in stereotypes like Suzie, while the people of Alabama were not.
I do not know anything about Alabama. I am not going by a stereotype. I have lived it in 3 different Georgia cities. I had a roommate who used the n-word all the time. Also I can't tell you how many times I heard people say "I am not racist but" and follow that by a racist comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I do not know anything about Alabama. I am not going by a stereotype. I have lived it in 3 different Georgia cities. I had a roommate who used the n-word all the time. Also I can't tell you how many times I heard people say "I am not racist but" and follow that by a racist comment.
Oh, one roommate and a couple of people define an entire section of the country? And you're not stereotyping? Holy mackerel, I lived in San Diego, and you should have heard those Californians talk about Latinos. And, as I noted before, the upper midwest of Chicago and Cleveland are pretty awful. To be totally honest with you, we were utterly blown away by the relative lack of tensions down here. It ain't paradise, but it sure isn't the hellish place you paint it to be.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:59 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, one roommate and a couple of people define an entire section of the country? And you're not stereotyping? Holy mackerel, I lived in San Diego, and you should have heard those Californians talk about Latinos. And, as I noted before, the upper midwest of Chicago and Cleveland are pretty awful. To be totally honest with you, we were utterly blown away by the relative lack of tensions down here. It ain't paradise, but it sure isn't the hellish place you paint it to be.
I didn't say a couple of people. I lived there for many years and there is racism. I also lived in Arizona and I saw racism toward Mexicans.

I have lived in Spain and there is nothing like the racism here over there which was my original point.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:18 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,630 times
Not counting the stuff that makes the news (soccer hooligans, blatant racism, etc), I've heard terrible things from people who've studied abroad there -- and these are from "normal" WHITE Americans. I'd vouch that Spain is second to only Russia in terms of xenophobia these days; it's that bad.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 PM

549 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Spain is a beauty... I mean...you cant compare a western European country like Spain and the U.S. "The U.S. is a new world country" and Spain has a richer and older western European culture. Spain has one of the best health care systems in the world. I have family in barcelona and Malaga... and they couldn´t be happier. BTW, You should visit the "Basque country" in Spain when you get there. Basque people are the original Europeans (the oldest ethnically pure group in Europe). They are the most direct descendants from prehistoric Western Europeans and they have the highest percent of "Western European genes" .They are closely related to Irish and Scottish (75-95% of British and Irish (genetic) matches derive from Iberia > Spain).

55% of the Basque population have "O negative blood" and the B blood is virtually nonexistent.

Estimating the Impact of Prehistoric Admixture on the Genome of Europeans -- Dupanloup et al. 21 (7): 1361 -- Molecular Biology and Evolution

I have heard it said that a higher proportion of Basque people have O-negative blood than other populations and that this is because they are the oldest ethnically pure group in Europe. Is there any truth in this assertion? Is blood group an inherite

Basque people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times
Spain is awesome. Where else can you wake up at 9, go to work after an espresso, come back at 1:30 for lunch, take a nap, go back, come back to home at 7 or 8, eat a light dinner, then go dancing or chat with the locals till 2 AM, then wake up the next day to start all over again?

That's what I experienced when I visited my aunt in the early 90s.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Also, what are some of the top fields in Spain right now in terms of making a living? I'm studying biochemistry right now, but I plan to further my education also (not necessarily in Chemistry).

----------

Burgler

We have plenty of those degrees here....No, not real possibilities.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Not counting the stuff that makes the news (soccer hooligans, blatant racism, etc), I've heard terrible things from people who've studied abroad there -- and these are from "normal" WHITE Americans. I'd vouch that Spain is second to only Russia in terms of xenophobia these days; it's that bad.
------

What were they, walking roaches?
No racial issues yet.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Can anyone answer this? Before the massive immigrations of poor north african illegals and poverty stricken latino illegals and legals arrived, was there much discrimination? It seems to me that when you introduce large numbers of impoverished immigrants to take Spanish jobs that the result might be a growing hatred of those ppl.
----

No race issues.
Right now I've got a couple of Bolivians, they are pure Indians, painting and repairing my house, and they live peacefully here in Spain. They have no problem whatsoever.
Sometimes, there might be some problem with Latin Kings or Latin Gangs, but nothing compared to the troubles we have with local punks.
In don't think that Mestizo Latins will have any problems in inner Spain. They speak Spanish, they work hard and they are needed to tend elders.
Sometimes Latin kids allow rural schools to be open, and they are needed there because rural Spain is deserted.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Can anyone answer this? Before the massive immigrations of poor north african illegals and poverty stricken latino illegals and legals arrived, was there much discrimination? It seems to me that when you introduce large numbers of impoverished immigrants to take Spanish jobs that the result might be a growing hatred of those ppl.
----

The main problem we have in Spain is the Spanish youth. They are overindulged and they don't want to work. They only want to drink and smoke pot, so immigrants are necessary.

Immigrants don't take Spanish jobs, for example, in Andalusia, a large percentage of workers receive welfare or subsidised (fake) jobs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe