Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,488 times

Advertisements

The Euro is now 10 years old. How is it faring?

What is your opinion of the Euro?

Is it a good currency?

Will it survive in the long term?

Discuss your feelings about the Euro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
It is doing well, I think it will be around quite a long while, longer than my life time.

However, my wife's relatives in Spain did not like it. The Euro made things much more expensive for them, not initially, but eventually the cost of staples doubled in many cases.

The difference between the Euro and the BSP also allowed many Brits the opportunity to come down to Spain and purchase up all the cheap real estate. What what was affordable is now out of reach for many, this drove the prices of real estate through the roof.

So, my wife's family does not care for it. I liked it because we did not have to constantly convert currencies when we used to flow from one country to another during our backpacking days.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM

476 posts, read 2,818,691 times
a strong euro is a good thing for US.It is very good for your export and for your tourism( from europa).And that is quite bad for the Paris's tourism.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
The Euro is now 10 years old. How is it faring?

What is your opinion of the Euro?

Is it a good currency?

Will it survive in the long term?

Discuss your feelings about the Euro.

Wouldn't it be great if the OP actually discussed his/her feelings about the Euro rather than just throwing out a subject and then watching the fur fly?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs78 View Post
a strong euro is a good thing for US.It is very good for your export and for your tourism( from europa).And that is quite bad for the Paris's tourism.
And tourism is only 3% of Paris economy.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
The financial crisis is proving that, for the moment, there safety in numbers that comes from joining one, big currency. Smaller countries have seen their economies collapse, and even the UK (a strongly adverse nation to the Euro), is now opening the debate once more on joining.

The chief complaints from governments during the euro's first 10 years have arisen from the bank's one-size-fits-all interest rate policy, which can't give rate cuts to individual countries if their economy dips while others rise.

The euro has soared in strength and value, rising to as high as US$1.6038 against the dollar this year. It's down to around $1.40, but has risen strongly against the British pound.

One of the other posters mentioned a Spanish perspective, which reflects a somewhat naïve understanding. Spain now has a monetary policy that it wouldn't have been capable of doing in the absence of the euro. Spain had a far greater tendency toward inflation and interests rates would be higher. Euro countries now are able to integrate finances with other foreign countries, which made it easier to invest abroad. Banks can operate on a wider scale, and people could buy shares more easily.

Some 15 million new jobs in the last six years have been created by making trade and travel easier through a single market. That has also invited more foreign investment, too. With the inclusion of Slovakia, the euro will be used by about 330 million people with a gross domestic product of more than euro4 trillion ($5.5 trillion).

Euro countries now enjoy a bigger and more efficient bond market with less risk of currency devaluations and inflation. Newer EU members such as Poland, the Czech Republic and the Baltic countries Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are in the process of meeting the conditions of joining the euro zone, but the crisis has put their hopes off for now.

When the debate fires up again in the UK, I hope that the true economic arguments are communicated clearly to the public, rather than the xenophobic rantings of Europe’s conservatives.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The financial crisis is proving that, for the moment, there safety in numbers that comes from joining one, big currency. Smaller countries have seen their economies collapse, and even the UK (a strongly adverse nation to the Euro), is now opening the debate once more on joining.

The chief complaints from governments during the euro's first 10 years have arisen from the bank's one-size-fits-all interest rate policy, which can't give rate cuts to individual countries if their economy dips while others rise.

The euro has soared in strength and value, rising to as high as US$1.6038 against the dollar this year. It's down to around $1.40, but has risen strongly against the British pound.

One of the other posters mentioned a Spanish perspective, which reflects a somewhat naïve understanding. Spain now has a monetary policy that it wouldn't have been capable of doing in the absence of the euro. Spain had a far greater tendency toward inflation and interests rates would be higher. Euro countries now are able to integrate finances with other foreign countries, which made it easier to invest abroad. Banks can operate on a wider scale, and people could buy shares more easily.

Some 15 million new jobs in the last six years have been created by making trade and travel easier through a single market. That has also invited more foreign investment, too. With the inclusion of Slovakia, the euro will be used by about 330 million people with a gross domestic product of more than euro4 trillion ($5.5 trillion).

Euro countries now enjoy a bigger and more efficient bond market with less risk of currency devaluations and inflation. Newer EU members such as Poland, the Czech Republic and the Baltic countries Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are in the process of meeting the conditions of joining the euro zone, but the crisis has put their hopes off for now.

When the debate fires up again in the UK, I hope that the true economic arguments are communicated clearly to the public, rather than the xenophobic rantings of Europe’s conservatives.
you meant $11 trillion

Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
you meant $11 trillion

No, I meant exactly what I wrote. Since when has the exchange rate been 2.75 dollars to the euro?

Last edited by Mag3.14; 01-06-2009 at 05:19 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
No, I meant exactly what I wrote. Since when has the exchange rate been 2.75 dollars to the euro?
lol poor guy

Reuters

Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
lol poor guy

Reuters

OK, I'll explain (as it seems I must ).
The numbers I posted were correct for the timeframe I was referencing.
The article you published was in March 2008 (almost a year ago), at which point the US economy was hemorrhaging, but the eurozone was yet to catch up. At that time, even the British per capita GDP surpassed the US's (when converting at the current exchange rate).
You will now find that the euro is back to 1.33 to the dollar (rather than the 1.60's at the time), and the pound fetching only $1.43 (rather than $2.02 in March last year).

Apart from palming off internet links (as if they are supposed to argue for you), you have managed to change the subject. My post was to the OP@s question about the euro. Whats your take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe