U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
12,795 posts, read 9,814,832 times
Reputation: 11232
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Your unemployment numbers are old! Haven't you heard the US unemployment is now 7.2?

Also, your per capita income data is also 5 years old.
GLOBAL/WORLD INCOME PER CAPITA GNI, GNP, GDP, 2008, 2007 2006, 2005 Wealth, Rich Country Ranking, Rank, Developing Countries : Finfacts Ireland
If this one is accurate, at least its from 2008, the US is number 7 after several socialist european countries.

The US in the developed world is number 1 at one thing, debt per person, US deficit is in the $30,000 range per resident.. amazing accomplishment!
United States:
2008 January 152,828,000 144,607,000 8,221,000 5.4%
February 152,503,000 144,550,000 7,953,000 March 153,135,000 145,108,000 8,027,000
April 153,208,000 145,921,000 7,287,000 4.8%
May 154,003,000 145,927,000 8,076,000 5.2%
June 155,582,000 146,649,000 8,933,000 5.7%
July 156,300,000 146,867,000 9,433,000 6.0%
August 155,387,000 145,909,000 9,479,000 6.1%

September 154,509,000 145,310,000 9,199,000 6.0%
October 155,012,000 145,543,000 9,469,000 6.1%
November 154,624,000 144,609,000 10,015,000 6.5%

LAST 12 MONTH AVG 154,233,083 145,611,167 8,621,917 5.6% 5.5%




The euro area1 (EA15) seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate2 stood at 7.1% in March 2008, unchanged compared with February3. It was 7.5% in March 2007. The EU271 unemployment rate was 6.7% in March 2008, also unchanged compared with February3. It was 7.3% in March 2007.
AaE: March 2008: Euro area unemployment stable at 7.1%



Debt is debt of people, I'm not saying most Americans aren't crazy for spending more than they make.

I do realize my first post was from 2005 now, but hey.. at least I didn't post false information. The unemployment of USA in 2008 (average) was 5.6%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 9,385,622 times
Reputation: 3652
Why does almost every thread that begins with a discussion about one particular country or region have to become a ridiculous chest-beating contest?

Enough is enough.

Stick to the topic at hand, folks. If you wish to discuss other topics, then start threads specificly for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
 
105 posts, read 131,614 times
Reputation: 33
Originally Posted by TomDot
How Long Before EU collapses?



Around 2024 to 2028.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:37 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,008,438 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Right now , the world depends on the USA, it is obvious. I'm not saying China won't be the next superpower, hell I'm learning Chinese in expectation of it. But as of now, there is not a more influential country in this world. Think what you want, not my problem.
What is obvious is actually the world doens't depend on you anymore, you are just a player among others, a big player but just a player.

You should read what I said, I have never said the US wasn't influential.



Quote:
What stats do you use to prove that US is inferior?
no one since I never said US was inferior. Saying US is not the best anymore doesn't mean US is inferior....


As for the unemployment I use this one

US bureau of labor statistics

here is what they say :

Quote:
Nonfarm payroll employment declined sharply in December, and the unemployment
rate rose from 6.8 to 7.2 percent,
the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S.
Department of Labor reported today. Payroll employment fell by 524,000 over the
month and by 1.9 million over the last 4 months of 2008. In December, job losses
were large and widespread across most major industry sectors.
Unemployment

Quote:
World:6.3%East Asia:3.8%Rich countries:6.7%</SPAN>United States:5.1%</SPAN>European Union:8.7%</SPAN>Japan:4.5%</SPAN>Australia:4.8%Latin America:7.7%Africa:9.7%Middle East:13.2%
BTW European union it's 7,8 % and absolutely not 8,7.

European Unemployment rate

Is there something you don't understand here ?
United states 5,1 lol. You are very funny you know that.

Quote:
Per capita income: USA is #2 to a country with less than 500,000 people.
Per Capita Income Around the World


here is something you forget

Quote:
Most of the per capita income figures in these tables are from the World Bank and are for 2003. Where figures were unavailable from the World Bank the per capita income figures are from the CIA Fact Book.
your figures are from 2003. Today, US is well placed but unfortunaly not number two anymore even not number three or four....

So what's your point ? you are saying more you are rich the best you are ?

Unfortunately things are not so simple.

here is a very good survey who prove that

HDI

It shows the US still has something to learn from the others.


Quote:
Please don't come back to me with the worth of the Euro over the dollar either, save your breath.
Why do you say that ?

Actually, I don't care about the value of the euro vs dollar. I did not post anything about that here.



Quote:
Why do I call it the liberal media? Maybe because the information that is presented isn't fact, simply uninformed opinion that is put on TV and made worldwide because for some reason it is the new fad to bash the USA.
Excuse me, but what are you talking about ?

As I said, I used two sources : Wikipedia and US bureau of labor statistics.

Facts I presented are these one :

7,2 = unemployment rate in US
198 orders for A380
Airbus is bigger than boeing for 2002.

Quote:
I'm not saying it is the views of all europeans, hell I've talked to some quite well informed Europeans. But I bet there are a lot more people that think Michael Moore is exposing truth and not selling entertainment than you think...
And again, why are you talking about michael moore ?
Did I say anything about his reports ? I don't think so. Stop your prejudices my pal, we have very good reason to think the US is not the example to follow anymore. It's not a cliché, and not based on liberal medai.



Quote:
Socialism has not ruled Europe for 5 decades, yes it has socialistic views and programs, but it is NOT socialism, just as US is not COMPLETELY capitalistic. We have programs here that can also be classified as socialism...
Here we go. So you americans aren't very clear about this issue. For example, sometimes, European nations are socialist ones but sometimes they are not. So the real definition of socialism is the one you defend here, but actually, in the international affairs, the european economy are describedas being of socialist kind.


Quote:
Europe competes on the Global Market... Europe is not socialism.
So , good news for you, only Korea and Cuba still apply what you call socialism. So if what I call communsim you call that socialism, we agree, it doesn't work.



But let me here quote the guy you tried to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
The welfare state of Europe is destroying it's people. How can you be self reliant or self starting when the government wipes your behind for you?
Socialism has never worked and it never will.
he clearly makes a link between the states of Europe and socialism...


Quote:
Eastern Europe always had socialist influence in their parties.
In france and italy too. very strong influence.

Quote:
Brainwashed? No, I just realize that I get a better standard of living here in the US than I could in any other country.
But it's not true
Standard of living definition

I don't go further in this way, but just tell you according the definition and the criteria, in any way US cannot be the nation who give to its people the best standard of living./


Quote:
I'll bring facts all you want, go ahead an argue with your sarcasm.
Weel, and that's the reason why I still wait for him. oh and BTW choose them better than we did here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-12-2009, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 2,725,698 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
None of the european countries have a debt like the US (30,000 per citizen). I can see the US collapsing before the EU.
They do not have debt like ours because for the last 60 years they have had very little defense spending. That is because we have been spending 20% of what we earn to defend them.
In other words the U.S. is doing all the heavy lifting.

P.S. Please put your profile photo of Gov. Palin back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: England
1,970 posts, read 1,432,207 times
Reputation: 1535
The thing is TomDot I get the feeling that you want the EU to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 2,725,698 times
Reputation: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The thing is TomDot I get the feeling that you want the EU to fail.
I thought it was a bad idea from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: England
1,970 posts, read 1,432,207 times
Reputation: 1535
Why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-13-2009, 08:57 AM
 
1,567 posts, read 613,551 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
They do not have debt like ours because for the last 60 years they have had very little defense spending. That is because we have been spending 20% of what we earn to defend them.
In other words the U.S. is doing all the heavy lifting.

P.S. Please put your profile photo of Gov. Palin back up.
The EU spends more than enough to protect its people. The reason we have such a huge defense spending is due to people like you. Who see nothing wrong with spending an absurd amount of money to terrorize an entire populace of people who'd not be our "enemies" if it wasn't for foreign policy. And even then most people do not view us as an enemy. That gave strength to dictators over a democratic country. Yes, that is right. The US toppled most legitimate governments in these countries and installed oppresive governments. How would you feel if someone bigger than you kicked your butt and when they "left" they left you with nothing to eat or trade nothing to prosper with? You'd be po'd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: England
1,970 posts, read 1,432,207 times
Reputation: 1535
I'm waiting TomDot. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top