U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 AM

337 posts, read 1,179,695 times

Advertisements

Why do so many Europeans smoke cigarettes?

Whenever I travel in Europe I am always amazed by the extremely high percentage of Europeans that smoke cigarettes. This seems strange to me considering that people in Europe tend to be better educated and more affluent that people in many other parts of the world. I would think that the more educated and affluent a person is the less likely they would be to smoke. But this is clearly not the case in Europe.

A couple explanations I thought of: Herd behavior (people in Europe smoke because everyone else does), Europeans do not care as much about their health, they are more concerned with enjoying themselves than living a long healthy life.

If you have any opinion or insights into why such a high percentage of Europeans smoke please let me know your thoughts.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 AM

4,157 posts, read 5,564,744 times
Why do so many Europeans smoke cigarettes ?

Because they are STUPID

(from an European who doesn't smoke cigarettes, only reefers in my salad days...)

Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,190,210 times
As Europe is a continent it depends which country you go to rather than "tarring the whole continent with the same brush" Spain, Italy, France has alot of smokers compared to here.

But you'll find that not everyone smokes. I myself am disgusted by smoking and would never ever try it.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,650,425 times
Lots of people in former Yugoslavia smoke. It's quite saddening. I've told a couple of them about how bad it is, and they get so mad and defensive. Including my mom. *sigh*

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM

576 posts, read 781,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Why do so many Europeans smoke cigarettes ?

Because they are STUPID

(from an European who doesn't smoke cigarettes, only reefers in my salad days...)
Why stupids my friend? I am not european but I am cigarettes' smoker and I don't feel a stupid.
I think smoke cigarettes is less dangerous than:
-Drive high speed
-Parachutes
-Bung jump
-Radical sports
-Smell diesel smoke
-Heavy traffic
-Air pollution, water pollution
-Live near nuclear plant
-Walk at night (or day) some cities streets
-Fire guns
-Politicians
-Political economist
Etc..., Etc...and Etc...
How you can see, have many, many things very much dangerous in the world than Smoke Cigarette.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,650,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Why stupids my friend? I am not european but I am cigarettes' smoker and I don't feel a stupid.
I think smoke cigarettes is less dangerous than:
-Drive high speed
-Parachutes
-Bung jump
-Radical sports
-Smell diesel smoke
-Heavy traffic
-Air pollution, water pollution
-Live near nuclear plant
-Walk at night (or day) some cities streets
-Fire guns
-Politicians
-Political economist
Etc..., Etc...and Etc...
How you can see, have many, many things very much dangerous in the world than Smoke Cigarette.
Hmm. No.

You'll see... it doesn't per say affect you right away, but when it does, it'll be a lot worse than sitting in heavy traffic, firing a gun, or anything to do with a politician. You're just killing yourself slowly.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:17 PM

27,806 posts, read 23,059,172 times
I don't know if this is the case for Europe as a whole, but I read about a case in Germany. It isn't so much that Americans smoke less than Europeans, but in the USA, smoking in public is frowned upon, but in Europe, smoking in public is accepted, therefore, people will smoke in cafes and the restaurants.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM

7,518 posts, read 14,698,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Why do so many Europeans smoke cigarettes?
Why are Californians so obsessed with health even though they live in one of the most polluted states?

Quote:
Whenever I travel in Europe I am always amazed by the extremely high percentage of Europeans that smoke cigarettes. This seems strange to me considering that people in Europe tend to be better educated and more affluent that people in many other parts of the world. I would think that the more educated and affluent a person is the less likely they would be to smoke. But this is clearly not the case in Europe.
The few times that I have been to Europe I didn't notice an excessive amount of smokers, even when I was in France and Italy. Yes, I saw many smokers, but not any more than I see in the states. The reason why so many Europeans smoke is that it is relatively socially acceptable, and unlike the US, most Europeans do like to have the government tell them how to live, let alone some health nut. Besides, if two world wars, numerous smaller wars and countless uprisings/revolutions were waged in your front yard, back yard and living room, you might be a little bit more relaxed with the idea of smoking. Anyways, to answer your question; it is a cultural thing just like how in the South (US) they love to eat excessive amounts of fried and greasy food.

Quote:
A couple explanations I thought of: Herd behavior (people in Europe smoke because everyone else does), Europeans do not care as much about their health, they are more concerned with enjoying themselves than living a long healthy life.
Herd behavior? That is a pretty ignorant statement.

There is an old George Carlin joke that goes, Eat right, stay fit, and die anyways. A good friend of mine watched his dad pass away of cancer a few years ago. His old man was only in his fifties, eat healthy, played racquet ball a few times a week, never smoked, and blah blah blah. If you are concerned about the ill effects of smoking then I suggest that you do not live in a city. Aside from the general amount of pollutants in the air, car exhaust is just as carcinogenic as cigarets and diesel exhaust contains the most highly carcinogenic substance known to man. Just breathing city air is the equivalent of smoking at least half a pack a day.

Quote:
If you have any opinion or insights into why such a high percentage of Europeans smoke please let me know your thoughts.
My thoughts are that Europeans do not smoke any more than anyone else. It is a stereotype and a generalization.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,667,662 times
There's some overly defensive smokers in denial in this thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,599,278 times
I might add that MANY Asians also smoke cigarettes. As do Russians. As do many in South America and Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe