U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Default Study Abroad in Fulda, Germany summer

I am thinking of studing abroad in Fulda, Germany. The price is right, that is the main reason. Can anyone give me any information about the Hessan Institute and if Fulda is a good choice for a college age student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,060,490 times
The city of Fulda has a website you might check out.
I grew up in the area and really enjoyed it.
You might want to give more information on what you are looking for.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 PM

1,773 posts, read 4,894,598 times
I lived in the Rhoen mountain area south of Fulda for nearly 4 years while I was in the US Army. Fulda was a frequent destination as the largest "small city" in the area. I've been there many times since then and it has not changed much over the past 3 decades. The biggest change is that there are no longer many American residents around there. At one time during the "cold war" era in the 1960s to 1994 there were thousands of US Army soldiers and dependents living in and around Downs Barracks. This was the home of the 11th Armored Calvary Regiment and thousands of other troops in Fulda and nearby outposts in the "Fulda Gap" area. Most of the "GI Bars" and other signs of the former American presence are gone. The local economy took a big hit when the US shut the doors, but Fulda has benefited with the re-unification of Germany because of it's location.

The great thing about Fulda is that you are literally in the middle of Germany. It is a stop on both north-south (Hamburg to Munich) and east-west (Berlin-Frankfurt) high speed rail routes. The surrounding countryside is also very beautiful. True, there are not high mountains like the Alps, but the rural towns nearby are authentic and uncommercialized.

If you want big city entertainment, Frankfurt is a relatively short train ride. I think you might like Fulda unless you need big city activities every day. If you are studying, it might be good to be in a smaller city with fewer entertainment options than the big cities of Germany.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM

179 posts, read 306,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kearney View Post
I am thinking of studing abroad in Fulda, Germany. The price is right, that is the main reason. Can anyone give me any information about the Hessan Institute and if Fulda is a good choice for a college age student.
I'm pretty sure something like a "Hessan Institute" doesn't even exist.
The only major university in Fulda is the Hochschule Fulda.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:21 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,241,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
I'm pretty sure something like a "Hessan Institute" doesn't even exist.
Unless it was meant to say *Hessen* ?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 PM

119 posts, read 237,197 times
Default Fulda

spent 15 months there many years ago
pretty town, lovely countryside- can remind you of "Amish country" in south central PA, farms, rolling hills, all that
but, not much to do so be prepared to get into something (e.g., hiking, soccer, weekend escapes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe